View Single Post
Old 08-06-2004, 02:00 PM   #52
lakatu
Regular User

Oh my :shock: :shock: That has got to be one of the best post I have read . When I asked the question I had no idea that it would generate such a response. Thank you . I felt like I was sitting beside you the whole way and I truly failed to appreciate how difficult it is to drive on the NS at such speeds 8) .

Let me ask four follow up questions I had while reading the post.

“is it easy?” well, yes and no, i mean with the older Porsche models it´s quite easy to powerslide and to control it, again for a skilled driver!

1) By older models I am guessing that refers to pre-993 so obviously 964 & 965 but would you include the 3.2L and 930 3.3L in that category also or are they outrageously difficult to control in such situations? Certainly 993 and up are a different car as it relates to handling.

1991 911 Turbo, a very special car in the Turbo history, and one of the few REAL driver´s cars…

2) As you know I am a huge fan and so would agree with you here. I was wondering if you have had a chance to drive one? Could you possibly elaborate on why in your opinion the 965 was such a special car. I have visited other websites with 911 Turbo owners and a few have owned both 930s and 965s and they indicated that the 965 understeered and felt heavier and less nimble than the 930s. I think part of the experience they had with the understeer as a result of the special locking differential that the 965 used with 100% lock on over run. Anything you could add here would make my day .

most of the cars have ABS system

3) Based on the description you gave of the speed and terrain, it sounds like ABS is almost a must to drive fast on a bumpy surface like NS. However, Porsches have always been known for their excellent braking feel. How important would you say having ABS is to a good lap time on NS in a 911. Let me ask it a different way: How much time theoretically could be shaved off a mid 80s model 911 if it had ABS? Is this a big factor in Porsche’s improvement in 911 model lap times or not really?

Last question

IMO 8:09 sounds too fast, I think there´s a mix up with the 993 GT2 lap time…

4) On the lap time issue they also had a clip that proceeded the 911 Turbo of a 1990 NSX lapping in 8:16. I think that a 1991 965 should be faster than a 1990 NSX. I agree with you that is too fast. I find it both strange that the time is comparable to 993 TT & lower than a 964 RS at 8:28. I think the video segment was originally published in 1991 prior to the 993 GT2 but your right I looked up Sport Autos test of the 993 GT2 and it was 8:09.3. I also found a listing for Sport Auto driving a 965 with 365hp in 1992 with a time of 8:32.

Could the driver account for such a time difference? I personally don't think so. I am pretty sure that the track lengths were the same in the early 90s to today but sometimes people use different timing points. However, I would think that professional journalists would be aware of and use the same timing points. Any thoughts on a possible timing difference explanation?