Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   SP2 (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14614)

possessed_beaver 08-16-2004 11:04 AM

SP2

who is using service package number 2 for windows xp, and how are you finding it, more importantly who is using it on a illegal copy of windows xp, and it works fine?

evoWalo 08-16-2004 11:09 AM

it killed doom 3 by 10 frames per second. firewall's lame you're better off with zonealarm. friend used it on a pirated xp and it worked.

nejcdolinsek 08-16-2004 11:25 AM

Yeah, you can install it on a pirated copy.

The pop-up blocker is the best part of the entire service pack!

But I had to uninstall SP2 because of a very strange thing:
whenever I selected a file, and right clicked on it, the damn hourglass mouse pointer showed, and the system froze, untill I pressed ctrl+alt+del, and ended "Dr. Watson". After I ended it, the system recovered... the same thing happened if I wanted to delete a file: I selected the file, pressed delete, and the system locked. The only way I could delete the damn file was dragging it into the recycle bin!!!

Anyone else had these problems?

Ian_yamaue 08-16-2004 12:17 PM

I experienced this bug too, but after the 3rd restart it was gone, I don't know how or why cuz I just restarted... :roll:

nejcdolinsek 08-16-2004 12:51 PM

If you format, do you need to install SP1 in order to install SP2?

Ian_yamaue 08-16-2004 01:54 PM

I don't know, my version of XP already came with SP1 installed. Sorry.

Ian_yamaue 08-16-2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thamar
It's even better to do a format & install sp2 then to install sp2 over sp1.

:?: :?:
sp2 then sp1 over sp2
or sp1 then sp2 over sp1

Minacious 08-16-2004 04:26 PM

Thamar is basically saying that it would be better to do a clean install with SP2 than to install SP2 on top of SP1.

T-Bird 08-16-2004 05:19 PM

how did you guys even get SP2?
I run windows update automatically and it says I still have SP1 but when I go to Windows update it says it's not available yet and that your location (especially outside the US) will determine when you get it and that windows update automatic users will get it before others and so far only companies have been able to receive it.

topgeartom 08-16-2004 06:46 PM

i was wondering that - i heard on the radio that it was becoming available in the next few weeks.

I just had a look on the windows site, and you can get it to distribute onto multiple computers - for office managers of a computer network, but you can not get it for just a single computer yet.

nthfinity 08-16-2004 07:26 PM

Quote:

who is using service package number 2 for windows xp, and how are you finding it, more importantly who is using it on a illegal copy of windows xp, and it works fine?
im running SP 2 on the original pirated edition of xp... running w/out a re-format for over 2 years now :)

by the way, windows xp build 2600 sp2 :twisted: i had it about a month and a half before the official release :)

T-Bird 08-16-2004 07:53 PM

so you had the beta version that's been out for about 3 months. I want a real version and why is it that people are so cheap they can't just pay for XP it isn't that expensive. Or is it like $500 overseas?

DeMoN 08-16-2004 09:26 PM

SP2 is not part of windows update. At least for me, it doesnt appear as a dloadable file. All I got is SP1. Do I have to pay/dload somewhere else? Anyone provide link to SP2 plz?

T-Bird 08-16-2004 09:35 PM

according to Microsoft they will shortly be providing SP2 to Automatic Windows Update users very shortly the thing isn't available yet unless you are a company with multiple user licenses. It isn't listed as available to anyones else yet, I have heard that the versions people have already that haven't received through a company license have the wide spread Beta version that was released a few months back and is only 75% of the official release version with all the bugs worked out that some of the above have mentioned and others. They have been working on this for sometime now and You should have it in the next few weeks if you activate Automatic Windows Update.
(I've been researching this since I saw this topic.)

DeMoN 08-16-2004 10:17 PM

Yeah I do manual updates. Then surely this SP2 will appear shortly. Its supposed to be a great improvement from what I read in all the PC magz. Then again, all that info was based on what Microsoft promised, but lets see what it is they will deliver.