Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net

Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/index.php)
-   Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Transfer files to new laptop?? (http://www.motorworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54743)

ferrari550 02-21-2008 10:18 AM

Transfer files to new laptop??

I was wondering if anyone knew how to transfer files from my computer to a new laptop. I have about 50gigs or so i would like to have on it, mostly top gear videos. Is there an easy way to do this?

thanks in advance

styla21 02-21-2008 10:36 AM

I ended up transferring all my stuff recently on a 2gb USB flash stick.. And copy-pasting back and forward, many, many times. (*insert swearing here!) :banghead:

Day after said transferring, I discovered the joys of the external hard drive. The transferring process would have taken a fraction of the time if I had used this instead. Definately check out this possibility if you can! :-)

..Or just spend half your Sunday, as did I, with the humble USB flash stick doing it old-school:-P

Ghostbat 02-21-2008 10:47 AM

If you don't have LAN an external Hardrive would propably be the easisest way.

pilotvtm 02-21-2008 11:43 AM

You can Transfer:
1. Trough LAN
2. Trough Bluetooth
3. With DVD/RW's or with a stick
4. With an external HDD
5. You HDD from laptop is probably on SATA.You can put it on you PC and copy the movies.

ferrari550 02-21-2008 12:22 PM

Ok thanks for your input, I think the way out for me is getting a external harddrive. Very much appreciated

ae86_16v 02-21-2008 02:47 PM

What kind of laptop is it? Yeah if it is Windows then either do an external or burn DVDs.

If it is a Mac you can turn one of the Macs into a "Target Disk" mode machine and basically turn it into an external drive. That way you can drag and drop. But you need a Firewire cable though.

dutchmasterflex 02-21-2008 03:31 PM

50GB is a decent amount of data. Get a network hub, or better yet wireless router to get the most out of your laptop at home. Then look up creating shared folders for access between the computers.

It's always nice to have an external hard drive for back ups, but if you do not want to spend the money for another drive you can just get an external USB case for your old computer's hard drive, then connect that to your new laptop.

RC45 02-21-2008 03:44 PM

And next year this time all you will need to do is burn 1 double layer Blu-Ray disc ;)

If you cant wait till prices drop, Panasonic already has a $500 double layer BD burner

All Hail Sony! :)

gigdy 02-21-2008 11:21 PM

Ethernet Crossover cable just plug them into each other. On my laptop it automatically detects whether it needs a crossover or not so i could use a normal Ethernet cable. You may be able to too.

ferrari550 02-22-2008 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae86_16v (Post 818570)
What kind of laptop is it? Yeah if it is Windows then either do an external or burn DVDs.

It is a HP laptop, 250gig, 2gig ddr2 of ram, 15.4", intel core 2 duo. basic laptop, but compared to my old one it is light years ahead.

ferrari550 02-22-2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigdy (Post 818611)
Ethernet Crossover cable just plug them into each other. On my laptop it automatically detects whether it needs a crossover or not so i could use a normal Ethernet cable. You may be able to too.

I have never heard of this before. How exactly would i do this? i have a few ethernet cables lying around or do they have to be crossover cables?

gigdy 02-22-2008 10:26 PM

http://www.razertech.com/edge/hardwa.../crossover.htm

Go there for the network settings you will need. There is a chance you may not need a crossover cable, you can always try wont hurt anything. If you cant get it to work you can get crossovers at best buy or most local stores.

ferrari550 02-23-2008 12:03 PM

So i am guessing crossover cables are not the same as your regular ethernet cord? Also, i have a router, any way i can transfer the files over that?

gigdy 02-23-2008 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferrari550 (Post 818795)
So i am guessing crossover cables are not the same as your regular ethernet cord? Also, i have a router, any way i can transfer the files over that?

Well a router is probably the easiest way then. Hook them both up to it and make sure they are both part of the same workgroup and then share the drive on the laptop you want to copy everything to. Then view workgroup computers under my network places. there may be more to change but id give that a whirl first.

ferrari550 02-24-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gigdy (Post 818904)
Well a router is probably the easiest way then. Hook them both up to it and make sure they are both part of the same workgroup and then share the drive on the laptop you want to copy everything to. Then view workgroup computers under my network places. there may be more to change but id give that a whirl first.

Ok i agree with that. My router is downstairs and my desktop and laptop are upstairs next to each other. This may be asking a lot but, can you tell me how to hook them both up the the router and workgroup. I find it confusinf since my old pc is XP and my new one is VISTA?