View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 09:00 PM   #15
jaybv6
Regular User

gis - strange really as before I started playing with the engine it was pushing 175bhp as standard 8) . That's 7bhp up on the book figure (168bhp). One thing I noticed is that my engine seems alot stronger than any other V6 I have seen.

To start with I remove the complete inlet tract including the throttle body, Traction control motor and inlet manifold. I completely removed all traces of dirt, oil and carbon deposits and polished the surfaces up. I then removed the OE induction system. I made my own cold air induction kit by doing the following
1 - turning the towing cover into an air vent
2 - fitting a K&N 57i induction kit
3 - shielded the K&N from the hot air by housing it inside a Maxwell House Coffee tin and wrapping it in carbon fibre.
4 - fitting a cold air feed from the towing eye vent to the K&N

This is the towing eye vent I made

I also give the car regular 3k oil, oil filter, plugs and fuel filter change as well as cleaning up of the throttle body, Traction control motor and inlet manifold.

To benefit any work done I reset the ECU and force it into adaptive learning mode. I then drive the car as normal (i.e. like a nutter) and the ECU learns to slightly over fuel the car. It runs on Super Unleaded with octane boosters when necessary.

It seems a bit unreal that the car has run 194 bhp with very little work but I have had it tested on 3 seperate rolling roads and compared results and they all match up. I have got higher bhp results than another Calibra V6 running K&N induction, exhaust and Uni-chip on the same rolling road, same day. Bizarre but true .