Thread: BMW E36 M3
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #28
ae86_16v
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62

With regards to its drive, many have had said it is more direct, more communicative than the E46 and only behind the E30. In my opinion, the E46 feels a bit damp.
Yes, the E46 was overdampend and underspung. The steering is alot heavier in the E36, but imo has better feel. It's easier to catch when stepping out, but the shifts are tighter on the E46 which i like alot. The feel is just alot sportier. But yet again, that's age talking. the shift bushings on most E36's are worn giving it a sloppy feel.

now the E46 retaining the inline 6 but achieving the 100hp/L mark, natually aspirated mind you, was the next huge landmark, especially considering that it's capable of running with a car that as another 1.8L and 2 cylinders (E39 M5). But again, i don't see how you can fault the E36 for falling short of a car that was on the drawing board while it was on the production line.

Now that i am done rambling on, i voted cool.
Exactly, only down fault in my view is the shifter, a OE M Roadster/Coupe shifter would rectify that. Otherwise than that one point it is a GREAT drive.

I would like "iraghava" to show me reviews that said the E36 drive sucks. I have yet to see one.

Agreed, I don't understand how people are comparing this car to the E46. So like I said earilier, just because those are great cars doesn't make the E36 a bad car.

The E36 stepped up and fill the shoes of the E30 admirably.
ae86_16v is offline   Reply With Quote