View Single Post
Old 10-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
lakatu
Regular User

Hi there StanAE86.

My understanding is that all of the issues involved in the 964 were resolved by 1993. Check out this thread both my comments and others concerning these issues for more information. http://www.motorworld.net/forum/show...=146602#146602

In some ways I understand your preference for a 964 I really like the look of the classic 911 myself. However, having said that it is my opinion that it still might be worth looking into a 993 instead for several reasons. First, they are the last aircooled 911 and considered by most as the best looking 911 of all time. While this is subjective it will affect the resale value of both the 964 and the 993. The 964 is rather distained by the Porsche community. So keep that in mind. You will frequently find 3.2L 911's that sell for more that their 964 brethren. Secondly, the 993 was a huge leap forward in performance especially in handling. Finally while the 964 RS is rare it really isn't that different from the standard 964 and I believe that there really isn't much in the way of a performance increase. Based on this I would guess that you would see much in the way of higher prices at resale as it has less amenities and really no performance increase…not really a strong selling point.

If you are still set on it I would also consider having the car looked over by a Porsche dealer mechanic instead of your personal mechanic as they are more familiar with problems and signs of impending problems from that particular model.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes.