View Single Post
Old 05-19-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
nthfinity
Regular User

Man, order 66 was where it really began....from there it was , no words can describe it.
just before that, i think... the second sam jackson bit the dust...

anyway, for my review: some spoilers

the movie opened with the least descriptive paragraphs ever... but gave enough validation for the ensuing space battle over the Galactic center, Couruscant. the shots were simply fantastic, and amazing... many that could have never been attempted even before this film as far as depth of how real it felt initially. what it needed, however, was an epic feeling of the battle... of its deceptive nature of the battles' creator, and its urgence for success as the republic's only hope for survival. i felt none of this was achieved through its stunning visuals. In yesteryear, it was just fine to film one pilot, while talking via a com-link to the other pilots... way too much time was spent cutting from one head shot in one fighter to another... i would rather have seen the emotions on their face as decisions were made. for example, Anikan has developed his loyalty to his friends above all else... where he offered to help the clone pilots, here/now opposed to relying on competing the mission of saving his other friend, Palpatine. the delemas are what makes, and drives the character throughout the film

Anikan and Padme... character plot
Dialogue seems to be much improved, but still over-acted. sometimes the order of what was said in trading dialogue between the two actors seems backwards in its order, and sometimes 'forced' It is still quite apparent that Hayden is a soap star first, and foremost... and the editing of many of the continued love story only helps that past experience; unfortunately.

thankfully, a lot of it does work, and works well to spell out the delema of the main characters. Obi-wan seems hard pressed to choose between his best friend, and the council... and the balance between the two that he feels is right. Anikan is forced to choose between his best friends, Obi-wan, and Palpatine; while continuously he battles himself for the murder he commited. his loyalty is the virtue that nearly saves him. Padme is left to choose between the trust and loyalty in her husband, and saving the failing democracy from the powers given to the chancellor (of which we know very little about the backwater events... why did anikan sence obi-wan at Padme's appartment... and furthermore, why did padme have obi-wan over. too many questions lie here regarding thier motives. Palpatines choices werent really as high stakes as the others, but rather; when to make his move... how to influence one who always was able to make the right choice as he was able to interpret. his faith was in his brilliant manipulation.

the Jedi, lead by Mace, and Yoda make for the wisdom of the jedi in Anikan's view; which he has seems to often disagree with. it is the compassion that Anikan so desprately seeks as he dives further into the confusion that is his mind. as the young jedi knight does the right thing... and turns in Palpatine as the dark lord of the Sith to the remaining jedi masters. it is this compassion he felt he lacked when dealing with duku that he knew was wrong... he wanted to see that a jedi couldn't do the same thing.

this was the brilliant turning point! the movie grew dark by the second... not a single piece of dialoge through the remainder of the film that was forced, or badly acted (although some pointless moans/grunts of the emporer really sounded dumb) was heard... George still has it in him.
and, as expected... the lightsaber battles were superb,and likley the best ever... although, IMO it is hard to compete agaisnt obi-wan/qui-gon vs. Darth Maul.
the push down the dark path had quite a few tear-jerking moments to me.

All in all, this was definately the best of the new trilogy by far! i recomend everybody see it, and see it with a friend . and, as much as i am a critic of some poor cutting of various scenes, and ill prepared acting; a lot is explained... while still much is left to the expanded univers (why did yoda goto degohba? well, obviously because of his extreme sensetivity to the force, a life filled planet is screaming of the force, and would mask his presence, and allow him to meditate with great effect with such harmony) the training of obi-wan via Yoda is left as only a prospect yet to come... but still questions lie. in this dark time of the birth of the Empire; i feel the expanded universe will set things in pace leading moreso then before into the original trilogy.
end of spoilers

go enjoy the film, dammit 8)
may the force be with you... as it was with them (me taking pictures)

http://rapidshare.de/files/1851085/ep3_fun.rar.html
some fun of people hitting (and hurting) eachoter with fake lightsabers