Thread: GTR Review
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #44
SFDMALEX
Regular User

Originally Posted by mindgam3
Originally Posted by Dan\/6
Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Any decent driver can drive a 600bhp race car? That has to be the funiest thing I have ever heard, that statement is an insult to any race car driver out there. A 600bhp race car, with slicks, any decent driver car drive that? Ok.
come on man, any decent driver could drive a 600bhp race car.. but its highly likely that if they tried to drive it fast then they would stick it in the armco
exactly

And they may be different genres of games; simulator and more arcade, but at the end of the day they're both GAMES.

If you read reviews of GTR and GT4 in genuine car magazines such as CAR and EVO who happen to test all the real supercars, they lump them all in the same group.

Both of them are way too unrealistic to be classed as a pure simulator - they're both games. The physics model in GTR may be better than GT4 in terms of realism, but its still unrealistic.... PC's aren't good enough yet to make a very accurate physics model for GAMES.

A simulator is the kind of thing the US government spends millions on to train their astraunauts and pilots, where by they get trained on it and then immediately can fly the actual fighters/choppers etc.... not something you can run on your PC

A proper simulator enables you to go from the virtual to the real with little in the way of differences. I don't think you can go from GTR to a 600bhp race car and pull off the same kind of lap times - no way....
Is that why Fabio Babini did not have any problems jumping into a GTR simulator and setting the same lap times as he does in real life? Is that the reason why half the drivers in FIA GT championship didnt have problems jumping in and driving right away?

If you say that computers are not capable if simulating a proper lets say Car model then you again are proving how misinformed or straight up not informed you are.

Do your reaserch mate. Did you know that the Swedish airforce uses Falcon 4 for their simulators? I guess not. Didnt know that did you? A contries airforce uses a publicaly availible simulator to train their pilots.
Do you know what is the only difference between my falcon 4 installtion and the Swedish Airforce one? They have an actuall cockpit resembling the aircraft with all the controll panels at their hands, were I have to use the keyboard as my controll panel.

Do your reaserch.

I flew one of those "million dollar" simulators here in Canada. Apart from sitting in actual cockpit its no different then lets say LOMAC. My god lomac had a better model.

Did you ever hear of PS1? Well let me tell you, ITS A DOS based 737 simulator. Costs about 300$, install it on a 233 and fly. It simulates 90% of the systems in the 737, the other 10% which are not simualted are the coffee maker systems on board. Did you know thats what they use to train pilots? I guess not.

Ever heard of Ian Bell? He's the head honcho of Simbin, jumped out of GTR straight into a Viper race car, drove around and a very good pace and said that the only difference is the fact that you are afraid of crashing since you can die(something sims can never simulate) and simply the physical vibrations from the car. Period, many said it over thousands of time. I know a guy who tracks his car everyweekend and he uses GTR/GPL to practice his driving skills.

I have a friend who's 16. In the States, if you want I can actually dig up a thread that he started on the subject. Well he's 16 and he just bought an 80s Quattro, the guy never rallied his car in his life, few weeks ago he went to his first little rally event and was second fastest. All his prior experiance was Richard Burns Rally, he wrote a whole thread saying how rbr helped him.

Anything else?

The only things computer are not capable of simulating is fear. Fear of death and proper G force simulating. Period.

Mindgam3 have you even looked at the motec telemetry in GTR? Did you know that that telemetry is exatctly the same thing as all the teams in FIA GT have in their laptops? Everbothered to look what type of telemetry data GTR is logging? I guess not. Just tell me what GTR doesnt simulate. Well it doesnt simulate air density and its effect on engine combustion, thats about it. But thats just nitpicking.

So if you want to continue talking then do your reasrch because you know absolutly nothing and are trying to prove something that you have no idea about. Your entire post was a bunch of silly assumptions. Such as the airforce simulators. Proved you wrong there didnt I? Obviously you know nothing about computer simulators period. You have no idea of what computers(yes your PC) are capable of simulating. My father is an RF engineer, they have systems running on standart P4s simulating 13ghz military transmission systems. Naval acadimies run boat simulators on standart PCs. Did you ever know that Mircrosoft Flight Sim simulates different air densities etc which directly affects the flight model? Have you ever bothered to look at how Richard Burns Rally models the entire differential system? Did you know anything about the GTR tire model? How its simulated? How it is affected by road temprature in real time?

I can go on and on...

As Im going to say to Tom, if simulators dont make you happy then play the dumbed down for the masses race games. Man I love playing PGR2, its tons of fun, GT4 is tons of fun, but in no way are those simulators. No console today has the proccesing power to run a good physics model.

You got to have a really big ego if you expect to sit in a race car and drive it any pace at all withouht any practice.
SFDMALEX is offline   Reply With Quote