Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Chrysler 300C (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8624)

blah 04-07-2004 05:51 PM

Chrysler 300C

What do you fellas think of this car. Its the perfect blend of european luxury, and technology :sips wine:....WITH THE BRUTE FORCE OF AMERICAN MUSCLE:drinks beer, and pulls out a shotgun: :twisted:

http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/3004.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/300.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/30013.jpg
http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/30014.jpg

check out www.edmunds.com for some better pics though.

Tomerville 04-07-2004 05:57 PM

Wow, not that bad! Daimler is really taking control and influencing Chrysler in a good way. I don't see why Chrysler loves their "Hemi" so much anyway.

blah 04-07-2004 06:00 PM

uh....Diamler? you mean Mercedes? U dont see why they love their hemis so much? Let me give u some stats ....

340 Horses @ 5000 RPMs
390 Lbs of Torque @ 4000 RPMS
17/25 MPG and you can use regular feul.

0-60 6.3 seconds mind you this car weighs over 4,000 lbs. So anymore questions on why Chrysler loves the HEMI.

SL55 AMG 04-07-2004 06:06 PM

I love this car, I got to inspect one up close and it basically feels like an E class, in respect to size and comfort. I do enjoy the look of the car and its got a hell of a motor. would love to drive one however thats the only way to make a decent conclusion on a car

Vansquish 04-07-2004 07:04 PM

I think it looks terrible from the outside...a true barge, but the inside is decent enough. My mom has been working on engine software for them and has been...ahem...disappointed by the engineering and fit and finish of the cars, though she has been pretty happy with the Hemi engine on the test vehicles she's driven. (Basically she said that that was the only redeeming feature of the car, and she would never buy a DC product knowing how they half-assed the car and the new Durango on which she'd been working for the previous year)

RC45 04-07-2004 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansquish
I think it looks terrible from the outside...a true barge, but the inside is decent enough. My mom has been working on engine software for them and has been...ahem...disappointed by the engineering and fit and finish of the cars, though she has been pretty happy with the Hemi engine on the test vehicles she's driven. (Basically she said that that was the only redeeming feature of the car, and she would never buy a DC product knowing how they half-assed the car and the new Durango on which she'd been working for the previous year)

LOL :lol: - so Dodge has their engine management programmed by a girl...?? ;)

That explains why the Viper is so slow... :P

j/k :D

T-Bird 04-07-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
uh....Diamler? you mean Mercedes? U dont see why they love their hemis so much? Let me give u some stats ....

340 Horses @ 5000 RPMs
390 Lbs of Torque @ 4000 RPMS
17/25 MPG and you can use regular feul.

0-60 6.3 seconds mind you this car weighs over 4,000 lbs. So anymore questions on why Chrysler loves the HEMI.

UM actually...

:twisted: 0-60 in 5.3 seconds :twisted:

Vansquish 04-07-2004 07:23 PM

Hehehe...she's a good programmer, no worries :-D

hemi_fan 04-07-2004 07:36 PM

i love it!! but then again, put a hemi in a Geo Metro, and I'll like it too. lol

gigdy 04-07-2004 09:34 PM

heres i video i found of it . I didnt think the rest of the forum would appreciate it enough.

http://superdave369.home.comcast.net...0cdrifting.avi

hemi_fan 04-07-2004 09:40 PM

wow, im surprised that someone already has a drifting video of one of these. Man, that suspension looks really soft! The Hemi must have some decent power if it can spin the tires under a car that damn heavy.

Garretts_turbo 04-07-2004 09:47 PM

doesnt the hemi have somewhere around 325 horsies?? loads o' torque too. not too surprising they can break the tires loose.
i actually prefer the dodge magnum to this 300C, even thought its a wagon/thing/urban vehicle. looks a lot more brawny and tough. love the crosshair grill!!

T-Bird 04-07-2004 09:56 PM

WOW look above HardcoreSRT4 it was stated it makes 340 hp

RC45 04-07-2004 10:05 PM

They use the E-class shassis, so they are pretty solid.

BTW - I have uploaded a "walk-around" video that I took at the Houston Auto Show - for those that havent seen it in the 360 degree glory yet... ;)

WHat we just saw was the Hemi getting a 360 degree view of the camera man.. :lol:

RC45 04-07-2004 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigdy
heres i video i found of it . I didnt think the rest of the forum would appreciate it enough.

http://superdave369.home.comcast.net...0cdrifting.avi

Post this link in the Video section we have... ;)

blah 04-07-2004 10:43 PM

I was thinking about posting that link gigdy, but i decided i would be a leach....

The 0-60 i saw on Fast Autos was 6.3 Seconds, and if the exhaust note is anything like the trucks when ur upclose, prepare to be stunned when this big heavy sedan passes u and sounds like a Mean ass Cuda.

T-Bird 04-07-2004 11:22 PM

I got my 0-60 from Car and Driver

blah 04-08-2004 01:17 AM

what did they say on the 1/4 mile time?

Schwalbe 04-09-2004 12:48 AM

Wow gigdy, you found a nice video of the 300C. :D

If I had this car, I would put 20" wheels .

I am so happy that the generation of the Full-size FWD American cars is past. RWD American cars rules ! 8)

Vansquish 04-09-2004 03:07 AM

Only problem with RWD cars is that most of the American public is too stupid to know how to drive them safely, and even fewer are capable in the snow and other inclement weather.

blah 04-09-2004 03:24 AM

How so would american drivers not be able to drive them? There has always been RWD cars in america. Every generation has grown up with them.

number77 04-11-2004 01:51 PM

i'm with blah on this one. i don't think you can say this about americans in general (even though you are american). the same goes for other nationalities as well. besides its not a general consumers fault in general. if someone want to hop in and stop the gas like an old pumpkin there isn't too much you can do to stop it. besides, they'll end up putting traction control on it anyways

mit5005 04-11-2004 01:53 PM

This car is so much better looking then the previous version of the 300. And the Hemi makes it a lot better too. I wonder if they will make an M version.

hemi_fan 04-11-2004 05:19 PM

well, without rwd cars on the road, how will they learn?

Nemisis8u 04-11-2004 05:32 PM

Quote:

Only problem with RWD cars is that most of the American public is too stupid to know how to drive them safely, and even fewer are capable in the snow and other inclement weather.

Dude this barge has so may computer controlled driving aides it practically drives itelf.

RC45 04-11-2004 05:42 PM

Quote:

Load of hog wash.. ;)

My first car I bought here in the USA, in Chicago, was a 1973 Ford LTD.. complete with 400ci V8 and RWD.. oh.. did I mention it was in winter as well.. ;)

The most fun you can have on 4 wheels... ;)

nthfinity 04-11-2004 06:09 PM

Quote:

Vansquish wrote:

Load of hog wash..

My first car I bought here in the USA, in Chicago, was a 1973 Ford LTD.. complete with 400ci V8 and RWD.. oh.. did I mention it was in winter as well..

The most fun you can have on 4 wheels...
both my roommates survived winter w/out fwd, or 4x4 with decently powerd motors as well (but not 400cid lol) .... not a single ding, or dent. its very easy to pull 360's in rwd cars :)

ahmedgiyab 04-13-2004 04:11 PM

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/300c.jpg

Will it be on sale???

blah 04-13-2004 05:25 PM

looks like a sebring fucked a XLR and thats the result :? what the hell is that?

Vansquish 04-13-2004 05:45 PM

Ok, look...I wasn't trying to imply that the people who come to this forum are poor drivers, nor that there are in fact Americans that can drive, as that is obviously true (we have quite an illustrious racing heritage that bears that fact out). My point was that the majority of people who go and buy a massive, powerful, rear drive car are floosies who can't drive them. Not all, just many of them. The fact that the 300C is crammed up the wazoo with electronic driver aids doesn't mean that the person driving it isn't more likely to smush it into something when the weather gets bad. I drive a Mazda 6, Front engine Front drive most of the time, but I also drive a Supercharged Mustang GT (probably runs about 330bhp at the wheels.) and I have driven it in the winter. I won't argue that playing with a RWD car in the snow isn't a load of fun (it is), but it's the daily commuter who has no idea what to do if they get into trouble that is the problem. People who don't know the limits of their cars shouldn't be driving them, that's all.

skituner 04-13-2004 06:03 PM

i really like the look
i dont know how i drives but the styling is nice
finally some american companies are goin back to the muscle car roots

Vansquish 04-13-2004 06:24 PM

blah wrote:
Quote:

looks like a sebring fucked a XLR and thats the result what the hell is that?
and the answer, better looking than either ;-P

T-Bird 04-13-2004 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blah
what did they say on the 1/4 mile time?

1/4 mile time is 14.1s @ 101.1mph pretty decent.
4330 lbs curb weight 54/46 weight distribution

Road and Track just put out a not-so mini magazine with this months issue

OH BTW they make an All Wheel Drive Version as well

Nocturn 04-24-2004 08:53 PM

I herd they got a 13.9 @ 102 out of it in some magazine, can't remember which one though. I'v read a couple of reviews about it and it seems people either think it's pretty quick, or untollerably slow. But the general consensus was that it had good off the line power but hitting it @ 60mph wasn't to impressive.

Personally I think its good competition for the GTO were they ever to make a coupe 2 door version. But I think the GTO is a better car for the money.

5.7 V10 04-24-2004 09:02 PM

I'm not an American car fan, but admit i like it. Not enough to buy, but i still rocks. 345hp, 390 tq. :D

Sweet, looks good too.

nthfinity 04-24-2004 09:55 PM

econo engine controls the 'demi hemi' that the computer aperently almost instantaneously snaps the unused cylinders into working again... good idea if tis fast enough. GM has been playing around with this idea for years... but havent yet had a good enough version that people actually used it (always in the corvette) one of the big problems with their system is that it requires the engine to be started as a V4 pushing 8 cylinders, or a V8.

its not a terrible looking car, but the more options that have been installed quite segnificantly raise the price. still cheaper then the E class benz brand new...

FoxFour 04-24-2004 11:48 PM

I have seen one or two being test driven lately. Finally, Chrysler got it right IMO. It will be interesting to see how well the AWD versions will sell. The performance from this car is surprising. I will be expecting 300 owners to be challenging me now. Bring it on!! :twisted: I bet an M version is being tested as we speak. And I'm sure that the M version won't have the 126 mph speed limiter that the American 300C currently has.

Nocturn 04-25-2004 12:10 AM

Gm already has it in production on some of their pickups, and is stated to be on the C6. What I want to know is with some exhaust mods is it going to sound like a 4cylinder when your not on the throttle? That would be weird. DC basically is doing the same thing GM has been almost to the point where they are called the exact same thing.

nthfinity 04-25-2004 01:02 AM

Quote:

Gm already has it in production on some of their pickups, and is stated to be on the C6

it would help slightly if you use quotes a bit more often, or describe what you are speaking of if you arent going to quote. that helps the rest of us.... dont worry, i do know what you speak of.

Nocturn 04-25-2004 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Quote:

Gm already has it in production on some of their pickups, and is stated to be on the C6

it would help slightly if you use quotes a bit more often, or describe what you are speaking of if you arent going to quote. that helps the rest of us.... dont worry, i do know what you speak of.

Ah well ill be sure to do that then.

callen 04-25-2004 08:29 AM

Quote:

what about all the RWD trucks out there. my parents have a 90 GMC seirra RWD, and lemme tell u its tricky as hell with out concrete slabs above the rear axle in the winter! but i think some of the slower americans can figure out a RWD car in the winter, if my sister can figure out our truck with out crashing it.

T-Bird 04-25-2004 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxFour
I have seen one or two being test driven lately. Finally, Chrysler got it right IMO. It will be interesting to see how well the AWD versions will sell. The performance from this car is surprising. I will be expecting 300 owners to be challenging me now. Bring it on!! :twisted: I bet an M version is being tested as we speak. And I'm sure that the M version won't have the 126 mph speed limiter that the American 300C currently has.

You know the 300M is not a performance version of the 300 we aren't talking BMW buddy the M was a model designation that Chrysler used to have with the 300's but for some reason they decided to use the letter C again on this one and the V6 version is just the 300 the M is not a performance version of the 300 just to let you know. And BTW I've seen a few on the road and they are pretty damn quick.

gtx28 04-28-2004 11:34 PM

I know the new Hemi is a small block motor. According to dodge they are running 9.6/1 compression. If memory serves correct, the older bigblock Hemi motors were like 13/1 compression. I dont know if its possable, mabey with headstuds, but i would like to see a modern large displacement, fuel injected, high compression hemi.

nthfinity 04-29-2004 11:25 AM

13:1!!!!!!???????? are you out of your mind! the engine would be engaging in hydrolic lock!

the 426 hemi was a higher compression engine @ 10.25:1

bmagni 04-30-2004 11:50 AM

finally chrysler is doing something well, we should see how it performs, but the looks are good

Max Power 05-05-2004 03:20 PM

Beauty car.......A benz with styling...can't go wrong

C&D said a car for Al Capone

RC45 05-05-2004 03:26 PM

I have seen a bunch of them on the road in and around Houston now - and the car looked better in the car show situation where it was slightly at and above eye level.

In person on the street, the car looks a little ungainly and the "chopped top look" does not really have as nice a look as I originall thought.

I saw a road test on SpeedVision last week, and at least with TC turned off it is good for some wild outrageous rear-wheel drive action and mischief...

hemi_fan 05-05-2004 03:33 PM

The early hemis (before they made the de-tuned street hemi) were 12.5:1 compression, the original ones put in a select few factory cars in 1964, which were meant for track only, but the cars were sold on showroom floors. They later detuned them for cudas, chargers, etc. down to 10.25:1