Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Porsche (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Porsche News (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=894)

st-anger 08-07-2003 11:13 AM

Porsche News

so what about the latest Porsche rumours....
i`ve seen that following topic on some sites today too, so it`s not only me dreaming :lol:
back to the roots, to motorsports??? head of Porsche W.Wiedeking postponed that topic for the developement of the Cayenne.
sometimes i hate the Cayenne because shortly before finishing off the development of the Porsche Carrera GT as a LeMans racing car, the development team was called to help with the development of the new Porsche SUV, so the CGT LeMans racing car died...for now ( in Weissach there are also some rumours to go back to LeMans after the CGT is running well as a road car )
so no new motorsports activieties for my friends at Weissach HQ but something Mr. Wiedeking promised that would never happen:
a Porsche with a diesel engine. Porsche`ll take the 5.0 V10 diesel engine from the Touareg and upgrade it to approx. 370hp.
this desicion has been made to satisfy the euro market due to the criticism of the high fuel comsumption of the petrol driven Cayenne.
so again this is only a rumour, but it makes really sense to me: don´t get me wrong i don`t like diesel engines in sportscars, BUT the Cayenne is no sports car it´s a SUV. and when Porsche is making profit out of it, and i think the will, i`m happy, because then they can invest in the real sportscars and motorsports.

1zippo1 08-07-2003 11:26 AM

Some very interesting info. Didn't expected this, but it doesn't bother me either. If they would have done this with the 911... that would be a total other story. The cayenne is not a sports car as you said.

st-anger you really are a very big Porsch fan. I'm glad you are and other people like you (TT, ...) keep me updated on the car scène.

st-anger 08-07-2003 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1zippo1
Some very interesting info. Didn't expected this, but it doesn't bother me either. If they would have done this with the 911... that would be a total other story. The cayenne is not a sports car as you said.

st-anger you really are a very big Porsch fan. I'm glad you are and other people like you (TT, ...) keep me updated on the car scène.

i´m glad you like my posts...
concearning to the Porsche fan thing....well maybe you don`t know, but some years back i worked for them at the EZW in Weissach (..the motorsport departement of Porsche ) and this was probably the best time of my life...and after that experience everybody`d love Porsche.
it`s the next best thing after my wife...or even the best j/k :lol:
:arrow: so if you ever have questions about Porsche, don`t hesitate to ask me... :wink:

jon_s 08-07-2003 12:07 PM

(glad to see you got you avatar sorted mate! LOOKING GOOD........I can't help but make Broooooooooooooom noises to go along with it!)

st-anger 08-08-2003 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon_s
(glad to see you got you avatar sorted mate! LOOKING GOOD........I can't help but make Broooooooooooooom noises to go along with it!)

yep thx mate, me too.....brooooom, broooom :lol: :lol:

st-anger 08-08-2003 09:55 AM

the latest 997TT pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/fb72525b.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...6/fb725263.jpg

winter testing 997C
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...0/fb724ffe.jpg

st-anger 08-08-2003 12:24 PM

this is a good comparison to the 997TT pictures:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fb721af6.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/fb721b16.jpg

...those are looking quite equally, BUT this is the prototype of the 2005 987 Boxster seen at Porsche’s Weissach proving ground on the outskirts of Stuttgart. the roadster is estimated to hit the road in winter or spring ´04/´05 the coupe a year later.
the details for indicating of beeing a Boxster are:
-two seater
-mid engine layout (note the blacked-out rear side windows and firewall behind the seats)
-long wheelbase ( today’s Boxster have a 6.35cm longer wheelbase than the 911 )
-muscular hip line
-short rear overhang
-small spoiler

Porsche`ll again use the 2.7-liter and 3.2-liter flat-six engines but with increased power ( ~235 for Boxster, ~270 for Boxster S ) and a six-speed double-clutch manual gearbox similar to the system offered on the Audi TT. After the launch of the Roadster and Coupe, a series of performance modells are planned, including a stripped-out Boxster Clubsport model.

st-anger 08-09-2003 10:10 AM

- Cayenne V6 Targa spotted in Leipzig factory -

a friend of mine arrived back from Porsche factory in Leipzig this morning and he immediately came over to tell me the latest news:
he saw a reference model for the Cayenne Targa V6 with 6-speed manual.
the handle seems to be quite large for a Porsche shift handle, and also some other interiour changes can be seen, like the ventilation system’s buttons. if you ever had the chance to look inside a Cayenne S or TT you`ll see two separated silver buttons to adjust airflow and temperature of the aircondition on each side. the V6 modell he saw has only one big silver button on each side, which indicates that automatic aircondition won’t be standard on the V6. The glass roof itself has two partitions upfront, one above the front seats and one above the rear seats. Both looked to be moveable. Next to it is a fixed large glass roof covering the trunk area. so he said that it`s quite as airy in the Cayenne Targa as it`s in the 996 modell because of the fact that really the whole roof consists of glass.

cameras are forbidden inside the factory, so here is a photoshopped pic of a 955TT Targa:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...b/fb703247.jpg

1zippo1 08-09-2003 10:59 AM

I'm not so sure about the new 911 & boxster. I don't really like those air intakes behind the doors. But we'll just have to wait and see.

I think it's strange however that they changed the appearance of the boxster in such a radical way. I know folks who say the boxster is much more attractive then the 911. I don't agree, but won't porsche loose a lot of potential customers in the future when they make the Boxster look so much like a 911.

Well it's kinda normall that the standard equipement of the V6 cayenne is less then in the other models. Porsche is trying to compete with the Merc ML & BMW X5 off course, so they had to make a lower priced model. This Targa doesn't look that bad at first sight, but the back of the car still looks a bit weird, pitty.

Thx for all the info st-anger

st-anger 08-09-2003 04:23 PM

IMO especially the new 911 generation will definately look very cool...a modern car with some "old style" elements from the 993. i`m really looking forward to its release. about the boxster....hmmm.... i`ve never been a real boxster fan..it´s like "i`d like to.... but can`t afford a decent Porsche"! i`d definately go for a BMW Z4 instead.
....well i really can`t understnd why ppl say a Boxster is more attractive than a 911either... :roll:
but something has to be done after 7 years with the old Boxster and over 6 years 996, just look at the production numbers:

2003:
Boxters ~ 20000 units
911 ~ 25000 units

2004:
Boxter -50% 10000 units
911 -30% 17500 units

and now just look at the figures for the Cayenne, which is IMO one of the smartest steps of Porsche and now launching a diesel Cayenne...respect.
so i can`t really see the point of some ppl who are complaining about the Cayenne nowadays, it`s good looking, faster ( "better" ) than any other SUV. and it sales as hell.
955 figures for 2003:
Cayenne ~ 25000 units

2004:
+37.5% 40000 units

so the main production won`t be sportscars in 2004, so nobody can say the 955 is useless, ugly, Porsche`s biggest mistake or whatever....
if it hasn`t that high fuel consumption i`d purchase one right away on monday... :wink:

TT 08-09-2003 04:28 PM

Hehe, I agree with you dude. The Cayene hit hard and bring home serious money! And now with a smaller engine and a diesel one, it would even improve IMO...

BTW, here Cayennes begin to be everywhere... look this pic.. I tried to take a Murci in pic, but the camera took ages to take the pic, so I almost missed the Lambo... but look what was there? LOL, a Cayenne! Just by chance... in some month, I'll try to take a random pic with my eyes closed in town and there will be 4 Cayennes in it :P

http://www.flytrap.it/public/ttsib/col032.jpg

sportVeloce 08-10-2003 06:25 AM

In LA there are Cayennes everywhere. They are getting good penetration into that market. Its cool how they still maintain the real porsche look.

TT -> Nice pic. Thats funny... you nearly missed the Murceilago and got a Cayenne. Hehe... Nice to see you out with your cam ready for any Lambos. Was it a special trip or do you carry your cam everywhere?

TT 08-10-2003 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sportVeloce
TT -> Nice pic. Thats funny... you nearly missed the Murceilago and got a Cayenne. Hehe... Nice to see you out with your cam ready for any Lambos. Was it a special trip or do you carry your cam everywhere?

Usually when it's a nice day, I bring the camera with me, just in case :)

st-anger 08-11-2003 07:04 AM

- no mobile phones for visitors -
- 8 for 911-

due to industrial espionage with the new Mulit Messaging System mobile phones, Porsche can`t permit visitors with such a mobil phone to their factories.
the funny thing is that a ( ....now ex- ) employee made the picture of the GT3 RS
right after that VW and BWM also can`t permit MMS mobile phones for visitors any more....

this info is already quite old but maybe some don`t know yet...
the spy shots from the 997 indicates big news for Porsche enthusiasts:
flared wheel arches, door sill extensions and a significantly increased rear-track width.
the wider track will mean even more impressive handling, but more importantly, increased space in the engine bay would provide room for an eight-cylinder engine for the first time in a 911.
although Porsche isn`t confirming anything, instead the company has hinted an evolution of the existing 3.6ltr. flat six engine. this leads to the conclusion that the rumoured 450hp 5.0 ltr. flat-eight engine is a addition to the 6cyl. or the "S" version. but it would be nice to have a 5.0ltr. 8cyl. ..... even nicer after turbocharging it....
there are said to be no less than thirteen variants of the 997 scheduled, starting with the six-cylinder Carrera Coupe in spring 2004. new models will be rolled out at six-month intervals, with cabriolet and targa models to follow, and both Turbo and GT variants as well as the S. The S is likely to be more comfort-orientated than the all-out Turbos and GTs, and will come in coupe, targa or cabriolet form. Expect also Carrera 4 4WD models.

...another interesting info from german magazine "Auto Motor Sport":they recently talked of a two-door "Kombi-Coupe" to rival the BMW M3, powered by that V8 engine - mounted at the front...

AlienDB7 08-12-2003 02:01 PM

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2004@$Porsche@$911%20Turbo%20Cabrioletg.html
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet

666fast 08-12-2003 06:49 PM

i like where Porsche is headed with thier cars. i think they all look great and will no doubt have the performance Porsche is known for.
the 997, in my opinion, looks great. I love the wide stance.
The Boxster is very nice I think.
I've always liked the Cayenne. Hell, I have a huge poster of one in my room. I'm sure Porsche will make money off of it, I think they sold out the first year of trucks that will be avaliable here.

St. Anger, if you find anything about Porsche taking the Carrera GT racing, please post it! It's a great car and I've wanted to see Porsche take it racing in a factory backed effort since they first showed it.

1zippo1 08-12-2003 06:58 PM

I've read in a car magazine that Porsche isn't "officially" planning to take it racing but Mazarati should go racing with their car (the one with the enzo engine in it) and maybe Lamborghini will have a racing version of the Gallardo. In that case, Porsche will probably follow with their GT. So lets all pray this happens :wink:

666fast 08-12-2003 08:30 PM

And lets hope they bring them to my side of the pond!
:lol:

st-anger 08-13-2003 10:56 AM

- new GT2 October 2003 -

well it`s not a new one but the flat-six engine will have 483hp (+21hp) and 472lb-ft ( 640Nm) (+20Nm)
0-62mph: 4.0sec, 0-124mph: 12.5sec, top speed: 198mph
av.fuel cons.: 12.9ltr
price: 184.674€

there`ll be modifications at front and rear axle, suspension and brakes which are more sensitive now with the new four channel antilock brake systems. the rear wing is imroved aerodynamical, is 2.8kg lighter and as an option it can be delivered non painted with carbon style.
in the Clubsport version the rear wing, sideview mirrors, and parts of the front wing are also in carbon. for braking PCCB is used and the wheels have GT3 style ( front: 235/40 R18, rear:315/30 R18 )

http://members.aon.at/st-anger/GT2_new.JPG

1zippo1 08-13-2003 11:42 AM

That will surely be one fast track machine... as the current GT2 allready is.

It seems no drastical changes, just some improvements. Don't think those couple kg weight saved (maybe 5 in total) will matter so much... A more powerfull engine is off course allways an improvement.

st-anger 08-13-2003 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666fast
St. Anger, if you find anything about Porsche taking the Carrera GT racing, please post it! It's a great car and I've wanted to see Porsche take it racing in a factory backed effort since they first showed it.

you guys`ll be one of the first to know...
what a pitty that you are from "the other side of the pond" because otherwise your chances of seeing one would be much higher.
i`ve seen the CGT racing several times during my work at Weissach, where Roland Kussmaul ( Weissach`s chief test driver ) and Michael Hölscher ( overall project manager CGT ) raced the test track with it and of course in the aerodynamic dep., sound dep. ..... i think you all know the vid with the yellow CGT racing around the Weissach test track in winter...it`s kinda like that.
but the best thing was when i`d been invited to attend the filming of a official presentation video around the test rack in Leipzig. test driver had been "the god" Walther Röhrl, the only person who really knows how to push the CGT to its limits. that laps have been the most impressive ones i`ve ever seen.
of course everybody can see it when there is a car show somewhere around but to see it driving is a very special moment.
i hope i can attend a presentation day that summer/fall. instuctors will introduce the customers to their new cars and they are able to take a round on the "hot seat" because there`ll be only two production CGT`s for that. and i think it`s better not to let the owners drive it for the first time on a race track....this might get expensive. the ppl who signed a contract to buy a CGT`ll have the chance to drive with a 996TT and/or a GT2.
the dates seems to be confirmed now, because the first presentation should have been on 2nd of july but all the dates were cancelled. now the first presentation starts on Aug.20th and the following two weeks.

but back to the main topic....
as i posted before motorsport activities are all postponed because of the 955 and 997 modells. just imagine how much work that would be preparing a CGT for LeMans .....or whatever. and the guys from the motorsport dep. at Weissach have enough work with the GT3`s from the Porsche Supercup. so i see no chance of a motorsport project with the CGT before 2007 to 2010. it depends on the 997TT.... some sources say it`ll appear right after the 997 C modells others say it won`t hit the road before 2006 or 2007.....

st-anger 08-14-2003 05:42 AM

- Merc SLR vs. CGT -

some interesting news…
due to the development of the 955 modells engineers from the CGT project were called to help shortly before finishing the CGT racing car for LeMans.
the power output of that engine`d been 580hp. however, to see how competitive the CGT was against the SLR the two development teams did a test drive, and the CGT lost the race. hence the CGT has been upgraded to 612 hp as a result of this defeat, and Mercedes has responded by raising its horsepower to 626 hp. This is one of the major reasons why the SLR has been considerably delayed.

scubywrxr 08-16-2003 05:27 AM

The CGT is more of a drivers car than the SLR..

the porsche is manual shift, mid engined and looks like it just drove off from the Lemans circuit.. SLR is too GT for my liking - they could have done so much with it. Its a pity that Mercedes did not push the boat out further.

Apparently the enzo is going to be lapped by the CGT around Nurburgring? Is there any truth to this? will there be porsche sport division performance upgrades for it as well?

st-anger 08-16-2003 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubywrxr
Apparently the enzo is going to be lapped by the CGT around Nurburgring? Is there any truth to this? will there be porsche sport division performance upgrades for it as well?

i don`t think that there`ll be a supertest Enzo vs. CGT but i`m 99% sure the CGT would win that battle dur to its vast development testing on the Nordschleife. because of that Ferrari will never allow one of their Enzos to challenge the Ring, so anyone with an Enzo in the garage on this forum...
the only good chance of getting a head to head testing between Enzo, CGT and SLR is when german car magazine "Sport Auto" tests them on the Nordschleife.

some estimated but also likely figures:

Nordschleife: 07.20 min
Hockenheim: 01.07 min
0-124-0: 14sec (0-124: 9.6s 124-0: 4.4s)
aerodynamics: 124mph: front axle +60kg, rear axle +140kg
max. g-force: 1.45G

st-anger 08-16-2003 09:12 AM

-997TT testing video on the Nordschleife -

i`m not sure if you guys have already seen this one ( it`s some days old )
a friend of mine sent me the link:

http://movies.autoexpress.co.uk/Pors...rbo-082003.mov

TT 08-20-2003 07:49 AM

Just stumbled across some wallpapers with the new GT2 ;)

-> http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/12/911gt204_01_1024.jpg
-> http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/12/911gt204_03_1024.jpg

They're done with the pics we already saw the official ones...

st-anger 08-21-2003 05:07 AM

- the truth is near -

can`t wait for the next issue of "AMS"
just look at this unspectacular announcement:

http://www.auto.t-online.de/ams/?te_startPos=03

it´s german but it says that what we all are waiting for:

Ferrari Enzo vs. Porsche Carrera GT vs. Lamborghini Gallardo on the Nordschleife.

already marked sept. 3rd in my calendar.....

draak666 08-21-2003 06:13 AM

It would be nice to know when they will test it, so we can be there and witness it LIVE. :P

st-anger 08-21-2003 08:09 AM

i`m 100% sure the already did the comparison during a "industry pool" day....
but anyway i`d die to attend that battle when the CGT kick`s the Enzo`s ass...hopefully... :wink:
i don´t know why the added the Gallardo to that two, although i think it might be even faster than the Murc. around the Nordschleife...

http://members.aon.at/st-anger/CGTEnzoGall.JPG

your thoughts on that....

666fast 08-21-2003 04:32 PM

My thoughts are hell yea! I just hope someone is there to record it! lol
We all know that the Enzo and the Carrera GT are fast cars, but I'm honestly not sure what will be faster around the Nordschliefe.
I love the Enzo, but I'm rooting for the Carrera.
Thanks for the awesome news St. Anger! I like your sig pic too.

1zippo1 08-21-2003 05:29 PM

That's some very interesting news.

Plz try and make some scans from the article, I'm more then willing to host them for you on my webspace!!!
I can understand a bit German so.

I don't think the Gallardo stands a chance however... I don't quite understand why they took that as the third car. A Koenigsegg or a Pagani would have been a better choice. I would love to see a comparison between the Pagani and those other two.

To be honest I think the Enzo is gonna wip the CGT's ass big time (if we're talking about speed). But lets just wait and see.

st-anger 08-22-2003 07:47 AM

well, you guys`ll be the first to know...

some new boxter pics:
don`t lile the look, but i don`t like the Boxter at all...

http://a298.g.akamai.net/7/298/5382/...0_image001.jpg

the interiour of all new Porsche modells`ll be a bit Cayenne like....

http://bilder.autobild.de/bilder/1/30646.jpg

btw zippo ( ...everybody !!? ) what times do you estimate...????

TT 08-22-2003 08:22 AM

Actually this new coupé version is not bad IMO :)

1zippo1 08-22-2003 08:25 AM

What times... mmmm that's a hard one, very hard. Here's my guess:

Enzo: 7min 10sec (if they have a really really good driver)
Porsche CGT: 7min 20sec
Gallardo: 7 min 45sec

maybe a bit over positive... hard to tell... can't wait for the real results :D

TT 08-22-2003 08:35 AM

Quote:

What times... mmmm that's a hard one, very hard. Here's my guess:

Enzo: 7min 10sec (if they have a really really good driver)
Porsche CGT: 7min 20sec
Gallardo: 7 min 45sec

maybe a bit over positive... hard to tell... can't wait for the real results :D

Very hard to guess.. I think they'll be a little slower, but not sure... The 996 GT3 is around 7:55 or something like that... can the baby Lambo be 10 seconds faster... possible :D

As for an almost 7 min time for the Enzo, it would be amazing, but maybe it will be a little slower... but I'm not an expert and BTW, is there somewhere a site with all the times for the Ring, up to date if possible? I never found it...

st-anger 08-22-2003 10:43 AM

now i`m a bit of an expert and mainly everything concearning Porsche, so i really don`t have an idea about the Enzo`s lap time, but from the technical view it might be equally fast than the GCT, but it would surprise me as hell if the Enzo`d be faster than the CGT.
i think it´s nearly impossible.

BUT guys.....
i think we`re expecting a bit too much of that test of AMS....
we don`t know anything about it.
my estimated lap time for the CGT is only possible with the right driver, such as Walter Röhrl or a equally good driver that can handle the CGT, Enzo.... ( is that possible...???? )
i think even for a decent and very skilled ring driver such as horst v. saurma it`d be impossible to drive such times without practicing a lot...
next chapter: the tyres...just look at the CSL vs. GT3....

btw a 7:10 for the Enzo ?????
just to compare: Clay Regazzoni clocked a 7:06 with a F1 Ferrari
and Olaf Manthey a 7:17 with a GTR3-MR in the 2002 VLN.

TT i think this is the site you`re searching for:
http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp

1zippo1 08-22-2003 11:46 AM

Oops, sorry. As I said, I'm not an expert on the ring... I only had a few times to base my time on. And the best was a X5 Le Mans with 800hp (7:30), but that thing was pretty high above the ground and weight a lot so I thought the Enzo should do a lot better.

I still think that the Enzo will do better then the CGT, but you know a lot more then cars then I do, so I'll probably be wrong :wink:

Oh and why, well the power to weight ratio of the enzo is better, or am I mistaken again?

TT 08-22-2003 12:26 PM

Thanks st-anger, but I already know that site :) it's simply not enough LOL :D

st-anger 08-23-2003 05:53 PM

Quote:

I still think that the Enzo will do better then the CGT, but you know a lot more then cars then I do, so I'll probably be wrong :wink:

Oh and why, well the power to weight ratio of the enzo is better, or am I mistaken again?

well thx for the compliment, but although i`ve studied that kind of stuff and always been working in the automobil industry my guesses can be completely wrong, but technically, the CGT should be faster, that`s for sure...

well, so lets take a closer look Enzo vs. CGT…
for me as a technician i immediately thought of the battle Porsche 959 vs. Ferrari F40 back in the 90`s. they were both brilliant cars but each in a very different way. the raw racecar sportiness and fury of the F40 vs the technologically ahead of its time and effective 959.
and history repeats itself: the Enzo again is the raw racecar with no compromises and the CGT is the state of the art car in terms of new technologies. Porsche registered over 70 patents on the CGT. Just think of PCCC, PCCB and the the first production car to feature a monocoque chassis and engine/transmission mounts made of carbon-fibre-reinforced plastic.
As said before both are incredible cars, but on the one hand the Enzo is a bit too much screaming “ohhh just look at me”, on the other hand the CGT doesn`t have to, I think it`s simply the better looking car, from inside and outside. I`ve only seen the CGT from inside but it just looks beautiful and it`s more streetable, again inside and to drive. Is it just up to me or are many Enzo customers more on the 'garage-queen'/'occasional track toy' side, because of its exclusivity. to be precise, more a collectors item. On the other hand the CGT has been designed to be driven for real due to it`s vast development on the Nordschleife. even engineers from BMW who were also testing on the nordschleife during “indurtry pool” sessions reckon that the CGT will be the first production car to break the 7:30 mark, not a single word about the Enzo. sure this has also been one of Ferrari´s goals but the main test track of the Enzo`d been Fiorano so this is really no comparison to the nordschleife, and the CGT has been tested there and at Weissach test track. so i think the Enzo might do better on “normal” tracks (flat, smooth, etc), but the CGT is going to be the best choice for the nordschleife, for sure. hopefully there`ll be no surprises....
i think i`ve posted that before but just to sum it up, there had been a secret comparison carried out by Porsche at the Papenburg proving grounds. the result: the two cars are very equal in performance, also in handling terms in the dry, but the CGT has a better wet grip and handling. so, the downforce of the CGT is more appreciated than a few extra mph or some seconds faster acceleration times, just look at the coefficient of drag: CGT: 0.39, Enzo: 0.37
996 TT: 0.31.
some other figures are interesting, the Enzo did 1.36gs of transverse acceleration on a 400m radius at Fiorano, Ferrari engineers claim it can easily do 1.4gs. to compare a standard GT2 can do 1.35gs ...no problem, a M3 CSL ( with michelin pilot sport tyres ) 1.4gs
concearning the weight there are many confusions every manufactorer claims their car is the lightest, has the better power to weight ratio or whatever.
The problem with that weight figures is the difference between EG and DIN measurement:
The DIN weight ist the curb or unladen weight, the EG weight includes a standard 65kg driver and 7kg luggage. So I´ve seen serveral different figures, by the end of 2001 the CGT had been ever 150kg lighter than the production car nowadays to make it more driveable after walter röhrl`s first test drives, but I´ll comment on that later…
So here are the ( hopefully exactely ) figures:

CGT DIN: 1380kg
EG: 1452kg
Enzo DIN: 1365kg
EG: 1437kg

So power to weight ration is about 2.25 kg/hp to 2.1kg/hp.
0-60 wins the Enzo, +48hp, launch control, F1 style shifting paddles, 0-124…we can only guess, but the CGT has a 1/4 mile time of 10.9 sec which is faster than the Ferrari Enzo's 11.1 sec. 0-60-0 or 0-186-0 would be interesting. top speeds…who is interessted in that…???
it`s a useless topic, but there`ll be test drives at Nardo or places like that, just for showing off and marketing...
so back to the things walter röhrl said about the CGT. one day the engineering team was about to cancel the a day´s testing at the nordschkeife because of bad weather but röhrl insisted the car had to be tested in slippery conditions too, and when he arrived back from that lap he was white. So that’s why the car is now 150kg heavier, due to several safety instalations such as TC and ESP…although originally Porsche had no plans to fit any electronically stabillity systems only röhrls insistence forced Porsche to develop these things for the CGT.
without all that stuff röhrl said before: "the first car in my life that i drive and i feel scared".
now the next statement is an interesting one as well: “at the nürburgring, i´ve tested the car with several tyre combinations and found that the 20-inch Michelin tyres, while excellent in the dry, were more of a handful in the wet than the equivalent Pirellis, on which I´ve been 20 ( !!!! ) seconds a lap quicker around the 22km circuit”
When he was asked to estimate a lap time he said: “ we develop the car to be the best we can possibly build and then put a stop watch on it. we don't come up with a time and say 'this is what we must achieve' because then you have a limit."
The best time so far during the test sessions`ve been a 7:36 but without any pressure of clocking a good lap, röhrl said.
now here`s something maybe only a hand full ppl know just to show on what level the test sessions are. i´ve the info from my very reliable source, because there were so many rumours about that accident.....very funny to read that some ppl are completely wrong and are thinking they know a lot....
During a testing session röhrl pushed a bit too hard, hit a curb you shouldn`t hit at “Kallenhard” and all of a sudden the airbags opened up. The airbag hit back the helmet of röhrl and he shortly lost control of the car, which touched a wall and was slightly damaged on the left side. the rumours said the car was completely wrecked, röhrl seriously injured ( ...because of the helicopter transport...)and it d been his fault. to be sure everything is fine with röhrl he was brought to hospital to Bonn by helicopter, but they found nothing and he left the hospital immediately, to look what`s happened to the car.
And the best is yet to come…when someone asked mr. kussmaul which car is faster, the Enzo or CGT, he replied “ the Enzo is a true racecar for the track, and the CGT with the setup it is sold to the customers, a streetable sportscar you can drive everyday. But we have another setup for the track too, so don`t worry ”

TT 08-23-2003 05:59 PM

Very nice little "walkthrough" :)

Just curious, not sure, but I guess Porsche did more hours at the Ring that Ferrari did :) maybe it can help too :D

st-anger 08-23-2003 06:04 PM

what i know, the Enzo never laped the nordschleife during developement process...

TT 08-23-2003 06:18 PM

Really? Never? Dang, every car lap the Nurburgring lately, during developpement, even Maybach and such :P

fireguy 08-26-2003 03:30 PM

i think the enzo takes it, but this will depend on how good the driver(s) are; wish i knew deutch.......my wife is german but i'm too lazy to have her teach me :lol: i'll just get her to translate it for me.......

st-anger 09-01-2003 03:01 PM

well, i arrived back from holidays today and it seems like i really missed everything...
a former colleague during my time at Porsche Weissach mailed me on the 26th of october that he just attended the "CGT experience" for the customers the day before. sadly he won`t be a owner some time, but he managed to attend, we call this our "Weissach bonus"...
as i posted before there were two CGT´s a black and a silver one, with proffesional drivers to show the customers the true potential of the car. the customers weren`t allowed to test drive a CGT but a C2, C4S, TT,TT X50, GT2, Cayenne TT & S. many of the ppl attending were also Cayenne drivers and the instructors showed them also the real potential of the Porsche SUV around the track, and yes, you can drift with a 955TT properly.... the 955S was mainly for off road use...
my friend arrived at midday where the customers had lunch at that time. Porsche has quite a program for CGT customers, not only the standard Leipzig factory tour...
by the time they reached the airport ( ...when they were comming by plane...many customers were from usa or something like that ) a Cayenne picked them up and they were brought to a well known hotel in leipzig.
an exclusive dinner in a top restaurant with all inculsive. you can order what you want and as much you want. the following day`s programme: the standard video presentation of the facility and a special CGT vid, lunch at the restaurant, followed by a tour trough the museum. to sum it up a tour of the 7 production lines where the first production car`ll be finished in october. after that, 2-3 hours track experience with the cars i mentioned above. to sum it up, really all of the ppl who had the chance to get a ride in the CGT were speachless due to its performance and the driver`s courage to push it so far, must have been real fun, maybe i´m able to attend a "CGT exp. event" in late october, i´ve told the right ppl that i would like to...
then i`ll be able to provide you some pics too...

fedezyl 09-01-2003 03:21 PM

St-Anger, I never cease to be amazed about your knowledge and connections at Porsche, it's very good to have someone like you on board and i'm glad you have decided to keep us up to date with accurate information about Porsche..
Now, I've read that you specialized in AWD transmissions, but I imagine your engineering knowledge is in all areas too...
Do you work on the automobile industrie now, or what do you do?

st-anger 09-01-2003 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fedezyl
St-Anger, I never cease to be amazed about your knowledge and connections at Porsche, it's very good to have someone like you on board and i'm glad you have decided to keep us up to date with accurate information about Porsche..
Now, I've read that you specialized in AWD transmissions, but I imagine your engineering knowledge is in all areas too...
Do you work on the automobile industrie now, or what do you do?

my pleasure providing you some infos, sadly ( for you guys... :wink: ) i can`t tell you everything i`ve experienced during my time at Weissach, there`d be so much to tell ( developement of Cayenne and CGT, testing on track, GT3 cup cars, engine/transmission developement....)
well i think i know quite some things concerning everything about cars on the technical and also practical side i learned a lot during my time at "Magna" but especially at Porsche. i worked there nearly 24/7 because it`s been so interesting and all the ppl working at Weissach are real proffessionals so it`s very constructive working with them, never boring and the fun when testing on the track has always been superb.
now i´m also working in automobile industry, at Bosch Motronic. we`re developing the next generation of common rail fuel injection systems. so from driveline technology to engine engineering, which is probably the most interesting part of all.

st-anger 09-02-2003 11:40 AM

anyone interested...???? :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fb347fd7.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...7/fb347fee.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fb348006.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8/fb348020.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...d/fb348047.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...4/fb348064.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a/fb34807b.jpg

666fast 09-02-2003 01:24 PM

I'm always interested!
The Carrera GT looks awesome in black.

scubywrxr 09-02-2003 04:37 PM

WOW.. I did not realize that the CGT was that good looking - those camera angles do wonders for its wierd rear 3/4 section.
I like it very much and would take it over the nancy enzo - I know the porsche would survive at least 300 000 miles.. coz if I had it i would drive it every day, everywhere - at least 50 000miles a year :lol:

st-anger 09-03-2003 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scubywrxr
I know the porsche would survive at least 300 000 miles.. coz if I had it i would drive it every day, everywhere - at least 50 000miles a year :lol:

thats a very good comment, because the driver of the black CGT uses that one as a daily driver, so now you can imagine how driveable a supercar can be. i don`t think there are many Enzo drivers who ride their baby every day. he said even in heavy city traffic it`s no problem to drive the CGT properly.

....damm i think i´m gonna sell one or two houses and buy a CGT instead... :wink: