View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 04:04 AM   #4
79TA
Regular User

For reference, John Marconi ran his Duratec powered Caterham. In addition to weighing nothing, the car had 20 treadwear tires, no typo. It ran a 28.6, but probably could have shaved some time had he been smoother. The next quickest car there was a bone stock C5 Z06 with a 28.9 second run, barely edging out the DSE second gen and the Mary Pozzi Camaro. The DSE cars wore BF Goodrich KDW 2's which are 300 treadwear tires. The DSE second gen was likely the quickest car there and would have greatly benefitted from slightly more aggressive tires.

Mary Pozzi's Camaro was notable in that it was only lightly modified in the suspension department. She ran stiffer coil springs along with Hotchkis leaf springs just like my car. She had some better bracing (subframe connectors and "g bars") than my TA does along with upper A-arms that allowed her to dial in some more caster. Of course, her hotchkis sway bars, were thicker than my stock WS4's. Our cars were even had near identical weights. The biggest difference, other than her champion autocross driving skills, was that she was running 180 treadwear Kumho Ecsta tires.

My Trans Am was limited by its tires, but I was still impressed by how well they held on. I just wish I had video of my better runs from the second day. Ugh, now I really want a second set of wheels for more aggressive tires.
79TA is offline   Reply With Quote