View Single Post
Old 01-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #42
RC45
Regular User

Have you ever even sat in the drivers seat of the new Phantom...?

I have and it is not exactly Ferrari or even BMW what with the upright seat and large steering wheel.

It is the driving position of a chauffeured limo. The seats are not any more comfy than the Towncar.

Now the Bently Conti, thats a "drivers" seating position, not a chauffeurs.

ANd I had the chance to compare both side by side. And believe it or not, there is no extra tangeble "luxury" you keep speaking of.

It is simply badge and presence. This counts for a lot, but trying to claim either of those 2 is more "luxuroius" than the Towncar is bizarre.

All three have leather seats, wood trim, outrageously comfortable seats and a silint ambience while underway.

So - if you want to say the Rolls is a Rolls and the Lincoln never will be.. thats fine.. but its an intangeble.

But if you try to say that a non-bespoke Rolls is "more luxurious" than even a Bentley or a Towncar or large Benz you are wrong - they all display the tangible accoutrements of luxury - perhaps one has more outrageous and expensive options built in (but you can even get bespoke Lincolns and Benzs to counter that).

That's the point.

And now I will bring the Z06 into this debate since you keep bringing it up... in the tangible performance category - the C5 Z06 laps Nurburgring and other tracks in the same time and sometimes better than the 360CS - so that means the 360CS is not "a better sports car".

The Ferrari may appeal to some more thna the others, and have that intangeble "it's Ferrari" quattributeality.. but it is not "a beeter sportscar" because of this.

It is just more expensive.

Now back to the thread starter:

Originally Posted by gangajas
I've have read that the Lincoln Town Car has an almost 30 years old chassis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform).

How can this car compete with its rivals from Cadillac and the best European and Japanese brands?
How can this car compete with the others with an "older chassis" - easy, the age of the chassis does not detract from accomplashing the task at hand - Luxury Travel.

Luxury is luxury at that point - the seats are large, wide and comfortable, rear leg room is outrageous, the car floats silently down the road.

The Towncar and Rolls both deliver that quality - one just appeals to the snob in you more than the other.

Period.