Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-14-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
Moumou
Regular User

Default Infiniti G35

I went to an Infiniti dealership a few days ago and two things surprised me:

(1) If you want the six-speed manual, you HAVE to have that ugly spoiler in the back. What the hell? I find it ruins the whole design and I kept asking myself why are so many people opting for it. Guess they didn't have much choice.

(2) None of the dealership can schedule a test drive for me! They say the car is selling like hot-cakes that they can't afford to have a demo. Once they receive one, it's pre-sold and ready to go. Apparently you have to put a deposit to order the car according to your personal specs. You get the car and drive it. You like it, we go through with the sale. You don't, they give you back the deposit and the car is sold the next day. There's a 3-month waiting list.

Concerning the spoiler issue, my friend told me you can have it removed. When he asked about the WRX spoiler, the dealership explained to him that for a fee you can have the spoiler removed and they will 'cover-up' the holes on the trunk. Sounds horrific if you ask me, I don't want my trunk to look all messed up on a brand-new car! Apparently you can then sell the spoiler on Ebay or something.

Guys and girls, I need help. It's coming down to the G35 and TT. I am leaning towards the G, but this whole thing is turning me of. What do you suggest? Is the spoiler-removal operation that bad you think? I surely don't want an automatic.

I don't know...I'm thinking of getting the car in April/May, but this all seems too complicated.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 02-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
CMonakar
Regular User

I don't think the spoiler removal is a big deal so long as it is done by a good body shop. You could just as easily have this done yourself after purchase. I'm not a spoiler type of guy, but I think the G35 spoiler looks ok. Maybe the look will grow on you.

As for the test drive BS, I would call infiniti customer service and see if they can help. I won't put money down on anything until I've had some seat time.-I think that is pretty reasaonble.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
oscargarza88
Regular User

r u talking about the new tt ot the 1.8?
and that infinity service sux! i dindt know it was so bad
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
noosee
Regular User

I'm thinking of importing G35 myself
And if you want to remove spoiler, either you will cover the holes with something or repaint the back
Not a good thing to do on a new car But don't go for the auto :cry:
noosee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

I want a mitsubishi 3000gt as many of you may know. Recently, the perfect one was on sale... called the next day I saw itup, and sold. This peaced me off and made me realize that I will never have it. The next best thing, at this point, is a G35. Even though I dont like to have something that is selling like hot bread. I want something that looks cool and something that is fast. I wanted the 350z cuz it was faster but my fatherd does not agree on "paying so much for a motorcycle." You sure could have the spoiler removed, I think that if the dealer told you that they could remove the spoiler, they have done it before without complains.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
PATo355
Regular User

Bah ... get the TT , the 1.8 liter quattro is a fast reliable car .

"It changes direction like a fly, grips like a barnacle and goes like a jet fighter on combat power" ( Lambo Gallardo ) .JC.
PATo355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
CMonakar
Regular User

Originally Posted by PATo355
Bah ... get the TT.
.....If you feel like paying out the Arse for the privilege of driving a VW bug with an Audi logo on it. It is a 'cute' car -not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:16 PM   #8
Moumou
Regular User

Thanks for the input.

To answer one of the questions, it's the TT 225 hp Quattro. Price wise it's abit more expensive. But I'm considering it because of it's better classic looks inside and out, and has 4 wheel drive (very important in Montreal's crazy winters). Power is not as crazy as the G but the max. torque can be found at a very low rpm range, which is fun. Plus there won't be any head-aches when it comes to delivery or test-driving issues.

I am however, abit confused concerning the whole spoiler issue on the G. No I don't like it; I think it kills the smooth shape of it's rear-end which already looks fantastic. But anybody knows what the procedure it to remove a spoiler? Is it complicated to 'fill in' those holes that are gonna show on the trunk? Jeez that must be freaky.
Old 02-15-2004, 02:37 AM   #9
jinmin803
Regular User

As far as I know, you don't have to have the spoiler either. I know of other people who do not have the spoiler on their 6MTs, and I personally think it's ugly as well. The spoiler is a option called the airo pakcage, and you should be albe to get the car without it. If the dealer is telling you that you can't get it with out it, I must say that he/she is BSing you.
jinmin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:30 AM   #10
RC45
Regular User

Visit http://www.infinitiusa.com and configure the car the way you would like it - print out your "built car" and take it to the Infiniti dealer concerned - rub it in his face - then demand to speak to the dealer principle - and order your car.

The dealers you are speaking to are just trying to fuck you over and trick you into buying cars they have preconfigured and ordered in the hopes of selling to suckers who don't configure their own custom orders.

I have never understood people who go new car shopping, and then instead of ordering exactly what they want, settle for some screwed up dealer option combo they didn't want.

If you are buying used, obviously you have to take whats there - but if buying new - YOU ARE EMPOWERED --- not the dealer...

Don't settle for what they want to sell you - get what YOU want - if they won't give it to you - go to another dealer.

But be sure to return to the original dealer afterwards and show the salesman the deal he lost - and let him and the dealer principle know you are going to go out of your way to let everyone you meet that they tried to screw you over and recommend they not go to their dealer.

Did I ever mention I HATE car salesman and dealers with a passion...
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 03:46 AM   #11
CMonakar
Regular User

Agreed

Again, I'm almost certain they HAVE TO all you to test drive w/o a commitment if you want one. Talk to Infiniti directly about that. I think that will set the tone for the rest of your dealings with them-including their spoiler bs.

Filling in the holes is not a big deal. I know several people that have done this with various cars and you can't see it. I believe they weld the holes closed and then sand the surface flat. I'm sure you could also order a new trunk lid from infiniti without the spoiler holes if worst comes to worst.

The TT is a nice car, but from what I've heard it's not that much fun to drive. Also the 4wd system is apparently a bit slow in transfering power from front to back.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:09 AM   #12
666fast
Regular User

and has 4 wheel drive (very important in Montreal's crazy winters).
The 2004 G35 will have all wheel drive too.
Old 02-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #13
jinmin803
Regular User

just out of curiosity and to clear things up, are we talking about the G35 coupe or the 4-door? The 4-door version does have all wheel drive, but not the coupe...
jinmin803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 05:55 PM   #14
altedza
Regular User

Default Re: Infiniti G35

Originally Posted by Moumou
I went to an Infiniti dealership a few days ago and two things surprised me:

(1) If you want the six-speed manual, you HAVE to have that ugly spoiler in the back. What the hell? I find it ruins the whole design and I kept asking myself why are so many people opting for it. Guess they didn't have much choice.

(2) None of the dealership can schedule a test drive for me! They say the car is selling like hot-cakes that they can't afford to have a demo. Once they receive one, it's pre-sold and ready to go. Apparently you have to put a deposit to order the car according to your personal specs. You get the car and drive it. You like it, we go through with the sale. You don't, they give you back the deposit and the car is sold the next day. There's a 3-month waiting list.

Concerning the spoiler issue, my friend told me you can have it removed. When he asked about the WRX spoiler, the dealership explained to him that for a fee you can have the spoiler removed and they will 'cover-up' the holes on the trunk. Sounds horrific if you ask me, I don't want my trunk to look all messed up on a brand-new car! Apparently you can then sell the spoiler on Ebay or something.

Guys and girls, I need help. It's coming down to the G35 and TT. I am leaning towards the G, but this whole thing is turning me of. What do you suggest? Is the spoiler-removal operation that bad you think? I surely don't want an automatic.

I don't know...I'm thinking of getting the car in April/May, but this all seems too complicated.

Thanks for your advice!
i went to infiniti of cerritos, california with my friend and within 10 minutes the guy there was eager to pull out a brand new black one for me to abuse. i pulled it out.... floored it right off the bat, spun around a corner, floored it again. i felt it drove like shit. if you choices are the tt and the g here's my take. the tt is feminine. it has the same 1.8t you find in a jetta. although its tweaked, it's the same engine (it may not matter to you). the g however is played out and did NOT meet my standards at all. they did a good job with value and styling is acceptable but it just didnt feel right at all. didnt feel like i had a lot of control and feel.
altedza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #15
sickx
Regular User

It's time to go to a neighboring dealer--they are clearly trying to sell you "optioned-out" coupe models...the aero package is an OPTION on the 6MT.
BTW, the 6MT drives nicely, but feels cumbersome, despite its 280BHP. Engine is torquey, has nice grunt. The handling is fantastic, and the brakes are simply stellar. However, the weight of the car is evident, as it doesn't have the enormous thrust you would expect from the highly-tuned VQ motor.

As for aftermarket tune-ability, the TT has the G35 beat. ALWAYS easier (and cheaper) to modify a forced-air motor than a NA one.

As for getting by your horrid winters--man it's hard to pass up AWD.

Geez, I never thought I would recommend a TT over the G35, but in your case it does seem the 'practical' choice...
sickx is offline   Reply With Quote