View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 AM   #20
peruccy
Regular User

Next on the list were the vacuum lines around the intake manifold. Since we installed an intake manifold from a 3.0 24V, which has a completely different vacuum line plumbing and mounting holes on the valve cover, we used what pipes/lines there were lying around, so the car was drivable. Now I have decided, it's time to install these lines properly...

New vacuum line

Replacing the old vacuum line

Some more vacuum lines

Replacing this piece of spaghetti of lines (we had to botch something together, to make the car drive, this is what came out)

And installed

Then I got a special tape as used by the factory for wiring harnesses

Some more connectors for the engine sensors

I have also decided to use a 3Bar MAP sensor, so I could squeeze a bit more boost out if the engine. Since this car has no MAP sensor so to speak - with a nipple for reading manifold pressure directly from the intake. Instead, it only uses an old school altitude sensor which has a set value for every altitude and then it translates this into manifold pressure for the ECU. Anyways, this "technology" goes back to the 80's when Audi Quattro's used it for the first time...

Replacing that thing above, with a new 3bar MAP sensor. Now at least, my ECU will have proper manifold pressure readings, not just approximate set values

I've also got a special oil for the engine. Mobil 1 10W60 full synt. It's not cheap, by I know it's one of the best 10W60 oil's out there...

External 300lph fuel pump with cradle

Some more exhaust parts

Now we had all the parts, to make a custom 3" downpipe

This heat shield for the A/C compressor was in the way, so we removed it

We've removed this lot
And installed this lot

Everything installed, together with a brand new front O2 sensor and a wideband O2 sensor

We've also installed a bigger turbo of course! I had this unit on my previous AR145 V6TB, which had only done 5000km. The turbo was rebuilt completely before it went in the AR145, so it would have been a shame not to use it on this car. The turbo in question is a Mitsubishi TD05 Big16G (68mm compressor), where as the stock turbo is a tiny TD05-12B (58mm compressor). I know your DSM owners love that B16G turbo

On this turbo, we've also added a Forge Sierra Cosworth T3 wastegate actuator, which can hold 2bar of boost with ease (I've been running that much boost with this turbo before)

MAP sensor installed

Replaced connectors on all the sensors

And a bit of tidying up the cables

The engine was in this state after all that work

To be continued...
'talla
peruccy is offline   Reply With Quote