Thread: GTR Review
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #3
topgeartom
Regular User

You know, ive had the game a little while now, and for all the rave reviews in the press, i just didnt find it that exciting.

It uses the exact same platform as many other games. I know for a fact (as ive played them all) that it is almost identical to EA's F1 career which has a huge modifcation following, so there are hundreds of add-ons to turn the game into a GT series, a BTCC, or classic f1 simulator (to name just a few) rFactor uses the same platform, and in my opinion is much more playable and even more realistic than GTR - one of my very favourite games, and its still only in the very early stages of development.

Think of it as a case of the old ford galaxy - VW Sharan and seat alhambra - all exactly the same car just with extremely minor alterations and different packaging. But when it came down to it - they all looked the same. Or for a more recent example, the peugot 107 v Toyota Aygo v Citroen C1 All the same car with different wrappers.

I dont understand why GTR is being hailed as such a fantastic game, its just a clone of an already used platform. Its so obvious to see once you have played the others. All the menus are virtually identical in their function, the generic controller setups are identical, with identical operation. Thye ganmeplay is also very similar, the same pre-set camera views - even with the same buttons to change them. The cars all handle the same, with only minor differences, althoguh i would say that rFactor is easily the better in all departments. the graphics are sharper, the handling is spot on, and the sound is miles, miles better.

I just dont understand the rave reviews. I installed GTR, and then found myself (after about 15 minutes,) quitting the game and starting rFactor!