View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 01:02 PM   #39
RC45
Regular User

Originally Posted by ellen feiss
The VGA & component cables of the current 360 can already do 1080p. Adding HDMI isnt much of an incentive to get another 360 but the smaller/cooler chip is a good incentive if noise, heat and power consumption are consideration. HDMI's useful if you want less cable clutter to a single wire, want a purely digital signal and if HDCP is already required.

Based on this article the PS3 doesnt have a built-in hardware scaler making em suck on HDTVs without hardware scalers.
Read the article -

For the 360 that means the VGA cable, which is currently the only way the system can output 1080p;
I have already validated this with my XBox360.

The few people who claim the XBox360 can do 1080p via componant cable must have one of the few, and rapidly going out of fashion Westinghouse HDTV's that support 1080p via componant.

Almost to a T new HDTV's restrict the componant input to 1080i to meet copy proteciton legal specs.

Reserving 1080p for the HDMI cable.

I am returning some hardware today that is a componant -> DVI conneciton, and no-go with 1080p.

This does leave the XBox360 to be connected via the PC connection, which is a disadvantage - because on larger screens the refresh rate has the display a few inhes smaller than the LCD itself, which leaves a black border around the edge of the image - not great to have you game display potentially burn in your display.

I am also a little skeptical about the technical content of that article and will reply a little later after some testing. If a display can accept an input, it will display it at its native resolution - period.

What the image looks like will always be a result of the quality of the scaling solution... the fact is a $500 game console will never include scaler hardware that is any better than a TV - as the huge expense of modern TV's is reflected in part in these complex components.

In other words - you get what you pay for.

I forgot to add... there are few 1080p XBox titles, and HD-DVD is 1080i max res - not 1080p... So the premice of that article is all based on the superior upscaling that the Sony TV did for Microsoft.. not the other way round
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote