Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars Pictures and Videos (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Testing The 2010 Roush Mustang 427R (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61391)

pagani 08-15-2009 06:46 PM

Testing The 2010 Roush Mustang 427R

New roush mustang review
:-):thumbup:

RC45 08-16-2009 12:50 AM

Seems to have slowed down and got fatter since last years models.

It makes a used C5 Z06 for $22,000 seem like performance bargain it is. 9 years later its still fatsrer, lighter, quicker and nimbler than a $50K speciality Mustang.

I think that is the real pity, that even after all these years, the Mustang tuners cant deliver on their high priced packages.

I saw one in person a few nights back, and it sounds fantastic, but looks really bloated and top heavy and awkward. Everytime I see "the latest" trick Mustang in the flesh, I appreciate the 2000 Cobra R even more.

5vz-fe 08-16-2009 02:01 AM

Not impressed with the numbers for (well over) 50k.

pagani 08-16-2009 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 869658)
Seems to have slowed down and got fatter since last years models.

It makes a used C5 Z06 for $22,000 seem like performance bargain it is. 9 years later its still fatsrer, lighter, quicker and nimbler than a $50K speciality Mustang.

I think that is the real pity, that even after all these years, the Mustang tuners cant deliver on their high priced packages.

I saw one in person a few nights back, and it sounds fantastic, but looks really bloated and top heavy and awkward. Everytime I see "the latest" trick Mustang in the flesh, I appreciate the 2000 Cobra R even more.

I guess your right i find it strange that no mustang tuners do's something about the heavy weight.

fordgt84 08-16-2009 12:47 PM

it could be worse, it could be a BMW M3 (1300kg for original 80s homologation car vs today's 1655 kg luxury coupe). and also the mustang gt is still a lot lighter than its main competitors the dodge charger r/t and camaro ss (granted less powerful than both of them, but the upcoming 5.0l V8 will adress that problem).

5vz-fe 08-16-2009 03:00 PM

and let's not forget the axle rear.

hemi_fan 09-07-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe (Post 869667)
and let's not forget the axle rear.

The live rear axle you mean? It is in there because that's what most mustang enthusiasts wanted from the factory! They used an IRS system in the 03/04 cobra mustangs but many were swapped back to a live rear axle. The mustang will never handle like a corvette or other high-performance vehicles simply because of weight issues, as well as suspension geometry and cost limitations, so expecting it to do so is not exactly fair. It can offer a great deal of performance for the price and the newer 2005+ mustangs actually handle quite well, especially with some simple modifications to the springs/dampers/sway bars etc. They no longer have the triangulated 4-link of the pre-05 mustangs which is prone to binding and twitchy on tracks, plus the newer cars have better front/rear weight distribution and overall better suspension geometry. Compare them to the other two vehicles in their market and the mustang is tough to beat, even with less power.

pagani 09-07-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi_fan (Post 870123)
The live rear axle you mean? It is in there because that's what most mustang enthusiasts wanted from the factory! They used an IRS system in the 03/04 cobra mustangs but many were swapped back to a live rear axle. The mustang will never handle like a corvette or other high-performance vehicles simply because of weight issues, as well as suspension geometry and cost limitations, so expecting it to do so is not exactly fair. It can offer a great deal of performance for the price and the newer 2005+ mustangs actually handle quite well, especially with some simple modifications to the springs/dampers/sway bars etc. They no longer have the triangulated 4-link of the pre-05 mustangs which is prone to binding and twitchy on tracks, plus the newer cars have better front/rear weight distribution and overall better suspension geometry. Compare them to the other two vehicles in their market and the mustang is tough to beat, even with less power.

What the rights mods mustang can handle very good
:-)

gigdy 09-09-2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagani (Post 870127)
What the rights mods mustang can handle very good
:-)

With the right mods a kia can be fast.

loliea 09-09-2009 05:50 PM

I have never been a big fan of the Roush Mustang and I am still not a believer of live rear axle.
If I had $50k for a Mustang and didn't care about resel value I would go with the Saleen's.

For this money I zould rather buy a second hand Z06, M3 or Porsche.

10000rpmlover 09-09-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigdy (Post 870164)

I spewed coffee over my monitor over that post

you mean with an engine swap right?

hemi_fan 09-10-2009 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10000rpmlover (Post 870180)
I spewed coffee over my monitor over that post

you mean with an engine swap right?

tube chassis

MidEngine4Life 09-12-2009 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigdy (Post 870164)

lol...thank you