Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

Old 05-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #1
Just_me
Regular User

Default Today a got a ride in the new Z06 :)

Today I met the owner of a brand new Corvette Z06, yellow and with a very powerful V8 sound. Yellow is a real eyecatcher and he gets a lot of attention when he drive the car. He told me there is a lot of people who want to challenge him when he is out driving. He often accept it and and so far he hasn't lost a race. He has done some track driving since he got the car but he can still not push it to the limit. This car is more than enough for 98% of the drivers outthere. Just before we met, he told me he took his mother out for a spin and she had problems to get in and out of the car, its a very low car and she didnt like it when he pushed the throttle. She asked him to slow down.

Anyway, me and the owner were talking for 90 minutes but only about cars. If you guys remember the thread with three Ferraris and the yellow Corvette and the big house. Well him and the owner is going to Nordschleife this summer with a Ferrari 430 and his Z06. They will also get a personal driver to teach them how to handle the car and how to drive on Nordschleife. The owner of the Ferrari 430 is replacing his 575M with the new 599 GTB. His father also own an Enzo.

I asked the Vette owner what the Ferrari owner think of Lamborghini, well he really dislike the brand and would never buy one, its only Ferrari to him. Although he also own a Maserati, although he changed the engine in his Maserati two times he still love the car. For the winter he is using a X5 4.8is.

Finally he offered me a ride in his Z06 and we took the car for a spin. The V8 sound fantastic, like a Nascar. A M6 is more quiet inside and not so noisy, just like with a 996TT its a lot of noise while driving. Personally I have no problem with it, it makes you feel more connected to the car, besides the seats are comfortable. If you can live with the noise then you can take the car for a long trip.
Straight line performance is as we know it awesome, it should be with 512hp/636nm and low weight. A guy in a BMW 5er tried to challenge us and was going to drive pass us but the Vette owner pushed the throttle and the BMW was long gone. I shot a clip with my camera, unfortunaly you dont notice how fast we go with a digitalcamera but you can certainly hear the car.
We met a policebike and policecar but lucky for us they drove on the opposite lane but I could see that the bikecop looked at us.

I never expected that I was going to try the car so it was a pleasent surprise that he asked me and of course I couldnt say No. Within six months I have driven two cars with more than 500 hp. I know this is a different kind of monster than a M6 and it need to be driven with respect. Since it wasn't my car, I didnt push the car like I did with the M6 but of course I had to push the car a little bit on the straightline.
Like I said earlier the Z06 is more noisy inside than a M6 and just like with a 996TT, the Vette feels more powerful than a M6. The power in a M6 is more discrete.
The clutch was a surprise, it was easy as a Volvo to use and you dont need to use all your legmuscles to use it. According to the owner, its an easy car to drive in the city.
The car is a real bargain and I think the car is worth every penny. There is a lot of power for the money and not everyone can afford a brand new 997TT so if you want a toy, go ahead, buy a Corvette Z06.

Bonus ( a short videoclip):
http://rapidshare.de/files/20456231/Z06.wmv.html
Old 05-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #2
nthfinity
Regular User

:good:

glad to hear you enjoyed the Z, just_,me what did you think of its ride-qualities?
Old 05-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
:good:

glad to hear you enjoyed the Z, just_,me what did you think of its ride-qualities?
We only drove the car on country roads and here in Sweden those roads are often pretty good so I cant say anything about the ride qualities but I really enjoyed the seats, felt comfortable for me
Old 05-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
sentra_dude

Awesome dude!!! 8)

What a great experience to ride in it, and then get to drive it!

Thanks for all the pics, and the great description of what it was like to ride/drive, you are lucky!

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:58 AM   #5
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by sentra_dude
Awesome dude!!! 8)

What a great experience to ride in it, and then get to drive it!

Thanks for all the pics, and the great description of what it was like to ride/drive, you are lucky!
I knew I was getting a ride but it was a total surprise that I drove the car. I cant complain
Old 05-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Just_me
Regular User

I uploaded a short video on google

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...54684612209064
Old 05-16-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
RC45
Regular User

Sounds like an awesome experience - I am glad someone got to try one in a far away land... 500hp kicks arse doesn't it? hehe
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #8
dutchmasterflex
Regular User

I still haven't seen a C6 Z06 in person!.. let alone test drive one!!

Must feel good to have people constantly throw keys to their 500hp exotics..

Great write up, definitely a great experience and glad it was well documented.

Interesting to hear about the clutch.. it's amazing what they did with that car.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
sentra_dude

Originally Posted by Just_me
Thanks dude.

------------
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5spd, intake.
sentra_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 11:28 PM   #10
MIHALS
Regular User

nice experience you had and ofcourse what a friendly owner

I was just sitting in this yellow Z06 when I was in Prague with Arman and I have to say the sitting position is VERY comfortable and makes you feel like you're a part of the car. not like Ford GT which is too crowded and I don't know how JC can fit it

thanx for pics and storry just_me :good:
Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM   #11
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by dutchmasterflex

Interesting to hear about the clutch.. it's amazing what they did with that car.
Yes the clutch was very easy, just like any other regular car outthere. Driving in city, an easy clutch is welcome
Old 05-17-2006, 01:53 AM   #12
Just_me
Regular User

Originally Posted by RC45
Sounds like an awesome experience - I am glad someone got to try one in a far away land... 500hp kicks arse doesn't it? hehe
It doesnt happen many times that i agree with your posts here at jabbas but YES"" Z06 is an amazing car. I loved it
Old 05-17-2006, 02:01 AM   #13
nthfinity
Regular User

Originally Posted by MIHALS
nice experience you had and ofcourse what a friendly owner

I was just sitting in this yellow Z06 when I was in Prague with Arman and I have to say the sitting position is VERY comfortable and makes you feel like you're a part of the car. not like Ford GT which is too crowded and I don't know how JC can fit it

thanx for pics and storry just_me :good:
i know you guys sat in it... and i can't make any sence of it...

i'm a 230 lb 6'2" guy; and i have room to spare in a FGT; but the C6 Z06's seats feel loose, and that im on top of them rather then in them... i was in the optional CF seats if that makes a difference...
Old 05-17-2006, 05:35 AM   #14
yg60m
Regular User

Thanks for the report and vid mate, that's a nice experience and I am sure that it accelerate better than the M6
Old 05-17-2006, 06:39 AM   #15
Daggernite
Regular User

Id like to see a Z06, better still drive or have a ride in one. But there just aint any around my area it seems. I saw a old one in january, it was the old looking stingray one I think. Sounds like you had a good time, nice pics too.
Daggernite is offline   Reply With Quote