Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Motorsport News And Discussion (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   V8 vs. V10 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32279)

nejcdolinsek 11-30-2005 10:22 AM

V8 vs. V10

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=104191

Check out the difference in sound between the V8 and V10... honestly, I think its a MAJOR step back. The V8 just doesn't scream as much as the V10 :(

How sad... :cry:

EDIT: Check THIS out: http://paultan.org/wp-content/renault_v10_song.mp3

HOW COOL IS THAT????

5vz-fe 11-30-2005 10:26 AM

There maybe difference in sound, but looks like Honda is trying to prove to everything there might not be as big a difference as anticipated.

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...30133555.shtml

Just 1.4 seconds off V10's pace. Now that will give other ppl some thoughts

nejcdolinsek 11-30-2005 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
There maybe difference in sound, but looks like Honda is trying to prove to everything there might not be as big a difference as anticipated.

http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...30133555.shtml

Just 1.4 seconds off V10's pace. Now that will give other ppl some thoughts

Restricted V10's pace :wink:

5vz-fe 11-30-2005 10:45 AM

^..hmm...must be a typo at the time sheets then
1 . J. Button - BAR Honda V8 - 1:14.954 (+ 0.000 ) - 38 laps
10 . A. Davidson - BAR Honda V8 - 1:21.292 (+ 6.338 ) - 13 laps

nthfinity 11-30-2005 10:55 AM

of course its a major step back--- duh :wink:

thats exactly why the FIA made the rule, to slow the cars down...and this in turn makes the teams push the technological limits of engine building. this is how it alway is... they will eventually crawl back up to the pace that we saw in 2004/2005

gobs3z 11-30-2005 01:00 PM

All i know is i'm happy i was able to hear the V-10's before they changed to the
V-8, and now this year i'll be able to hear the V-8's. But i am annoyed that they keep doing this, soon they'll be running motorcycle engines.

mindgam3 11-30-2005 01:53 PM

Bullshit, there's not much difference, no more than there was between say a fezza V10 and a merc V10....

I would expect them to be back up to this years pace within 2 years at the most

nejcdolinsek 11-30-2005 05:18 PM

People, I hope you noticed that I never once mentioned the power difference between the V8 and V10...

I'm talking purely about SOUND :!:

SL55 AMG 11-30-2005 05:40 PM

The V8 sure doesnt have the overwhelming howl but it sure does sound good still
Might just be me but what i think the V8 sounds like it is a expiring V10...you know when you're at the track and one the V10 cars is about to blow its engine it sounds all throaty and off pitch compared to the others, thats kind of what it reminded me of

exhausted mules 11-30-2005 06:59 PM

to be honest with you i prefer the sound of the v8.

it sounds more defined. you can hear the individual cylinders better... especially on the downshift and throtle off.

sure, the v10 has the scream and high pitch. but the v8 has a howl and fierceness to it.

kinda like the difference between a muscle car... and a honda civic.

well.

you get it.

exhausted mules 11-30-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dani_d_mas
Quote:

Originally Posted by nejcdolinsek
People, I hope you noticed that I never once mentioned the power difference between the V8 and V10...

I'm talking purely about SOUND :!:

Fuck! I've clicked in 'post reply' and the Christmas theme has just popped up!! :lol: :P cool!!

Returning to the topic - I think there're no major differences between both sounds :bah: It's just a matter of get used to it. For instance I didn't like the V10 high-revving sound, since it's too 'computerized', too much Play-Station-ish :P Give me a V12 sound anytime!!

May be I should pay a visit tomorrow at the Barcelona track to see (and hear!!) how they sound in person :P

(I won't - I have other things to do this week :( )

do it.

do it for us.

03200165 12-15-2005 03:46 PM

When I was in Monza the 25th of august, they were all testing the V10's. Only toyota was already testing a V8!

You can clearly hear the difference between a v8 and a v10. 17000 rpm 370 km/h (yes they did drive THAT fast) The v8 makes a nicer sound, but the v10 is just bad for your ears!

I can ashure you the sensation of hearing a f1 car, will be just as awesome as it was with the v10's

black_magician 01-24-2006 12:17 AM

I wish if they are going to shrink the displacement of the motors, at least allow another route for power, like re-introducing forced induction or something. :D

nthfinity 01-24-2006 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by black_magician
I wish if they are going to shrink the displacement of the motors, at least allow another route for power, like forced induction or something. :D

um...
are you a time displaced fellow??

they switched from forced induction to reduce power... now to smaller displacement/fewer cylinders to reduce power... why would they start turbocharging again?

black_magician 01-29-2006 05:00 PM

^^I just don't like seeing the cars being slowed down, thats all. I don't want to see in fifty years time everyone driving 50cc engines.

03200165 01-29-2006 06:30 PM

In 50 years we will be driving electic engines, and before that f1 cars will be diesels i guess. Audi is driving diesel engines in this years Le Mans.

black_magician 01-30-2006 12:50 AM

^^ a diesel F1 car would be interesting :lol:. It'll be black cloud central after a race! :mrgreen:

sameerrao 01-30-2006 02:39 AM

The V8 sounds nice ... I agree with dani - The V12s were the best by far. The V10s were vacuum cleaner sounding by comparison.

Actually seeing the 1995 season on F1 Decade (Speed TV) was a treat because it was the last year where you could here a V12, V8 and a V10 together - by engine note sound alone you could make easily idebntify the cars.

When I saw an F1 race live in 2003 and 2004, I couldn't identify the various top running car makes by listening to the engine note. The only car I could make out was the Minardi - probably because it was revving much lower than the others and sounded more gutteral.

Toronto 01-30-2006 03:10 AM

here are some sounds files for you guys to compare the engines, and more
***Don't Post This Link***
http://torontosden.com/F1images/F1%20Sounds.rar

nejcdolinsek 01-30-2006 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toronto
here are some sounds files for you guys to compare the engines, and more
http://torontosden.com/F1images/F1%20Sounds.rar

That is awesome!!! :D :D

Max Power 02-03-2006 03:35 PM

http://img421.exs.cx/img421/2013/clipboard019tq.jpg

Alonso is only 1.5s of the pace of the lap record...can u say V6

McLaren4eVa 02-15-2006 04:52 PM

When they first tested the v8s they were 5s off the pace but with the reintroduction of softer compound tyres and betta aerodynamics the cars are within a second of last years pace.

03200165 02-16-2006 07:31 AM

Quote:

When they first tested the v8s they were 5s off the pace but with the reintroduction of softer compound tyres and betta aerodynamics the cars are within a second of last years pace.
Yes indeed, they are driving under the fastest lap time that was set in Bahrain. That is logical, because the dfastest laptime in Bahrain was set last year.

cooperluke 02-16-2006 10:04 AM

A V10 is another planet!! :D

McLaren4eVa 02-16-2006 12:07 PM

Mosleys Radical Engine Plan For 2011

FIA president Max Mosley has proposed to totally revolutionise formula one's engine rules.

Although the brand new 2.4 litre V8 formula is yet to even debut at a grand prix, the Briton revealed that the Federation was - for 2011 - thinking about no longer mandating the number of cylinders or engine capacity.

Instead, one of the only limits on engine design would be the amount of fuel allowed per race.

''All kinds of motors will be allowed,'' Max was quoted as saying by the Italian 'La Gazzetta dello Sport' newspaper, ''but every car will get an equal amount of fuel. So it will be based on (fuel) consumption. Who wins will be the one who uses (the fuel) best.''

Mosley admitted that his idea also tips its hat to the world's 'oil crisis' and to critics of the excesses and waste of futile motor racing.

He said : ''It is something that we will talk about at greater length on a later date.''

Source GMM
© CAPSIS International

I Think Its A Great Idea But Honda Would Trounce Every1 Like IN 1988 With Their 1.5L V6 Had 1000BHP+ In Qualie Trim And Was The Most Fuel Efficient

exhausted mules 02-16-2006 12:30 PM

^^^ i think that is the best idea to come out of that important dude since i can remember.

i think it'll bring some engine ideas as "variable displacment" and general better use of throtle managment.

leo_26782 02-16-2006 04:01 PM

It has allready been tried in the past and even if I don't remember the whole story, there is a reason for me not to have known it :wink:

But I like the idea as well...

Cockrocket 02-26-2006 01:08 PM

In a few years the FIA will have in introduce new engine rules once again as eventualy the power output of the V8 will match that of the 2005 season, yet they weigh less so the cars will be ven quicker. This is as pointless waste of time as the changes in wing design for last year to reduce amount of downforce created. Not many races into the season, the engineers found ways to make as much if not more downforce as the previous season so the cars were going faster than the previous season. Waste of time.

How bout this for an idea for slowing cars down. Decide on a maximum poweroutput of the engines!! :idea:

Say they decide on engine outputs to be 700bhp, ferrari bmw etc can spend as much money as they like on engine design but at the end of the day the actual power is restricted. With the current sytem, a lot of money is going to be used by the top teams in development to make as much power as possible! This :idea: is cheaper and easier!!

Ultimatly F1 is going downhill....its all about DTM i think! fast and closer action!

gobs3z 02-26-2006 01:31 PM

I problem with power restrictions is that it is very easy for them to cheat, by having one program to run the engine while on the dyno creating 700hp while on the track a flip of the switch will give you 800hp. Two different engine maps, one to restrict the output and one to release all of the potential. Or have a button that you woul use sometimes (kind of like a boost button without the turbos).

exhausted mules 02-27-2006 01:07 AM

and having no power cap means that engineers WILL spend long hours drinking coffee trying to figure out how to get another 10 horsepower over there competititors.

that's racing and if we negate a cap on something like power... it'll rule out a huge part of the sport.

what they are doing now is the best. give the enigeers a set of base rules (weight, size and piston count) it makes them focus on other allternatives.

so in the end... say another 10 years from now. there wont be a part of the engine that hasn't been refined to such a degree that your civic will be able to have 300 horspower on 2 liters and run for 300 000 kilometers.

black_magician 02-27-2006 01:24 PM

max needs to make up his mind. he talks about cost containment, but then he proposes these radical changes. there's no way to be very cost effective with these new technologies and keep the independent teams competitive. personally, I think max just ran out of his medication, when he gets it refilled, this will dissapear. :lol:

sau_mathur 03-11-2006 10:42 AM

Something i was wondering someone could enlighten me about was...ive heard that the v8's rev more than v10s...how come?? They say that the v8 can rev to 20,000 rpm compared to the 18000 by the v10s. I always thought that the v10 was a more stable configuration and could therefore rev more...and the v8 causes major vibrations, so revs cant be that high..!!

So how come the v8 revs more than the v10?? anyone got ne ideas?

McLaren4eVa 03-11-2006 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sau_mathur
Something i was wondering someone could enlighten me about was...ive heard that the v8's rev more than v10s...how come?? They say that the v8 can rev to 20,000 rpm compared to the 18000 by the v10s. I always thought that the v10 was a more stable configuration and could therefore rev more...and the v8 causes major vibrations, so revs cant be that high..!!

Im not sure but i think its something to do with the smaller displacement of the engines but the old V10s could acheive 19000 and the new v8s can do 20000 so not much of a difference. Damn why couldnt they stick with the V10s if maz wanted to save money and cut the speeds he should have just restricted the engines to put out 850-900BHP that way manufacterers wouldn't have spent 10s of millions investing in the new V8, what formula 1 needs is stability and that will never happen because of that stupid prick changing the rules every year. Yes he has done things to improve f1 like HANS system without R. Schumacher could have been injured extremley badly in 04 at indy and the idea of teathers eing used to keep the tyres on the car like at 05 nurburgring when kimis suspension went that tyre could have flew in the air and maybe have hit the crowd so yes he has some good days but the rest of the days are just bullshit!

SafirXP 03-12-2006 11:30 PM

my thoughts...

1. V8s should obviously run much hotter so more emphasis on cooling
2. since it isn't as balanced as a V10, there'll be more vibrations...

no matter how close the races are now i'd prefer watching the early days of GP racing!

bmagni 03-13-2006 12:29 AM

i prefer the sound of V10... by far better...
lap times and that isn't that important to me, as long as races are competitive and fun to watch, i dont care much about the race

mindgam3 03-13-2006 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sau_mathur

Less mass to rotate, less stresses on the components, higher revs. Plus frictional effects will be less because of less components.

They will also run cooler - less cylinders, less power, less heat

jasc 03-13-2006 10:03 AM

^^ Won't there be more heat at the same power?

mindgam3 03-13-2006 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasc
^^ Won't there be more heat at the same power?

All else being equal, no

nejcdolinsek 03-13-2006 12:37 PM

Do they still show that rev-counter on the on-board cameras? If so, what are the max revs the new V8 achieves?

Cockrocket 03-13-2006 02:16 PM

Well i know that the Cosworth V8 revvs up to 20,000 rpm but that is like the most powerful engine on the grid! Not sure about the rest prob the same as the v10's around 19,000

ZfrkS62 03-13-2006 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cockrocket
Well i know that the Cosworth V8 revvs up to 20,000 rpm but that is like the most powerful engine on the grid! Not sure about the rest prob the same as the v10's around 19,000

actually i think renault has the most power. cosies just spin higher

mindgam3 03-13-2006 02:50 PM

According to F1 magazine, the Cossie is the most powerful to - based on testing figures.

F1 engines get all their power from revs, I wouldnt be suprised if the Cosworth is the most powerful at the moment - this may change later in the season

dash 07-30-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exhausted mules
to be honest with you i prefer the sound of the v8.

it sounds more defined. you can hear the individual cylinders better... especially on the downshift and throtle off.

sure, the v10 has the scream and high pitch. but the v8 has a howl and fierceness to it.

kinda like the difference between a muscle car... and a honda civic.

well.

you get it.

Say what?! It sounds like a piece of shit. There's no screaming in that sound, sound like a fucking radio controled toy car. All those idiots from FIA responsible for those moronic restrictions should be burned to the ground.

rave426 08-02-2006 05:49 PM

Now, now. Dont be harsh. They dont deserve being burned to the ground. :)

Look at it this way. Everytime they put restrictions on the F1 engines, it makes the teams dig deeper into their research and testing to develop better engines. This research in turn, gives us more powerful, reliable, and efficient road car engines.

Truthfully, if it wasnt for F1 and the advances it is has made over the years, we may....just may not have been graced by the production of the glorious V10 in the M5/M6.

Heck if it wasnt for Rally restrictions on engines, would you think the Evo and STI road cars would be so good?

rave426 08-03-2006 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw06m6
Quote:

Originally Posted by rave426
Now, now. Dont be harsh. They dont deserve being burned to the ground. :)

Look at it this way. Everytime they put restrictions on the F1 engines, it makes the teams dig deeper into their research and testing to develop better engines. This research in turn, gives us more powerful, reliable, and efficient road car engines.

Truthfully, if it wasnt for F1 and the advances it is has made over the years, we may....just may not have been graced by the production of the glorious V10 in the M5/M6.

Heck if it wasnt for Rally restrictions on engines, would you think the Evo and STI road cars would be so good?

I disagree, if you have fewer restrictions, and let them build WHATEVER kind of engines they want, Ferrari would be selling 16.4 engines in the new F450 ? With thousands of horses, and tons of power. :D Now that’s competition.

Well I see your point, but I'm not sure if automotive technology is ready for a F1 cars with thousands of horsepower (assuming you do mean more than one thousand). Remember these cars weigh nothing, and they actually have brake and turn. If we were at the bonneville salt flats, then it wouldnt matter.

Put it like this, I think if there were no restrictions their would not be as many technilogical engine advancedments as there are today. Now im not saying carry it down to a V6, cause honestly I liked the V10's.

But if these teams all have V12's or larger and they have nothing to hold them back, then its all going to be about money and power. And honestly I like the fact that F1 is more about other automotive aspects other than power. I enjoy seeing a car outbrake another one after reaching 180mph. If these teams are forced to pull the most out of a V8, which will in time reach the old V10's then that technology can be applied to V10's and V12's, which makes them better.

Hell with no restrictions why not get a V12 bore that bitch out to backside and slap 6 turbos on it, why not get a heavier, stronger more heat resistant block *shrug* whats 50 added pounds compared to 400 more horsepower.

Well I glad it isnt like that, but I guess "to each his own"

nickthaskater 08-03-2006 09:06 AM

I recall seeing a couple on-board shots of a V8 touching 21,000 RPM, but there are several teams who can run 20,000 now during a race, though most opt for 19,000 it seems (reliability obviously).