View Single Post
Old 11-07-2004, 12:01 AM   #6
DJF1
Regular User

I kind of feel guilty for replying but since the post is still open I will give the crazyjay his answer.

First of all, the 993 been the last aircooled and all so its popular , they dont make them anymore, so the values are holding well.
I own 2 of them. One has 44000 miles and the other one before I swapped for a 3.8 L engine had 83000. The 83000 mile one happens to be my race car so you can imagine the type of miles it racked on
At a race in Putnam , I run the car with a friend of mine on back to back races and sessions. We are talking about at least 5 racing hours per day for 3 days. The 83000 mile engine consumed a tiny bit of the Mobil 1 and kept on running like a champ. I went through 2 sets of Pagid racing pads, a set of brake disks, a set of Michellin Pilot Sport Cups just to give you an idea of what type of wear we are talking about...
In short the 993 engines are bulletproof and a high mile car should not be a worry for anyone. I know of a 993 with 250000 miles and the engine is still original and never rebuilt.
When you find the car you like make sure you get a PPI , a leakdown and compression test and insure that it has full records. You should see OIL change records and OIL is the engine lifeblood.
Like I said in general the 993's are bulletproof but like anycar have wear and tear. Between 70-100K there have been noted to have to change the clutch ( about 2K), brake disks ( which are cheap) , engine seals ( cheap) . spark plugs, belts etc. You should also check the half shafts and the front tie rods. The upside of having a high miles car is that most likely the expensive wear and tear items like the clutch have already been done. In either case you should budget a good 4-5K to bring the car if necessary to absolute perfect health. A couple of nagging issues:
1. There was a recall on the wiring harness from Porsche. Make SURE that this has been changed to the new type. You can veify that by the harness number at a dealer. If not the recall is still open , make sure you do change it!!!
2. On US 96-98 993's due to the emissions regs the OBDII puts out a check engine light due to the secondary airbypass tubes been carbon clogged. Its a nagging thing more than a problem really. If you buy a 1995 it does not have that nagging problem. As a matter of fact I truly believe that a 95 is a much better value because it can be had cheaper and the performance difference in negligable. Further more a 95 can be chipped much easier and much cheaper than a 96 on as the 95 has the older OBDI ECU.
Go buy the one you like and drive it like you stole it! They love been driven hard!!!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote