View Single Post
Old 07-10-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
Evo8
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity View Post
Every engine is a tuned engine then. This engine is bespoke and purpose built, and mass produced. Find me a tuner that does that.
Ralliart.

What is more interesting is that the ZR1 is a drivers car, where the driver is responsible for what the car does, not a series of processors with 10,000's of lines of code to allow the car or disallow the car to do what the driver want's the car to do.
You can look at it two ways. In one way, it means what you imply. In the other, it means ZR1 is only fast thanks to its driver being a professional racer, and the GTR is fast even when you or me drive it.

was done in higher levels of heat then what Nissan did, wasn't using racing fuel, wasn't using hand-cut slicks, or semi-slicks even... or different engine tune to stock.
Any links to the info? Referring to the 7:29 lap, not the old 7:38 one.

Is that why Top Fuel cars are all high displacement supercharged OHV engines, and none are boosted straight 6's, 4's, 10's, 12's ......?
Top fuel cars need thousands of hp. 6000, 7000, 8000. They are crap, crap in every single aspect, except for power. They're primitive because raw power is all that matters.

And they're still slow. My 338 does quarter mile in less than a second. See a dragster match that.

Boosting + higher displacement yields more reliable power How many 4 and 6 cylinders have you heard about being rebuilt when running over 20 psi ??
The 1000-1200hp Skylines are reliable. It's just that they were built by smart people who know how to push the engine just to the limit, without breaking it.

Tuning you describe is solely what are known as "dyno queens"
True. So are all American Muscle Cars - all about power and torque. And even Corvette heavily depends on its horsepower.
Although it's different... Unlike the 1960s muscles, it's not a looker.

A truly fast car is one that goes fast even with little power.

Last edited by Evo8; 07-10-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Evo8 is offline   Reply With Quote