View Single Post
Old 04-26-2005, 11:48 PM   #137
HoboPie
Regular User

Originally Posted by J-San
Originally Posted by HoboPie
I'd just like to make a comment on the Gan/CGT issue.

When Best Motoring is actually racing the cars they are fairly flamboyant it often seems the Japanese cars are a little too quick.(Stock r34 was keeping with with a 996 turbo and pulling away from a 360?).

However in either the Japanese or International version of that video the whole point of the video was European cars and they stated quite simply that the Japanese cars still had a ways to go before matching the mid level super sports cars(GT3, CS, CSL, Gallardo).

Gan-san is a very accomplished driver(was offered an F1 test). I can't be sure of his overall skill at his current age, but you don't get to the level he did without knowing how to handle a car sufficiently well to give it a review. He still seems to be the best driver of the current BM team and they all are quite accomplished themselves. His only real rival was Tsuchiya who is definitely a skilled driver(Mclaren F1 and NSX at Lemans).

Anyway I'm not sure if it was a crappy test car(his hadn't arrived at the time of the video) or what, but I don't think his comments came from patriotism or lack of skill. Considering he bought the car I doubt very much he would make stuff up.

Hopefully we will see some CGT in BM in the near future because his should have arrived in late 2004.
I fully agree with you, with two minor comments: that R34 Skyline that was keeping up with the Porsche because it had semi-slick tires. Other is that Nakaya is at least as skillfull as both Gan-San and Tsuchiya, and we can't forget Gan-San's son, Takuya Kurosawa (former F3000 champion and still holds the record of the Fuji circuit) and Naoki Hattori (Formula Nippon Champion), both of them very accomplished and skilled drivers.
Naoki and Takuya are certainly very skillful, but in most of the tests that I've seen(many more of the older ones where it was always an nsx/r34/rx7 of some kind) they weren't the featured drivers, but I guess that has something to do with the cars they were put in. Nakaya I somehow completely forgot about, he is awesome.

I didn't realize the r34 was on slicks, but why would they do that? I understand it makes sense to provide a cool race, but the feature that came up next was the lightly modded r34 that while track setup wasn't much more competitive than the stock r34.