View Single Post
Old 10-05-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
Wutputt
Regular User

Originally Posted by greg.little
Only downside (and I'm glad it is a company car) is reliability. A colleague has already had the main computer changed, another a replacement electric window motor, and I had to get the AA out because I couldn't get the boot to close. Upside is it is more reliable than the Laguna II.
Sounds familiar. We bought one almost right after they were introduced at the dealers. So ours is one of the first lot with the most reliability issues. We had two electrical malfunctions. One was the window that began living its own life. Without pushing the button it went down and again up for no reason whatsoever. The other issue is related to the OBD (on board diagnostic system) system. Euro4 cars have to have an OBD-system that indicates when you're car is polluting to much (problems with the catalyst or air/fuel mixture of the engine). For no reason the OBD-system indicated the car was polluting to much.

Luckily both issues were properly solved by the dealership, and the car hasn’t had any problems since. But that's not really the way it should be, the car shouldn't have any problems. But today's cars, certainly European ones with multiplex wiring, have quite a lot of electrical reliability issues. People I know had an odd problem with their new Merc E class; for no reason the engine switched to emergency mode and after a while it dropped even dead. They had a lot of trouble solving the problem at the dealership, but the car runs fine now.
Wutputt is offline   Reply With Quote