View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
coombsie66
Regular User

Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by Phobo
Originally Posted by mrmojo77
Originally Posted by Phobo
What I´ve heard yesterday is that you can change the 40/60 power electricly - but that is only used for maintaining so they might have done that.
I didn't quite understand what you meant?

The properties of Torsen differential depend on the gear angles and transmission ratio. The locking value Audi might use is somewhere about 1:3,5. This means that the power transferred by the wheels with better grip is 3,5 times the power transferred by the wheels with less grip. In extreme case when the other axel is spinning freely and therefore can't transfer any power to the road, the other axel with better grip is transferring 3,5 times the 0 and it eguals 0.

We have Audi owners here. Why not test the theory?
I mean normally the audi has a power ratio of 60% and the rear wheel and 40% at the front. What Ive heard now from some audi owners is that you can change that to 100% to the back this might has been done with that quattro.
It is possible maybe with A3 and TT, because they have Haldex center differential that is electronically controlled. Torsen is fully mechanical and it can't be controller electronically
Ah thank god, someone who knows what they are talking about!

Quite correct, its like the Quaife ATB torque biasing differentials, everythings fine untill you get absolutely no resistance on one output of the differential (like having the rear wheels on some rollers like this) then the diff will spin freely, and the only way you'll transmit torque is with a viscous plate or otherwise locking diff (like the electronic controller, which i presume the BMW has as it spins freely at first, then the electronics detect and lock the centre diff)
The only way you could recreate it on the road would be having the rear wheels in the air!!!
The problem hence is not an issue for the centre differential, because you never get this situation, whereas if it was a differntial on the front or rear axel it will act just like an open diff if you get the inside wheel totally unweighted. (had this trouble with a quaife ATB in our formula student car).

So to sum it up, a completely worthless test performed by dimwitts who know nothing.