Thread: KERS Discussion
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 PM   #4
HeilSvenska
Regular User

It's pointless. If they really wanted to give cars "power to pass", they'd just lower the power restrictions that nearly all race cars are stifled with.

I agree with nth and RC. It's all politics. Pathetic attempt to imbue racing series' with insubstantial "green" image, which has no place in any racing series, really.

"1) Passing in the race"
Lowering power restrictions AKA airflow restrictors do the same.

"2) Fuel mileage in the race"
I found that fewer pit stops make a race more uninteresting.

"3) Team strategy in the race"
Can do without KERS. Last thing a team needs is a crew member being shocked for no reason other than that he touched the car.

"4) Affect on qualifying"
"Boost" system during qualifying is extremely gimmicky.

"5) Energy recovery, storage, and delivery systems, advantages and disadvantages."
Racing cars used to be simple. Engine + driver + and things that make it turn. It adds another unnecessary element for the sake of shallow image campaign. "Look! We're hip! We're with the times! Our other cars would be Priuses!" Racing's fine without extraneous technology. Advancements in safety, I can appreciate, but not this.

"6) Effect upon the commercial automobile industry"
None. Certain racing series don't have any significant impact in the industry. One is F1. Sure, we get F1 themed Ferraris, but when was the last time you saw a hatchback with 7 speed sequential and an engine that revs to 20,000rpm?

Last edited by HeilSvenska; 09-15-2008 at 09:09 PM.
HeilSvenska is offline   Reply With Quote