View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 11:23 PM   #126
lakatu
Regular User

Originally Posted by st-anger
so i´ve driven a 3.2 and the only thing I found “annoying” was the shifting…
i drove a pre ´87 model with the “915” gearbox where the synchronisation rings are coated with a rough molybdenum coating resulting in kinda tricky shifting behaviour, after ´87 they changed from the early Porsche synchronisation to the one from Getrag with the Borg-Warner patent, the G50 or 950 box, already with 964 technics, like much lower shifting forces, bigger clutch activated hydraulically instead of a linkage. all this required a new pedal layout, a new rear axle for the longer G50 box…
all this increased handling as well…
St Anger you have mentioned the improved handling of the '87-89 911's compared to the pre '87 models before and I was wondering if you could elaborate on how the adaptation of the G50 transmission resulted in handling improvements.

I did a little research into this myself and found that the anti-roll bars and torsion bars were increased 1986-89 models relative to 1980-85 models. The 1980-85 anti-roll bars were increased from F 20 mm to F 22 mm and R 18 mm to R 21 mm. While the front torsion bars remained the same, the rear were increased from 24 mm to 25 mm.

Paul Frere in “Porsche 911 Story” indicates that the rear cross member carrying the rear suspension and the gearbox had to be changed but that the suspension pick-up points remained the same. Do you know if there were any other changes other than the ones I’ve listed that would have affected the handling of ’87 models verses pre ’87? Thanks.
lakatu is offline   Reply With Quote