View Single Post
Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 AM   #14
rave426
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45 View Post
Please show the math that allows you to come up with that conclusion (not "you" personally, but "them" )

From what RPM to what RPM is the calculaiton being done?

It appears the LS7 produces as much torque from 1000rpm as the M3 peaks at, and then never gets lower, so I ahve struggling to see how even with an extra 1400rpm there is that much more area aunder the curve... but I am off to do the math hehe

[edit] Based roughly on the trapezoid rule it is true that there is more area under the M3's torque curve... 2,163,350 units vs 1,788,750 units... or 17% more "torque under the curve" - but in this case it is a pointless of a number as hp/l

[re-edit] Looks like I had a HUGE error in my math The answer bothered me, so I redid it.. and now I get that the area under the Z06 curve is actually 2,666,300 units... or 19% more "torque under the curve"... Do you have the actual number/value being claimed - maybe I am calculating the incorrect thing.

Just for shits and giggles I overlaid my curve - 3,195,114 unit under the curve (if this is even a real number hehe)

p.s. Lest anyone think I am "slagging" on the V8 M3, I am not - I am just trying to understand this new "measure of performance" - integrated area of time spent in 1st gear vs the torqe - I think I prefered countering the HP/L claims
LOL. Its not a new measure of performance. Its just a caclulation one of the guys I know performed. I never did it myself. I could, but I guess I never felt the need to. Actually running around today at work, thinking........The only way this may be true is if the guy calculated area from the point of where torque is initially developed and scaled lineraly in the horizontal direction and made and end point verticaly aligned to the point where torque ended.

Sh*T..........I REALLY dont feel like doing integration. I'll have to see this for myself now.

Last edited by rave426; 02-23-2008 at 04:01 PM.
rave426 is offline   Reply With Quote