View Single Post
Old 04-30-2004, 12:00 AM   #9
DJF1
Regular User

The best 911 is mine!!!

Seriously all 911's are special. No matter which one you have or can afford they will offer the exact same pleasure as any rare or twin turbo 911. Driving a 911 is very special. If you have not driven one, once you do it gets in your blood. Its intoxicating beyond belief and nothing else compares. The way the chassis talks to you, the direct steering the music of the flat six, the way they drive all are so unique and so special on any 911. I usually put the top down on a breazy evening , bring the engine up to temp and then row up and down on the gears, often lifting just to hear the crackling and popping of the flat six Evrytime I twist the key and the flat six barks to life I get goozebumps! What a glorious sound!!!
On my last race my friend and co-driver finished the pads on his session. So he had to replace them and that meant I would loose my practice session. So while he tackled the job I went ove to the pittwall to watch the practice of my run group. I usually run with the "faster" group which means 993's, RSR's, GT911's and the latest cupcars and RS 911's. After the warm up lap the group started flying down the front straight, we would upshift 2 gears there, 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th with terminal velicity at the end of the straight about 230-40KPH in my car and 260-70 the RSR's etc.
The sound and the view of the 911's flying by in a fury of image and sound was intoxicating. I realized that my hair in the back of my neck was standing in salute! I pinched my self! I thought, Oh my God I'm actually running with these guys and my car looks and sounds exactly like these guys! I could not believe it! A lifelong dream has been realized! I though all the hard work, pain and things I had to go through the years were all worth it in that single moment! I though, I'm a lucky SOB! I looked to my right and over the fence... some kids noses were glued through the wire fence no doubt in awe, much like I was.
Owning a 911 is very special. Any 911 will talk to you, will drive you crazy, will make you fall in love every time, time and again.
73RS's and TT 911's are nice. But talks about them and which one is best is insignificant once you actually own your very own 911. Suddenly they do not matter anymore. Your 911 is the best and the experience she gives you day in and day out is nothing less than a 959 or a 73RS.
Like I said.... Lucky SOB!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote