Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   FIRST JW COMPETETION: PRIZES TO BE WON !!! (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3070)

Wide 11-25-2003 03:17 PM

Quote:

Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.2GHz (533MHz FSB/ 1MB cache) (+ GBP £1,480)
That must be included if u want performance..

maalox 11-25-2003 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide
Quote:

Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon Processors 3.2GHz (533MHz FSB/ 1MB cache) (+ GBP £1,480)
That must be included if u want performance..

Indeed :lol:. It is the ultimate for desktop crunching, although some might say it was a bit overkill. Still, it fits in the provided requirements ;).

SilverandColdS4 11-25-2003 03:24 PM

BTW dont get Dell they monopolize the parts. So if something breaks you have to get them from DEll and they mark up the price 3 times. Plus They have horrible customer service.

maalox 11-25-2003 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverandColdS4
BTW dont get Dell they monopolize the parts. So if something breaks you have to get them from DEll and they mark up the price 3 times. Plus They have horrible customer service.

Partly true, but not if you bought a workstation from them. It comes with professional care since it's supposed to be used in like mission critical data analysis etc. (like 5th/Top Gear!!!). As for the parts, if you mean that they are proprietary, that would be for their OEM level like value systems. The workstations are all regular full size boards with thumbscrews etc for easy expansion.

SilverandColdS4 11-25-2003 03:34 PM

I just hate dealing with Dell i have one and I will never get one again. I hate the company. They dont care about the customers enough. Im just telling you about my experiences and others i have read about.

maalox 11-25-2003 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverandColdS4
I just hate dealing with Dell i have one and I will never get one again. I hate the company. They dont care about the customers enough. Im just telling you about my experiences and others i have read about.

Yeah for sure, I know where you're coming from. Especially after the whole outsourcing to India for tech support (although thankfully not for their premium customers). Remarkably my brother's had pretty good luck with them--his drive broke and a new one arrived the next day for his laptop. However, apparently they're bringing customer service back to America after all the complaints haha.

SFDMALEX 11-25-2003 03:49 PM

Jabba dont you want to build your own system? Thats what I would do. You can build an overkill system for much less money compared to alienware etc...

SilverandColdS4 11-25-2003 03:52 PM

Ya defiantly building your own is sweet. I agree. Im glad they are moving tech support back to america. Thats one step forward. Well maybe your setup is a good idea afterall.

DeMoN 11-25-2003 04:37 PM

www.alienware.com have some pretty nice already built computers, they are expensive though but if you want to build your own, you can create a copy of it or go to www.anandtech.com and/or tomshardware and/or www.cnet.com to see the top lcd's etc...

wish I had more time, but I really have to sleep (stayed up all night typing essay). Last time I did this, i slept 18hours, lesse if I can beat that.

dis3as3d 11-25-2003 05:01 PM

Vapochill cases are way overkill...

Jabba 11-25-2003 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Jabba dont you want to build your own system? Thats what I would do. You can build an overkill system for much less money compared to alienware etc...

Yes thats exactly correct.... self build machines have always run allot better for me than name PC's and I think building it yourself is half the fun...especially cutting your hands to pieces and blood pouring out everywhere as your working inside the case.....still at least you really get to know your machine this way.... :D 8) 8) 8)

SFDMALEX 11-25-2003 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jabba
Quote:

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX

Yes thats exactly correct.... self build machines have always run allot better for me than name PC's and I think building it yourself is half the fun...especially cutting your hands to pieces and blood pouring out everywhere as your working inside the case.....still at least you really get to know your machine this way.... :D 8) 8) 8)

Cool. I'll be making a list of sweet parts this friday. :)

666fast 11-25-2003 07:14 PM

Does it have to be a PC or would you be willing to use a Apple?

Jabba 11-25-2003 07:16 PM

Nope I am a PC man sorry....Apple isnt very big here in the UK either.

AlienDB7 11-25-2003 07:32 PM

My experience with dell isn't that good either... their p4's always feel so sluggish. The fans are relatively quiet though.