View Single Post
Old 04-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #10
DJF1
Regular User

Originally Posted by SFDMALEX
Originally Posted by deth
or rob a bank
Thanks for the post. I always though of getting a porsche, and I see a lot of 911s for 20k, but I always thought that those 20k 911 need another 10k in repairs etc.is that true?
No that is not true. Usually cosmetically neglected cars will go for cheap as unimformed buyers will stay away from them... The key is the mechanics and the chassis. No accidents and a solid engine and tranny. That is why a good PPI is all you need. If these are ok then the cosmetics can be done really cheap. For example... I "stole" my race car because it was a mess on the interior. The car had 80K miles, all the receipts for service, no accidents and the PPI numbers were very solid. I was looking for a race car anyway so interior was unimportant to me. Later though I was thinking of how cheap and easy would be to bring it back to life! Given the fact that my interior exept for the seats and safety equipment in general have to look stock, I bought aftermarket OEM quality carpets for $400 complete. The dash was cracked a bit so I went on ebay and got one in great condition for 80 bucks. I had a spare shiftknob, so I cut the leather boot and using zip ties I mounted the new shiftknob. For another 200 bucks I bought used and in great condition a set of RS door panels which were covered in OEM leather. If I wanted to get seats I would get used OEM seats from ebay for 500-600bucks or redo the stock seats. In my case I had to have racing seats so I bought a set of slightly used Sparco's for 600 bucks and I was set. Now the interior looks really sharp almost in brand new condition... I run the car with the stock engine, tranny, clutch and brakes for almost a year without a hitch... I only comsumed brake pads and a set or rotors which are very cheap to buy anyway...all that with an 80K mile car that noone wanted to buy because of the rough cosmetics... My gain their loss really!!!
DJF1 is offline   Reply With Quote