Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 04-18-2005, 05:58 PM   #1
philios55
Regular User

Default PS3 Latest Images and some info

A few of the latest pics for the PS3 which is hopefully not far away from
release!!!

PS3 INFO
Playstation 3, An essential overview

The Sony PlayStation 3 (colloquially known as the PS3) will be the new video game console in Sony's PlayStation series. Currently, PlayStation 3 is estimated to be available sometime in 2006, but recent developments suggest that it may in fact arrive as late as 2007, or as early as fall (October to December) 2005.

Central Processing Unit

The PlayStation 3's CPU will be a chip codenamed "Cell", and the system will use chip-to-chip interface technology and memory technology from Rambus. Cell's technical details were released at the February 2005 ISSCC. IBM has won the contract to produce Cell chips for the console. The CPU's supposed distributed processing features have been of great interest to the press, speculation being that many items in the home, with differing numbers of Cell chips, can pool their power. Cell is a dual-core, 64-bit RISC IBM POWER derivative. Early versions of the chip will be 90-nm, with a change to a 65-nm process, if cost and performance allow. Abstracts from presentations to be presented at ISSCC show the Cell processor running at 4.6 GHz.

Graphics Processing Unit

In December 2004, Nvidia announced that they have been in a multi-year agreement with SCEI to develop the PlayStation 3's GPU, a custom variant of their next-generation graphics processor. In fact, they had worked for two years on the chip before making the announcement. They were previously responsible for the GPU in the Xbox console. The GPU will be manufactured at the joint Sony/Toshiba fabrication facility in Nagasaki, Japan.

RAM

Reuters news service reports that Elpida will be supplying the RAM used in the Playstation 3, and the company confirms spectulation that the Playstation 3 will utilize the 512 megabit version (64 Megabyte per RAM chip) of XDR DRAM, with Rambus' interface technology. Up to four can be used per Cell chip, for a maximum RAM figure of 256 Megabytes per Cell Chip.

Anticipation

As the latest in a series of extremely popular game consoles, anticipation surrounding the PS3 is high. Fans have already started designing images of what they think the console will look like. However, there have not been any official designs publically released by Sony as of yet. Dedicated Sony loyalists have also formed various forums, which they use to discuss all aspects of the next generation gaming system. Sony has announced that the PS3 will appear (possibly in playable form) at E3 in 2005, but will debut ahead of that event.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
No.1
Regular User

Woah.... looks good, but i don't know wheter to trust thise images.

BTW - just got me a PSP, and it ROCKS!!! Can't wait to get a browser on the thing 8)
Old 04-18-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
Pimp Racer
Regular User

I heard those were proven to be false! Thank god!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #4
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by Pimp Racer
No shit! Normally I wouldn't care how a console looks, but thats downright fugly! IMO, it's worse than the Xbox!

I wish they would give you different cases to choose from. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a brushed aluminum case so it matches all the other components on my entertainment center.
666fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
Anonymous

So we're definately saying false on the pics, thank fuck!! LOL not the best renderings i've ever seen but some effort did go into them!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:40 PM   #6
Mers
Regular User

Pics are proven to be fakes, thank god...
It's almost as bad as the XBOX, although not quite...
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 AM   #7
zondaland
Regular User

The technical specifications certainly make it sound absolutely incredible, I wonder how long before we get GT5 - and will it have damage, probably not, by the time they have fifteen million cars and thirty thousand trillion pixels to each car, but hey, at least they will look pretty.
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
430csjj
Regular User

I think it looks good, it also has the spec to match!!
Old 04-27-2005, 04:57 PM   #9
Pimp Racer
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
No shit! Normally I wouldn't care how a console looks, but thats downright fugly! IMO, it's worse than the Xbox!

I wish they would give you different cases to choose from. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra for a brushed aluminum case so it matches all the other components on my entertainment center.
DUDE! That would be kickass! I have a thing for Brushed Aluminum! You know they came out with a limited edition PS2 which offered that? Unforutunally it was already sold out and I dont think I have seen one on ebay yet.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:27 AM   #10
Dubai
Regular User

I can't have enough of GT4 from PS2..... !!

hehehe. I think PS3 is coming up because of GT5..
Dubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:35 PM   #11
zondaland
Regular User

Originally Posted by insane
Originally Posted by zondaland
The technical specifications certainly make it sound absolutely incredible, I wonder how long before we get GT5 - and will it have damage, probably not, by the time they have fifteen million cars and thirty thousand trillion pixels to each car, but hey, at least they will look pretty.
Someone told me that PS3 will be launched along with GT5.
Gran Turismo has become the iconic game of the playstation console, it would certainly make sense to have a new GT game launched with PS3. But if GT4 is anything to go by then the delays could mean that they are unable to launch simultaneously, or we end up with an unfinished GT5 :cry:
zondaland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:24 PM   #12
DeMoN
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast

http://www.xmodd.com/pstwocases.htm
Old 05-01-2005, 05:01 AM   #13
DeMoN
Regular User

GT5 is going to come out in at least 2 years... They put a lot of effort in the game. The console should come within 1 year tops... hopefully.