Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   2005 Mustang Abuse (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16755)

hemi_fan 10-02-2004 11:47 AM

2005 Mustang Abuse

Reverse Burnout = :roll:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/images/2005Mustang.wmv

FoxFour 10-02-2004 12:37 PM

A brand new car, not even properly broken in and it's abused like that :fist: Even though the announcer was saying the man's name, I bet you that was not his car. Probably the sales manager got his hands on one of the first ones out and now he will sell it at serious overcost. How about another finger? 0X

Vansquish 10-02-2004 07:18 PM

Has anyone read the new Motortrend test yet? The '05 GT Automatic transmission equipped car recorded a 5.1 second 0-60mph time, and it costs $25k usd.

racer_f50 10-02-2004 08:04 PM

i dont' see why you guys consider that abuse...
its a Mustang for fuck's sake, its made for dropping the clutch and doing burnouts. the only thing being abused are the tires i'd say.
not like its an expensive car to replace parts on anyways.

Mustang_66 10-02-2004 10:18 PM

A friend of mine, his brother works for ford and he was told that the new GT's are having problems with the chassis twisting due to the amount of power they are putting out.

-Markus-

nthfinity 10-03-2004 12:28 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine, his brother works for ford and he was told that the new GT's are having problems with the chassis twisting due to the amount of power they are putting out.
well... not exactly 'twisting'
problems seem to arise out of how rigid the chassis is, and internal ford pollitics of 'who needs to know first' etc. :roll:
i must point out, working for Ford is different from working on the mustang

hmm... i havent recieved my new motor trend in the mail yet...

hemi_fan 10-03-2004 04:18 PM

How is that not abuse!! The forward gears are perfectly capable of handling the power durring a burnout, but in REVERSE!?! The reverse gear is not built to handle that kind of abuse. Im surprised it stood up to it. Also, the engine is most likely not broken in yet, and shouldnt be abused that hard!

ZfrkS62 10-03-2004 04:26 PM

that engine already has about 50,000miles on it. These days manufaturers are breaking in the engines at the factory and running them at high RPM for long stretches. Just how long they do it varies from company to company but it's somewhere between 48 and 72 hours.

The reason for this is because the average consumer doesn't know how to break an engine in properly. But the companies will tell you its quality control.

T-Bird 10-03-2004 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
that engine already has about 50,000miles on it. These days manufaturers are breaking in the engines at the factory and running them at high RPM for long stretches. Just how long they do it varies from company to company but it's somewhere between 48 and 72 hours.

The reason for this is because the average consumer doesn't know how to break an engine in properly. But the companies will tell you its quality control.

So in 48-72 hours they acumulate 50,000 miles on the car?
Then I want a Mustang since in your logic it can go roughly 1000 mph and that's damn fast.

And unless the Reverse gear is built onto one of the Syncros it is pretty much just as strong as the rest of the gears even beeing a Dog gear but yes it would be a little weaker if on the Syncro but they aren't that weak, every gear is built to handle the car in stock form, you have to worry about the Friction disc first.

ZfrkS62 10-03-2004 04:41 PM

so my figures aren't exact. my point is the engine is already broken in and can handle that sort of punishment.

FoxFour 10-03-2004 07:38 PM

Would you buy a new $25.000 car like that?
Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_f50
i dont' see why you guys consider that abuse...
its a Mustang for fuck's sake, its made for dropping the clutch and doing burnouts. the only thing being abused are the tires i'd say.
not like its an expensive car to replace parts on anyways.

You must be really rich, drive a car like that all the time and then say hello to buying and installing parts for it all the time. Of course, you could take it to the dealership to have it fixed under warranty, till they find out that the owner has been doing burnouts with it. There's driving a car hard and then ther's abuse. That's abuse.

sentra_dude 10-07-2004 11:50 AM

Isn't that what American cars are made for though?

;) ;) ;)

Yea, its a bit of an asshole thing to do, but its not like its a Ferrari...

racer_f50 10-07-2004 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxFour
Would you buy a new $25.000 car like that?

i wouldn't buy a Mustang to begin with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoxFour
You must be really rich, drive a car like that all the time and then say hello to buying and installing parts for it all the time. Of course, you could take it to the dealership to have it fixed under warranty, till they find out that the owner has been doing burnouts with it. There's driving a car hard and then ther's abuse. That's abuse.

I've seen it posted before that Ford tests their Mustangs for drop-clutch launches and stuff on a drag strip over and over and over. They're not going to put a weak clutch in a car like this, cuz they know that people who buy Mustangs are going to do lots of burnouts. Sure theres probly one or 2 guys who actually buy them and don't, but around here its mostly girls and cocky guys who buy them cuz they think they'll look cool.
Even replacing the clutch wouldn't be very expensive, and i doubt you'd have to do it very often. As for the reverse gear, that guy probly won't be doing burnouts in reverse very often, and i'm sure Ford's gears are fairly heavy-duty. The only thing i'd worry about on a car like that would be the tires, but you can get some cheap tires for like $40 a tire and do burnouts all day and you own't be out much money. I'm not saying i'd do any of this, but it shouldn't be such a shock to see a Mustang owner doing this.
If this were a Ferrari, sure it would get really expensive really quick, but since its a Ford, you can fix it yourself pretty cheaply.

Kal-EL905 10-07-2004 03:41 PM

That was a cool video. I love the styling of the new Mustang.

noliebro 10-08-2004 03:28 AM

what a proper american car, excellent video!