Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   General Motors News - Jalopnik releases rendering of C7 ZR1 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37136)

SPEEDKILLAR 04-19-2006 03:12 PM

At 200km/p that "thing" will start to disintegrate, but untill it reaches that speed it could be fun.

nthfinity 04-19-2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR
At 200km/p that "thing" will start to disintegrate, but untill it reaches that speed it could be fun.

wow, speedillar has returned!

BTW; 200kph really isnt that fast... in fact; that is likely to be just out of 3rd gear at that time... still 2 fully usable gears left, and an economy gear for cruising ;)

SPEEDKILLAR 04-19-2006 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Quote:

Originally Posted by SPEEDKILLAR

wow, speedillar has returned!

BTW; 200kph really isnt that fast... in fact; that is likely to be just out of 3rd gear at that time... still 2 fully usable gears left, and an economy gear for cruising ;)

I was just kidding, I like the car, its price and power, but the interior could use some improvements here and there.

bmwmpower 04-19-2006 03:35 PM

it looks nice, but engine will be too heavy on front, those american cars re cheaper then european ones, this seems interesting

nthfinity 04-19-2006 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwmpower
it looks nice, but engine will be too heavy on front, those american cars re cheaper then european ones, this seems interesting

if by front heavy; you mean FRD with low angular momentum, you are quite right... in fact, there is less engine in front of the imaginary axis of the front axle then in the E60 M5.... its just more displacement; and possibly a lighter engine.

TNT 04-19-2006 03:39 PM

wow my topic really took off ;)

LotusGT1 04-20-2006 11:25 AM

How is the current CTS-V selling in the US? Prices seem low if you look at eBay....

RC45 04-20-2006 11:29 AM

They sell every single one.

Prices are low because Lincoln and Cadillac while luxury cars, are super mass produced and traditionally have very poor value retention and thus resale value.

A new Lincoln Towncar is $50K or more new, but you can buy a 12 month old lease turn-in vehicle for about $24,000.

LotusGT1 04-20-2006 11:30 AM

Sounds like a drama with you drop $25k in one year...

Makes them more interesting for second hand buyers though :twisted:

RC45 04-20-2006 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LotusGT1
Sounds like a drama with you drop $25k in one year...

Makes them more interesting for second hand buyers though :twisted:

Understand that the size of the auto industry in the US is huge.. you are talking 100,000's of cars of many models produced... some times millions.

Rental fleets, company fleets, government fleets - millions of cars sold/leased etc - so the "used" value of a car is nothing... because there are so many - prices reflect what it takes to move the used cars at auction.

So the $50K sticker of a towncar limo for a limo service is nothing - as they just pay a 12 or 18 month lease rate, and forgo the residual value buy-back to turn the car back to the dealer/distributor/lease company etc and trade in for a new one.

Again, the result is a glut of good condition low mileage used cars that have already made some money for the finance house, now it's the turn of the wholesaler to make some money off the car, sells it to a dealer who inturn sells it back into the market place - and so on and so forth.

LotusGT1 04-20-2006 01:34 PM

OK, but when you are a private party and want to buy a new CTS-V, you're fucked if you want to sell it relatively soon :?:

RC45 04-20-2006 01:59 PM

This is true for all regular production autos (or any consumer product in the US)

Coming from South Africa, where car prices rose rapidly each year after 1988 - where a Golf GTi used to cost about R8,000 new in 1984, to costing over R100,000 in the late 1990's - I was used to a market where the value of used vehicles was held up by the escalating cost of new vehicles.

Where it was not unheard of for a 5 year old car to sell on the used market for higher than the original price when new.

But coming to the US where the economy of scale is mind boggling --- the dealers in the city of Houston probably sell more new cars a year than many counrties do (and I am not talking about poverty stricken countries with 3 roads and a self-proclaimed Dictator President for Life either... ;))

You see the prices of new cars creeping up maybe $100 or $200 a year... maybe.. in fact, many times the newest latest model comes out at a LOWER price than the outgoing model.

This was true for the C5 Coupe and the C6 Coupe.

New prices for those 2 cars were a couple hundred dollars less than the last model out going car.

Imagine that logic and economy of scale and markket mindset being applied to Corollas, Civic, Malibus, Camry's etc etc etc.

You end up with literally millions of used cars that have little to no residual value.

Add to this the new car rebate and discount incentives, 0% financing incentives etc etc etc - and you see why the car is just another commodity in the US and the profit is in the amount of turnover you can generate, not always in the "profit per unit" -- like WalMart yeah? ;) Only a few % profit, but apply that to nearly a billion dollars in turnover revenue per day you see a large dollar amount.

Now this does not always mean the best for the manufacturer, because all the while they are stuck with rising health care and pension costs etc.

Any way... the point is that used cars are dirt cheap in the USA... and even someone working as a shelf packer in WalMart can get a half decent used car for $5,000 and pay it off over 3 years ;)

nthfinity 04-20-2006 04:04 PM

found a new car today

and it didn't sound turbocharged; or like a 4 banger... i'm not affluent in GM v6 engines; but that is almost cirtainly what i saw today... a Pontiac Solstice V6... i'll post some pictures later. 8)

it appeared to handle well, and have liniar accelleration; but not a lot in the noise department as he passed me.

noliebro 04-20-2006 05:52 PM

i will agree that the current cts is lacking on some build quality, but overall is a great car, cant wait for the super V, the regular CTS-V has one of the sickess sounding engines ever. and the next gen CTS is gonna blow everything away inside and out IMHO. :D

bmwmpower 04-20-2006 06:31 PM

that old sound great, sure for buying used, im these days daily in carlots and here is situation different,
used Focus with basic price 12 K euro as new
after 5 years old average condition still 6-7 K
6-7 years old 5-6 K

nthfinity 04-21-2006 12:45 AM

http://nthimage.com/spy_shots/spy_shots_rules.htm

photos are in there, the only Solstice... a few others are interesting :)

SilviaEvo 04-21-2006 12:59 AM

hmmmmm thats a little weird. i thought it was already released? or did it have a smaller engine?

nthfinity 04-21-2006 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilviaEvo
hmmmmm thats a little weird. i thought it was already released? or did it have a smaller engine?

4 cyclinder engines; and mid-summer the turbo 4's are coming out... this is almost definately neither... he passed me in goign about 80mph; and the window was down :)

r2r 04-21-2006 01:08 AM

interesting!

More power is always good.

It seems like GM is competing with themselves, possibly the solstice with more power and the sky redline coming soon.

nthfinity 05-03-2006 09:21 PM

General Motors News

you guessed it. Post all General Motors news in here

nthfinity 08-07-2006 12:28 PM

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...=2006608060568
Quote:

BY TOM WALSH and MARK PHELAN

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITERS

The 400-horsepower Chevrolet Camaro concept generated buzz at the North American International Auto Show in January. (MANDI WRIGHT/Detroit Free Press)

Related articles:

• TOM WALSH: At last, GM's strategy is making sense

• Phelan's first to drive Camaro concept

Photo galleries:

More Photos Camaro

More Photos Camaro

It's really happening: The Chevy Camaro is coming back as a production car, the Free Press has learned.

General Motors Corp. Chairman Rick Wagoner is expected to announce the resurrection of the legendary muscle car in a speech Thursday to an automotive conference in Traverse City.

The auto industry has been buzzing with speculation about GM's plans for the Camaro ever since the carmaker wowed the crowds at the 2006 North American International Auto Show in January with a stunning 400-horsepower concept. At a time when truck and SUV sales are softening and car sales are regaining momentum, a sexy new entry could give GM's entire passenger-car line a boost.

The production version could be built as early as 2008 and will offer three engines, a V-6 and two V-8s, according to people familiar with the plans.

GM spokesman Steve Harris would not comment Friday on plans for the Camaro, but other sources told the Free Press that GM's top management and board of directors have green-lighted the car.

The Camaro was introduced in 1966 as the answer to the Ford Mustang, and it prowled America's streets and drag strips until production ended in 2002.

Like the concept, the production Camaro will be based on GM's new Zeta global architecture for rear-wheel-drive cars, expected to form the basis for several big, powerful sedans and coupes to be introduced over the next few years.

It was unclear last week where GM intends to build the Camaro. Speculation in the automotive press has centered on assembly plants in Oshawa, Ontario, and Wilmington, Del.

Other unanswered questions are sure to keep the buzz going even after Wagoner's announcement:

How many people will buy a Camaro in the age of $3.15-per-gallon gasoline?

What will it cost?

And what about bringing back the Pontiac Firebird/TransAm?

Contact TOM WALSH at 313-223-4430 or [email protected].
just confirms what I came out and said 7 months ago ;)

nthfinity 08-07-2006 03:00 PM

Quote:

If there is anything the Rick Wagoner has learned during his time at GM, it's that you never piss off the unions.
LMAO

if there is anything that Rick has learned is "never play second fiddle 5 years after the japanese for the boring car market"

there is nothing in that article that supports this auther's opening statement; what a bunch of BS

FoxFour 08-08-2006 07:25 PM

Getting back on the Camaro news, I saw on Fox News that GM will be officially announcing Camaro production this Thursday (8-10) .

detltu6 08-10-2006 10:16 PM

it was announced today. It is now official. They updated the chevy performance website.

nthfinity 11-13-2006 02:06 AM

News:

300 hp Solstice GXP coming, likely as a 2008 model, in turbocharged form

News:
rumored "v6 corvette" false

News:
Supercharged LS9 "blue devil"...
who said it will only cost $100,000 USD? GM is 100% commited to making this car a mechanical and engineering success; including use of new and more exotic materials. 650hp... it may be significantly more.

suspension is obviously different, I am unsure of what kind of final body changes will be at this point, as I only have 'access' to GM Powertrain ATM

nthfinity 12-10-2006 01:19 PM

next CTS to be unvieled at NAIAS in January 2007

there are 3 variants of the CTS under way at GM's Caddilac devision

4 door sedan
2 door coupe
and something else

I see potential for the V being either 4 door or 2 door; but I don't know yet

Journalist' responces to the 2 door are overwhelming approval, behind closed doors until january, of course ;)

number77 12-22-2006 02:45 PM

CTS
http://us.tnpv.net/2006/WKA200612/WK...1951031_pv.jpg
Malibu
http://us.tnpv.net/2006/WKA200612/WK...1835858_pv.jpg
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...8/031822.1.jpg

nthfinity 03-19-2007 05:15 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!

New CTS-V with 600+ supercharged horses, lapping NS in 7's .... much faster then all anticipations... 7:40's maybe :P

according to the source, who drives the competition at NS "Ieeet came upon me az eef I vas standing still!"

TopGearNL 03-19-2007 05:17 PM

^^ Sounds good, lol at the source! :lol:

nthfinity 04-22-2007 11:07 PM

New development

CTS-V isn't supercharged... just the impresson of that previously mentioned test driver

It in fact is far more exotic

Pushrod 5 valve heads with over 500 HP, not 600.

Yes, you read that right, pushrod 5 valve heads! WTF! ? :-D

number77 04-24-2007 10:30 PM

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3479/img3113bn4.th.jpg
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8...3112ld9.th.jpg
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/7...3111ww4.th.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/8...3109gi6.th.jpg
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7...3108mn3.th.jpg
http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/8...3107zz4.th.jpg
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3...3106mo2.th.jpg
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6...3105ic3.th.jpg

nthfinity 04-25-2007 12:43 AM

Corvette SS

pricing
$115,000 - $125,000

availability
Lotto style to dealers

Expected open market price
In excess of $225,000

power
650 HP

Weight
2800 lbs

Body
Carbon Fibre

Seats
Lightweight buckets

Chassis
Widened both up front and in the rear

Tires
315mm up front, 355 rear ?

Brakes
In the air.... the red prototype has Carbon Ceramic brakes, while the blue prototype has traditional brakes. The cost cutters are currently winning this battle, doubtful at this time that Carbon brakes will even be optional

Modified ratios in the transmission

Known issues
Torque twisting the roof's off still

Rear diff isn't made for hard launches

NS Lap time
Expected 7:25 or better

number77 04-28-2007 04:38 AM

double post.

number77 04-28-2007 04:42 AM

The one above has 423hp I think
0-60 in 4.3 and 190mph capable which makes it about as fast as a 360 modena.
So, I'd assume the blue devil will be very well off. at 650hp (A GM exec said between 600 and 700. I think it was Wagner) and all

rave426 04-30-2007 11:07 PM

If the new Vette SS has a curb weight of 2800lbs, it may just be one of the most sought after cars of the decade.

This would really look good for GM.....although i wished they went the N/A way, because now everybody is going to give the ole' FI excuse.

"If Ferrari's were FI then the Z06 SS wouldnt stand a chance..." :roll:

5vz-fe 04-30-2007 11:27 PM

2800 lbs!! That's quite some impressive weight saving.....

I would still prefer the LS-7 block tho.

Rear diff isn't made for hard launches? The diff itself or the linkages?

If the NS time is real and based on street tires, I really think it will put other super cars to shame.

blue8 05-02-2007 01:10 PM

Spyshots of the 'super Corvette/ Red Devil' whatever it will be called from... Winding Road :roll: I'm not sure if this is credible but here anyway
http://news.windingroad.com/body-sty...tte-spy-shots/

ZfrkS62 05-12-2007 12:24 AM

wow...i was wondering when the Vette was going to end up breaking the 6 figure mark.

However, 2800lbs, vs 600 ponies........hmmm.....I like where this is goin. giggidy giggidy giggidy!!

RC45 05-12-2007 01:16 AM

I am thinking 2800lbs is very optomistic - even the CGT at $500,000 and no limit R&D couldn't do it ;)

ZfrkS62 05-12-2007 01:43 AM

yeah, but the Porker needed to beef up because of the lack of actual C pillar or roof.

The vette might be able to pull off something close. Maybe 3100-3500. All depends on the unsprung weight, and whatever they are using as a frame.

I don't think 2800 is a bad figure to aim for.

nthfinity 05-12-2007 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
yeah, but the Porker needed to beef up because of the lack of actual C pillar or roof.

The vette might be able to pull off something close. Maybe 3100-3500. All depends on the unsprung weight, and whatever they are using as a frame.

2 will be coming, so it will be easy to find out :-D

one for the personal, one for the maka-da-money-back.

I'm just a conduit for this 2800 lbs. of information :P

RC45 05-12-2007 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62

We are already at 3100lb's and have been for 7 years ;)

The C6 Z06 suffers from a huge amount of heavy glass, extra comfort crap and wider heavier wheels and brakes - and even with carbon fibre bits and an aluminium frame was only able to get back down to 3100lbs.

Race Corvettes get all their weight saving from removing a lot of weight - gutting, cutting, removing and exotifying the materials used.

Hell, even the lightest turbo or super charger setup weighs 100lbs. so youwin some and lose some.

The construciotn would have to go Saleen like to get to some crazy low weight ;)

ZfrkS62 05-13-2007 02:13 AM

oof. I didn't even think about the glass. That wrap around rear window must kill it :?

too bad lexan isn't allowed for street use.

How you think they could save be trimming out .25 inches of upholstery? the carpet in that thing has to weigh quite a bit. Mainly from the padding i'm sure they doubled up on for sound deadening.

Have the LSx blocks gone to AluSil yet, or are they still just aluminum? might save some weight there...

If they're at 3100 now, how hard can another 300 be? :bah:

acknot 05-13-2007 11:53 AM

Looking forward to a confirmation of the 7.25 lap time on the CTS-V with street legal tires. If Sport Auto confirms this time on a production specimen, then GM really does know how to build a performance saloon.

Undercutting an M5 by half a minute is pretty amazing, you could enter this car on street tires and be competitive at the Nurburgring 24h. Who needs Oreca Vipers and C6Rs when you can run as fast with aircon and satnav? :lol:

nthfinity 05-13-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acknot
Looking forward to a confirmation of the 7.25 lap time on the CTS-V with street legal tires. If Sport Auto confirms this time on a production specimen, then GM really does know how to build a performance saloon.

Undercutting an M5 by half a minute is pretty amazing, you could enter this car on street tires and be competitive at the Nurburgring 24h. Who needs Oreca Vipers and C6Rs when you can run as fast with aircon and satnav? :lol:

you misread, CTS-V will be sub 8 minute, and Corvette SS will be near 7:25

graywolf624 05-13-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

too bad lexan isn't allowed for street use.
Not quite true.. Lexan isn't allowed for windshields. All the rest of the windows can be lexan. In fact, the current base coupes removeable 'targa' is a generic version of Lexan (Lexan is just a brand name, the actual technical term is polycarbonate). My Trans Am's ttops are also Lexan if I'm not mistaken. Several of the porsches come with options for lexan hatches. Then again.. those targa tops are a $1400 option, Lexan isn't cheap.

nthfinity 06-04-2007 02:12 PM

Cadillac are making a A8 L, Merc S klass, BMW 750 iL competitor, and making a brand new V12 engine, the Engine is basically a pair of caddy v6's (DOHC) together, with a new crank (of course) and being a 600+ hp beast in top-of-the range form :)

blue8 06-04-2007 04:01 PM

More on the CTS-V from Autoblog:
The new issue of Motor Trend arrived in the mail and our eyes were instantly attracted to this story that just went live on motortrend.com. The MT crew has learned that the supercharged V8 slated for use in the next-gen Cadillac CTS-V will be none other than a "detuned" version of the 7.0L LS7 powerplant debuting in the Corvette Blue Devil, or rather, Corvette Z07. The MT editors expect the version used in the CTS-V to produce about 600 horsepower, or around 100 horses short of what the Z07 will produce.

Pick any possible competitor for the next CTS-V and it's obvious that all will come up short to Caddy's new mega muscle sedan. The BMW M3 and Audi RS4 both produce only 420 horsepower, while the horsepower happy AMG team stuffed only 503 in the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG. Even the BMW M5, which is larger than the CTS, will come up short with an upcoming horsepower bump into the low-500 horsepower range. In short, the CTS-V will offer the same amount of horsepower as the 2008 Dodge Viper, which is pure insanity. GM's got stones, folks, and Cadillac is clearly the prime beneficiary of its newfound fortitude.

Much thanks to Motor Trend editor-in-chief Angus Mackenzie for allowing Autoblog to republish the rendering above. The July issue (you can subscribe here) is thicker than a Thesaurus and our fave in a string of recent good issues from the MT team.

Source and rendered image:
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/04/m...-devil-engine/

HeilSvenska 06-04-2007 04:15 PM

Can we confirm the info above? MT does a lot of hit or miss stuff when it comes to scoops.

nthfinity 06-04-2007 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska
Can we confirm the info above? MT does a lot of hit or miss stuff when it comes to scoops.

motor trend is wayyyyy off here

the CTS-V that will be coming out as previously mentioned is a 5 valve headpushrod V8 making roughly 510 hp... and MT's staff are kinda off thier kilter for names... maybe because they are way out on the left coast, far from the automotive circles of Detroit.

Supercharged corvette = blue devil = Corvette SS [ not Z07 as previously mentioned by MT, and I am not very sure that the LS9 in the SS is going to be "detuned" and put in the next CTS-V... i'm pretty sure it's an all new motor from Caddy.
Engine = LS9,
few details known beyond that its roughly 647 hp, 2800 lbs, wider up front/rear, carbon fibre body, wider tires front and rear, and potentially carbon brakes.