View Single Post
Old 08-07-2004, 07:40 PM   #56
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Last question

IMO 8:09 sounds too fast, I think there´s a mix up with the 993 GT2 lap time…

4) On the lap time issue they also had a clip that proceeded the 911 Turbo of a 1990 NSX lapping in 8:16. I think that a 1991 965 should be faster than a 1990 NSX. I agree with you that is too fast. I find it both strange that the time is comparable to 993 TT & lower than a 964 RS at 8:28. I think the video segment was originally published in 1991 prior to the 993 GT2 but your right I looked up Sport Autos test of the 993 GT2 and it was 8:09.3. I also found a listing for Sport Auto driving a 965 with 365hp in 1992 with a time of 8:32.

Could the driver account for such a time difference? I personally don't think so. I am pretty sure that the track lengths were the same in the early 90s to today but sometimes people use different timing points. However, I would think that professional journalists would be aware of and use the same timing points. Any thoughts on a possible timing difference explanation?
yep, track length had been same like today, as far as timing points is concerned I only know two types of lap timing on NS, we can only take the so called “BtG” times, as u know we can´t race down the “Döttinger Höhe” completely because somewhere in the middle of it there´s “pit lane” of the tourist drivers the start/finish point and the famous “Green Hell” restaurant – oh boy what an blond waitress they have there :shock: -, so what´s BtG, that simply means “bridge to gantry”, the lap is clocked from the first bridge right after the start to the gantry at “Döttinger Höhe” some meters before exit… to a full lap, depending on the car one have to add 30+ seconds, but all the tourist drivers only compare their BtG times and do not add the time for the full lap, nobody can really say how much time it´ll take him to race down Döttinger Höhe completely…
mags like SA are allowed to clock the full lap off tourist driving…

NOTE: whenever you´re at NS plz DO NOT clock lap times, this is too dangerous either for you and all the others, i definitely don´t want to misguide members to clock lap times on NS !!!

but i don´t think that all this is the case with the 965 lap time…
when we talk about the driver, i´d say “yes” a good lap definitely depends on the driver, one should have at least 200 laps of experience to clock a good lap time, NS is different u know, so many corners, much of them blind, so after just some dozens of laps you don´t know nothing on NS …

and when we´re talking about lap times, personally i ONLY trust HvS & Jochen Übler from Sport Auto, NO ONE else from any other mags or tv shows! a close friend of mine knows HvS quite good and i mean everyone who´s quite often at NS knows him and so we have some good insight and it´s all very transparent, and i´ve to repeat it again, SA is the one and only mag for me and i don´t pay too much attention to times of other mags or TV shows, for us only the SA time counts…it´s quite interesting here in germany/austria i just have to look around, everyone tells you: ”well, wait for the SA Supertest…”

in the end, i don´t know how they came up with such a time, and as you know now…i don´t care that much

will try to answer the remaining questions asap...
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote