View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
tforth
Regular User

Have you ever been in and or around an RS setup Porsche? For that matter have you ever been in and around a plain-jane GT3?
Yes I have, although not a 997 GT3/RS, as I actually did a work term in Weissach, and as such managed to get on the track on numerous occasions, with several different 911s.

You have an obvious bias
Are you the pot here, or the kettle?

Oh - and before you get all hot and sweaty about me being a Porsche hater
No, you have made it abundantly clear that you are, among other things, a Veyron hater. I guess you can draw more of a crowd with this moniker, as it seems that there are many in this camp. I can only assume you don't speak out against Porsches, because they have a very large fan base among 'true' car enthusiasts. I do find it kind of strange that you claim to like both vettes and Porsches though, as they are at pretty much opposite end of the spectrum in most regards.

What exactly is your point?

GM sells every Corvette they produce... The same way Porsche sell all the 911 they produce.
Interesting this, as just a couple of weeks ago I saw an add in the Globe and Mail for a Chevy dealer just outside Toronto (Colonial @888-286-0914), where they had advertised (among other 'old' new vettes) a 'new' 2005 Z06 Black/Black for 'must sell' CDN$89 000, with a MSRP of CDN 102 000. I can't remember seeing any potentially 2 year old (new) 911s listed in the paper. Furthermore, my point is not whether GM has difficulties moving Z06s or not, which they appear to, now that you mention this, but rather that it (as is the case with the Ford GT, Viper, NSX, etc., etc.) is a loss leader for them. So, when people keep going on about how cheap the Z06 is, they are not considering how much GM is subsidizing the car, just like VW has done with the Veyron (there, I have just provided some amo for you).

On the other hand, Wendelin Wiedeking, has made it quite clear from the outset, that all Porsche models will only be commissioned, if they can make a profit on their own (this even included the CGT).

Just give credit where credit is due for God's sake and move on.
The 'credit' that you refer to is that 'Auto Zeitung', which has to be one of the cheesiest German magazines (I know, because I have been reading ams since 1986, as well as sport auto over the past 10 years or so) quoted similar times for both cars. For me the only credible and somewhat telling info listed in the article, is that even with a racing driver at the helm, the Z06 was simply a 'point and shoot' car. In other words it was very fast down the straights (what an accomplishment with a 7.0L vs. a 3.6L engine in similar weight vehicles), and very slow and edgy through the corners. Even with track rubber, I can only assume that this contrast would only be reduced and not changed in its favour.

Considering this fact, isn't it funny how you accused the Veyron of being this kind of vehicle, eh?
tforth is offline   Reply With Quote