View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #49
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by SnakeBitten
Originally Posted by 666fast
Seriously though, I really wish there was real competition for the Vettes it would make the class a bit more exiting.
Ahem, Aston Martin is real competition! They may have had some problems, but they are a serious threat to the Vette team. Not all races are 24 hours. The Astons ARE faster.
Had the ACO not pulled thier usual nonsense, they Saleen might have been there. The new engine package with it's new tires, the Saleen is much quicker.
When some one beats the Vette team consistantly[read more than once] then I consider that competition...Who cares if the Aston or Saleen is faster..Remember this is an endurance race not a drag race..None of them are there at the end to challenge the Vettes....We all know on paper they are capable of competing with the Vette but it take more than speed to win these races....The only cars that gave the Vettes are real run for the money, actually beat em up good, was the American factory backed Oreca Vipers...Would love to see how the factory Vipers would stack up now..I think they would be swapping wins. I miss those days.
Damnit guys, slow down! Everytime I make a post, there is a new one to answer!

The Astons are pretty much brand new cars. Very few races under their belt and to do this good at their first LeMans, you can bet it's a damn good car. We won't see the DBR9 back in ALMS this year, save for maybe one or two races, so we'll have to wait for next year to see how they do against each other.
I believe the ACEMCO Saleen is more than able to beat the Vettes. They always have bad luck and stupid problems though. They got royally screwed this year when the ACO said their wing was too big, only to give it back and say it wasn't.

The Vipers were good, but despite rumors, I don't see them coming back to ALMS, LMES, or LeMans. Unless someone like Prodrive, picks one up and does the development work themselves. The Speed World Challenge is packed to the gills with Vipers, so maybe we'll see one eventually, but not a factory backed program. If it happens, then YAY!! but I'm not counting on it.