View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
sameerrao
Regular User

New Lens today:

OK I bought a lens today after a sleepless night of deciding what to buy and reviewing a couple sites for suitable lenses.

I went to the store and tried out the Sigma 70-200 F2.8 and Nikon 80-200 F2.8. The Nikon 70-200 F2.8 was way beyond my budget.

So after playing around the Sigma and the Nikon for a few minutes and changing my mind 10 times along the way, I picked the Sigma - it was about $200 cheaper and had a slightly faster autofocus. I am sure the Nikon lens may be a tad ahead on quality but I should be OK with the Sigma - read great reviews on it.

I guess I will use this for medium range shots and will later buy a Sigma 50-500 for the long range shots.

The 70-200 is a big bugger but not as heavy as I expected - a monopod/tripod is not that essential. Good exercise for me also.

Until the next purchase ... Adios

Here are three pics:

1. Flower from about 10 feet away with the lens set at 200mm and shutter at 1/1000 - nice picture isolation (bokeh?)

2. Top of the tree about 30 feet up with the lens shooting virtually straight up - the camera/lens combo was not shaking too much though I had to jam my left elbow into my body to steady it a bit

3. My backyard

I was looking for a bird or something to check the autofocus on but couldnt find any - they must be publicity shy ... aargh
4. A pic from the photo store - a dummy about 30 feet away

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote