View Single Post
Old 06-07-2004, 05:11 PM   #13
hemi_fan
Regular User

Originally Posted by Vansquish
My recommendation would be to try and find a later model Cobra with the independent rear suspension...it will handle in a much more mature fashion than any of the others, and there's a good chance you'll get your power down a bit more cleanly with that than with a live rear axle. All the same, if you're on a budget and you're looking to go as fast as you can for as little cash, maybe you ought to look into the 5L Mustang Cobras...they are highly modifiable and can put out quite a lot of power for relatively little cash. If you look you'll even find that the 5L was not limited to the Fox body Mustangs and that in fact it was offered during the first year or two of the more recent bodystyle's production run, i.e. 94/95. Even if you end up getting the 4.6, you'll sound like you're going a hell of a lot faster than the LS1-engined TA's and SS's. Good luck finding one man!
As far as 5.0 Cobras go... I wouldnt go for the Cobra model. They are not that much faster than the basic LX/GT and for the price difference, you could just add a few bolt-ons and be looking at a few extra hp if u got an LX rather than the Cobra. Also, cobras are only 93-95 for 5.0. You would be able to look all the way back to 1979 for a 5.0, although I'd stick with 1990+ because they have Mass-Air and are more easily modifyable than the Speed Density intakes. Also if you go the route of 5.0, and dont mind the styling, the last of the fox's have more HP than the 94-95 5.0Ls because there was a space issue under the hood of those 2 years and a different intake had to be used. I think they are also a bit heavier, so the fox 5.0's should be able to outrun them stock vs. stock. But none of these cars were on ur list, so this is probably just a waste of typing space. LoL

*FYI, a $5000 Fox Mustang + the $10,000 you would add to get the LS1 would get you a car that could easily outrun the LS1s and The cobras you mentioned, depending on where you spend it. $10,000 on engine and drivetrain alone will net you one holocaustic 5.0L.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote