Thread: 993 VS. M3
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2005, 02:14 AM   #36
inso
Regular User

993 is my the least favourite 911. 964, 996, yes very nice and also 997, but the 993 looks like a toy. People tend to think that M3 is just one too expensive 330ci, i know 3 330CI owners, and all of em wish their cars were M3s(all have driven them). E46 M3 vs E90 335 will be different story, as 335 might have turboed 3liter engine and also 4x4, direct competition for RS4 until new M3 comes along. E36 was not slow neither, only in america, remember Europe got 286hp and it was upped to 321hp. That makes a lot better power to weight ratio, than with 240hp(i think later bmw shipped overseas also the faster cars). Mk1 M3s are also more than their speed, it is my favourite of M3s, not as much speed, but there is more soul.

I have driven M3 SMG2 Kelleners quite long distances, transmission doubles as an auto, as you might have noticed when Tiff was testing the new M5 in Fifth Gear tv program. And no problems with transmission or diff. 330ci owners and 330d owners have plenty of problems with diffs, because tcs does some braking to get traction while accelerating. And engine is not bad, it is more like dealer issue, if they dont do the recall that is ordered from the factory, they suck, not the car.

Donīt get me wrong, I have always loved 911s, and probably will be buying one some day. But it is not because it is a better car than M3, but because it is after all one of the biggest and oldest legends there is in the automotive industry. If you in the market for M3 or 911, you know which ever you choose, you canīt go wrong
inso is offline   Reply With Quote