View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 AM   #19
peruccy
Regular User

Cheers!

I will open a thread for the Trabant in due time, don't worry.

It drives really nice. The suspension on the car is superb. It might be overkill when you think about it - three control arms on each corner, but it sure makes the ride enjoyable.

So, next I had to replace my emblems. Of course, OEM ones are way to expensive for a piece of plastic, so I got an alternative. Stickers might look cheap, but these are in fact of high quality and properly thick. Best 10€ I've spend on the car so far

Installed

Then the oxygen sensor was replaced out of precaution, not necessity

Manual boost controller was next

Then I got a wideband oxygen sensor as well, so I could see what the engine is doing

Once I was going crazy with replacing electrical parts, sensors exc. I had to get an insert for the MAF, and also a crankshaft sensor. I know from experience that on Alfa's, faulty sensor can make you go mad trying to diagnose a problem. So I've decided to replace practically all the sensors on the car with new ones just to be on the safe side, and also for tuning purposes...

This car's engine is very quiet. The Italians made sure of that, since it was suppose to be a luxury cruiser. I don't like quiet. So going in that direction, the resonator chamber in the intake was blocked off

Next I replaced the gasket for the windscreen wiper cover, and the windscreen washer fluid hoses

Then I got connectors for the injectors. I was being methodical with the electrics - once you own an Alfa, you understand why

Next was the front speaker system which got uprated

Since I had a FMIC on both of my previous cars, I've decided to go down a different route on this car. I've decided to use a chargecooler system. So first item to get was a CC. 3" inlet / outlet

Difference between stock and 3" intake

Since this car does not have an oil pressure gauge, nor an oil pressure sensor, an universal one was installed. Some modification was needed of course, to get the sensor installed in the head, where the turbo gets it oil feed

Next on the list, was a bigger throttle body. Since my car uses a fly-by-wire TB, I basically had two options:
- A Ferrari 360 TB
- A Porsche Cayenne Turbo S TB

Both have exactly the same pin-out as Alfa, but have a bigger inlet. Ferrari TB's are getting rare and expensive, so I got a Porsche one instead... Stock vs. Porsche

Stock has 69mm inlet

Outside 75mm

Porsche has 79mm inlet

And 87mm outside

To be continued...
'talla
peruccy is offline   Reply With Quote