Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Clarkson loves the CTS-V... openly (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59500)

HeilSvenska 10-13-2008 11:09 AM

Clarkson loves the CTS-V... openly

Quote:

The manual version I drove will hit 191mph. And it accelerates with a verve that truly leaves you breathless. It also makes an utterly irresistible growl. Like an AMG Mercedes but more refined.

And now you are expecting the “but”. But there isn’t one. Maybe the steering is a bit too light, but other than this it handles beautifully when you have the Ferrari-style magnetic dampers in “sport”, and rides soothingly when you switch the knob to “comfort”.

Even more surprising is the interior. Trimmed by the people who do the Bugatti Veyron, it is — and you won’t believe this — a nice place to be.

The Clarksometer
You'd be mad to buy anything else
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle4920262.ece

Sadly, Jeremy Clarkson didn't know that Ferrari's magnetic shocks are made by Delphi, which was formed by GM. So it should be that the Ferrari has a Cadillac-style suspension. :laugh:

RC45 10-13-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska (Post 856236)
Sadly, Jeremy Clarkson didn't know that Ferrari's magnetic shocks are made by Delphi, which was formed by GM. So it should be that the Ferrari has a Cadillac-style suspension. :laugh:

Exactly - those shocks debuted on the 2002 C5 Corvette Coupe ;) hehehe

r2r 10-13-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeilSvenska (Post 856236)

He most likely does know, it just won't sound as cool the other way around.

We all know how Jeremy likes to twist words to his advantage. :-)

enzoferrari 10-13-2008 03:04 PM

I wasnt expecting that from JC.

nthfinity 10-14-2008 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RC45 (Post 856248)
Exactly - those shocks debuted on the 2002 C5 Corvette Coupe ;) hehehe

Magnetic ride was available on somewhat early C4's in the 80's if I'm not mistaken, and definitely available on the ZR1 in 1990...

RC45 10-14-2008 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity (Post 856303)
Magnetic ride was available on somewhat early C4's in the 80's if I'm not mistaken, and definitely available on the ZR1 in 1990...

Ah - you are almost correct with your Corvette lore.. but not quite ;)

The original FX3 Selective Ride Control was a purely hydraulic system where by the valving was changed by rotatting the shock shaft to expose differing sized orifices - the 2002(2003 model year) newer FX3 Magnetic Selective Ride Control system used an electronic current to essentially change the viscosity of the fluid.

The older system only took vehicle speed into account (maybe yaw, I dont recall) but the new system is more of an active response to a multitude of inputs.

But the real cool thing about the early FX3 system, was that it was I believe the 2nd production car to have active suspension - the 1st was the 959 - so even back in 1989 Corvette was running and gunning with the big dogs - its just taht no-one admitted it. ;)

But the bottomline is that the 599 and the ZR1 both use a system first designed for and used by GM . GM leads the way again :)

79TA 10-14-2008 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2r (Post 856250)
He most likely does know, it just won't sound as cool the other way around.

We all know how Jeremy likes to twist words to his advantage. :-)

I never know what to assume about Clarkson, especially when I remember that he couldn't tell the difference between a V6 and V8 Mustang and also called asked if a C6 'vette had a "5.7 litre V8." Then there's that one about him assuming that the Shelby GT had 500 hp. And then there's the one where they dynoed the GT500 and assumed it would make the same 500 hp at the wheels as it did at the Crank, but that was more Hammond's doing.

r2r 10-14-2008 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79TA (Post 856329)
I never know what to assume about Clarkson, especially when I remember that he couldn't tell the difference between a V6 and V8 Mustang and also called asked if a C6 'vette had a "5.7 litre V8." Then there's that one about him assuming that the Shelby GT had 500 hp. And then there's the one where they dynoed the GT500 and assumed it would make the same 500 hp at the wheels as it did at the Crank, but that was more Hammond's doing.

You got to take into account that when Clarckson reviews American cars he finds things to criticize them on, even if they aren't true.

That's just my take on it.

79TA 10-14-2008 04:34 PM

I'm just saying he isn't always that aware of various car facts, especially when related to American cars.

HeilSvenska 10-14-2008 04:37 PM

It's true. He really isn't good with car facts.