View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #4
st-anger
Regular User

…nope, Michelin´s semi slick is called Pilot Sport Cup, e.g. on the ///M CSL, the PS N2 is the standard tyre for the std. Porsche models, “N2” is just the Porsche specification code, Michelin´s manufacturing this tyre for PAG only, just like the “N0” for the CGT…

well, here we have to differ between absolute and relative boost pressure, i´m talking about relative pressure – the pressure to the normal atmospheric pressure, so 1.3bar, sure there are cars like GT2 which run at 2.0+ pressure but this is absolute pressure then…
a normal TT´s running at ~0.85bar, a GT2 ~ 1.0 bar – nevertheless, see pic down there, shows a ~560hp TT running at “only” 1.1bar at full speed:

http://www.is-mad.com/upload/[email protected]

…basically u´re right, “just” increasing the boost is an easy way to increase power – but this is not the very best way, here in Europe it´s very popular to tune TDI´s, so diesel cars, with a re-mapped ECU, increasing boost ~0.3 – 0.5 bar, more fuel and re-mapped fuel ignition times, but this is the worst thing one can do – such tuning won´t last very long without an efficient cooling system, so bigger intercooler and reworked air supply is a definite MUST DO then, most, better said nearly ALL tuner won´t mention that – unfortunately…
note that any boost pressure increase is extremely stressful for the engine, the turbo itself is spinning with higher revvs – due to the higher pressure ratio between turbo inlet gate and outlet gate the turbo has to spin twice the speed than with normal boost pressure - also it´s important not to have a depression inside the air box, most cars have some mbars depression, here it´s good to replace airflow parts to bigger one´s so that more air can flow, the intercooler temp is higher – again, note that ~10°C lower intercooler temp is replacing ~50-60mbar boost pressure -, combustion temp. and pressure as well as exhaust temps are increasing to critical levels resulting in a higher strain for engine, turbo, exhaust system and especially cylinder-head gasket.

well, it´s getting complicated now I think… :roll:

serious tuners like TechArt definitely install a proper cooling system but again, they´re also after keeping boost pressures low, there´re some ways to gain power with turbo engines without increasing the boost too much, like bigger ports and valve opening times and travel.
well, in the end this is a EXTREMLY complex topic and I have to admit that i´m not familiar with all the details i´m afraid…

Originally Posted by lakatu
Nice video st-anger thanks for sharing that. Those are some incredible times even on inferior tires. So is the “Pilot Sport with N2” a semi racing slick type tire?

St-anger, the Tech Art runs boost at 1.3 bar and when I looked back to the PC “Model section” it indicates that the Porsche based 911 runs 1.65 bar at maximum power. It was my understanding that they way most tuners increased their power output above that of Porsche’s is by running higher boost with modifications that allow the running of higher boost pressures. In the Tech Art case how are they able to run lower boost pressures and still increase the horsepower by 200 bhp ?
Porsche 911
st-anger is offline   Reply With Quote