Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   American Cars (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   The real top speed champion (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17416)

FordGTGuy 10-15-2004 09:04 PM

The real top speed champion

The new Shelby cobra if its goes into production is promised to be capable of 265+ mph but on the other hand Veyron is to go 260+ what do you put your money on?

SFDMALEX 10-15-2004 09:23 PM

BUllshit info. 420kmh needs a good shit load of downforce to be anywere near controllable. Has to be a really wide car. SOmething like the 917.

There is no way that the new cobra is gonna go anywere near that speed. You need shit loads of BHP and a good aero body for some grip......I doubt it will have either.

aks 10-15-2004 09:28 PM

where did u get that info about the cobra!?!?

doesn't sound too likely to me....

jorge 10-15-2004 09:37 PM

I didn´t know that info, but IMO neither of those cars are going to do more than 260 mph. :|

FordGTGuy 10-15-2004 09:39 PM

I'm just running off site rumors.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/artma...icle_327.shtml

again here

http://www.supercars.net/cars/2004@$Ford@$Shelby%20Cobra%20Conceptx.html

and here again

http://www.stangnet.com/2005shelbycobraconcept/

Drivetrain
Layout Mid-front engine, rear transmission, rear-wheel-drive
Transmission
Type Ricardo 6-speed transaxle
Gear Ratios Theoretical top speed at redline
1st 2.60:1 64 mph
2nd 1.70:1 98 mph
3rd 1.23:1 135 mph
4th 0.95:1 175 mph
5th 0.76:1 219 mph
6th 0.63:1 267 mph
Reverse 3.14:1
Final Drive 3.36:1 limited slip

T-Bird 10-15-2004 09:42 PM

umm first off the car DOES NOT have a transaxle in it.
And gearing and aerodynamics are two very different things the car may be able to do it if you change the body. And when they were building the car on Rides it appeared to have the tranny on the engine not at the rear.

sameerrao 10-15-2004 09:44 PM

Well theoretical top speed based purely on gearing is not that reliable. First of all it is a roadster so cant be that aero efficient. The car is likely to hit an aerodynamic wall well before that... I mena it is not the first car to pack 500+ horsepower is it and how many other 267 mph cars do we know of in that category ?

We'll see when the car finally comes out...

DeMoN 10-15-2004 10:04 PM

I really dont think that is possible. ME 4 12 maybe?

RC45 10-15-2004 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sameerrao
Well theoretical top speed based purely on gearing is not that reliable. First of all it is a roadster so cant be that aero efficient. The car is likely to hit an aerodynamic wall well before that... I mena it is not the first car to pack 500+ horsepower is it and how many other 267 mph cars do we know of in that category ?

We'll see when the car finally comes out...

Yep - sounds like they may be about 600hp short to even consider running in that neighbourhood... ;)... ;)

JoeHahn 10-15-2004 11:04 PM

Quote:

Instruments include a 220-mph speedometer
220 mph with 605 bhp isnt unachievable but its pretty unbelievable. They also said it has a theoretical top speed of more than 260mph. I dont know where the hell they pull that bullshit because I dont think this car has a drag coefficient anything different to a normal car. This car could hit 260mph with 605 bhp if it was like the 1930's streamline cars but thats just rediculous

sentra_dude 10-15-2004 11:04 PM

Re: The real top speed champion

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordGTGuy
The new Shelby cobra if its goes into production is promised to be capable of 265+ mph but on the other hand Veyron is to go 260+ what do you put your money on?

Umm...and you thought this:

Quote:

Based on the engine’s 7,500-rpm redline and the drive ratios, this Ford Shelby Cobra concept has a theoretical top speed of more than 260 mph
meant "promised" topspeed? :roll: Its a convertible with 600hp dude...think a little bit...

nthfinity 10-16-2004 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bird
And gearing and aerodynamics are two very different things the car may be able to do it if you change the body. And when they were building the car on Rides it appeared to have the tranny on the engine not at the rear.

um... first of, the Concept DOES have a transaxle in it :roll:
also, if the Ford GT could max out 6th... i believe the ratios are quite similar.

and i dont believe this car could go hugely above 200mph if made a production car, based on aero.

DanielW 10-16-2004 11:05 AM

top speed based on gear ratios is pure BS. It doesn't consider the drag coeficient, or anything like that. 6th gear in my vette is so tall that it's should hit well into 200.

also the number on the speedometer doesn't mean shit. the speedo in my vette goes up to 200, and there's no way in hell I'm gonna hit tha speed with the stoc power.

T-Bird 10-16-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthfinity
Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Bird

um... first of, the Concept DOES have a transaxle in it :roll:
also, if the Ford GT could max out 6th... i believe the ratios are quite similar.

and i dont believe this car could go hugely above 200mph if made a production car, based on aero.

How does it have a transaxle? the engine is in the front and the drive wheels are in the back if the trans is in the back it is most likely a seperate unit from the axle in the rear much like on the Corvette where the Tranny and rear differential are sperate and bolted together. you see transaxles in AWD, FWD and Rear/mid engine cars rarely on front engine rear wheel drive cars.

FordGTGuy 10-16-2004 05:57 PM

sorry didn't mean to start an arguement just wanted to know everyones views.

In my oppinion theirs no way in hell. shit the GT-90 had 1200 hp v-12 and only reached 235 mph. :oops: