View Single Post
Old 08-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #58
st-anger
Regular User

Originally Posted by lakatu
Thanks st-anger for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. You know that I really appreciate it . Your right and I couldn’t agree more about SA and the Supertest. It defiantly is the best source for comparing historical NS times since HvS has done, as far as I know, all the tests. Are you aware of a website that lists more historical SA lap times other than http://www.track-challenge.com/main_e.asp which has only the more recent cars. I have come across a few SA times scattered in different places but I sometimes wonder about their correctness. So a lap time of greater than 8:32 sounds right to you for a 965? I guess I am just disappointed that the 965 can’t post a quicker lap time. That lap time is about as fast as a 993 and yet it has a better power to weight ratio and a firmer suspension. I guess it just shows you how much of an improvement the 993 was over the 964.

I wonder if lap times have increased at NS due to changes that have been made to the surface of the track. I have heard that to reduce accidents some of the jumps have been either decrease or eliminated. Do you have any idea when these major changes have been put in place or when the last change to the surface was?

Since we are talking about drivers what is your opinion of Stefan Roser? From what I have read he is a controversial driver. Most respected drivers I think have a low opinion of and his driving. Yet I have heard some say he has the talent to be one of the better drivers.

Certainly he drives for show and not set lap records . I was just wondering if your paths have crossed and what your opinion is on his driving skills.

For anyone interested here are some other NS lap time sites
http://www.nurburgring.de/?rubrik=rekorde&lang=eng
http://www.bmwdeler.no/
http://www.planet-walter.de/rekorde.htm
yep, i´ve a confirmed 8:33 for the 320hp 1991 Porsche Turbo, it´s a SA time…

pheeew…you can ask questions
well, there´ve been some, this is what I came up with:
in 1927 when NS was built, there were 88 left hand, and 84 right hand corners, after the big reworks in the 70s only 40 right hand and 33 left hand corners remained…
so, most important changes had been chnges to bends, crash barriers and definitely jumps, most important ones were jump at “Flugplatz” which remained but was eased, also eased were a jump right after the “Breitscheid” bridge, a very tricky jump in a left hand bend, a very spectacular jump had been the one at “Kesselchen” exit were the cars actually took off the road with all four wheels. probably the most challenging jump back then, the jump “into” the “Brünnchen”, for those of you who know the section “Fuchsröhre” nowadays, this is nothing against the “Brünnchen” back then, it was a flat straight, then all of a sudden a extremely steep downhill, and then a very steep uphill, so definitely no comparison to the section nowadays…
the drivers approached this section absolutely blind there were many accidents so they changed it. Some other “bad” jumps were removed at “Schwalbenschwanz” at first left hand corner, also one at “Galgenkopf”, also some works from “Bergwerk” to “Klostertal” at that time to improve safety, at famous “km13” the big jump hill was eased, here the cars approached at a very high speed to the jump and right in the jump the track made a slight left hand bend, the cars took off again with all wheels and sometimes landed just in fromt of the bushes to the very right, so extremely dangerous, again quite some accidents there and one of the spots for visitors and photographers…
in 1963 “Karussell” was reworked due to safety reasons, the “Hohenrain” section was added in ´67 which adds ~25m to the old track, in 1974 some changes at “Döttinger Höhe”, since then some minor works had been done to the surface, would be waaaaay to much to list everything here…
as far as I know last changes were done in winter 2003, again changes to the surface and new FIA safety fences…

…never met “Sideways Stefan” as we call him here, from what I know, he´s very very talented ( as you can see in his world famous vid ) not only with going sideways but he should also be a serious track driver, I think he´s been in the AMS test crew, but again, i´ve no detailed knowledge of him…
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote