Thread: BMW E36 M3
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #25
ZfrkS62
Regular User

it looks pretty ordinary
Sleepers are half the fun though especially in the sedan trim

It just has too much of a fan boy base
What high powered sports car doesn't? especially in the attainable segment. I dont see how you can call a car uncool because of the late fanbase it attaracts.

For that matter, how can you detract points by comparing it to it's descendant? You can't retro engineer something to be greater to it's successor. That would be like saying the F40 was uncool because it can't hang with the Enzo.

and have become quite dated
That's the funny thing about time though. Everything starts looking dated. The only way to make something not look dated over time, would be to constatnly change it's look. Just not possible.

With regards to its drive, many have had said it is more direct, more communicative than the E46 and only behind the E30. In my opinion, the E46 feels a bit damp.
Yes, the E46 was overdampend and underspung. The steering is alot heavier in the E36, but imo has better feel. It's easier to catch when stepping out, but the shifts are tighter on the E46 which i like alot. The feel is just alot sportier. But yet again, that's age talking. the shift bushings on most E36's are worn giving it a sloppy feel.

But to say that the E36 is underpowered? Remember, the mid 90's were hardly the power wars, so 240 (US) was alot considering alot of companies were still recovering from the scramble of conforming to ODB emissions compliancy which ended up choking cars and destroying their potential power (late 80's Camaros with 305ci V8's weren't even making 200hp). IIRC, even the C4 Corvettes were putting down fairly low numbers with exception of the GrandSport ZR1 engine which was devloped with Lotus and put out by Mercury Marine. So really, the E36 M3 was a breath of fresh air into a choking market segment. The E30 M3 though really didn't have it's legendary status then, so at the time, the idea of the M3 getting an inline 6 over a 4 was as incredible as the E60 M5 getting a V10 over it's predecessor's V8.

now the E46 retaining the inline 6 but achieving the 100hp/L mark, natually aspirated mind you, was the next huge landmark, especially considering that it's capable of running with a car that as another 1.8L and 2 cylinders (E39 M5). But again, i don't see how you can fault the E36 for falling short of a car that was on the drawing board while it was on the production line.

Now that i am done rambling on, i voted cool.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote