Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > American Cars

American Cars Area dedicated to American Cars from Classic, Muscle, to Modern!

View Poll Results: Whats your bet on the best upcoming musclecar?
Ford Shelby GT500 (500hp) 4 17.39%
Dodge Challenger (500-510hp) 7 30.43%
Chevy Camaro (500hp LS7) 10 43.48%
Boss Mustang (5.0L 390hp-3600lbs) 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #1
rave426
Regular User

Default New musclecars opinion

OK, tell me what you think about the new musclecars that we will be seeing soon (The GT500 is already out). Some of these are speculations, but they are more than likely going to happen.

NO BLASTED USA HATING EITHER
Old 08-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
RC45
Regular User

A return of a ZL1 style COPO Camaro would be great - probably would never happen, but it would be great.
RC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:18 PM   #3
gangajas
Regular User

I like the new Challenger
gangajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
nthfinity
Regular User

the challenger looks great; but the GT500 is the ONLY muscle car that is a reality (the Mustang GT is a pony car.... not a muscle car til somebody decides to get some power adders in there)

the Camaro.... LS3 engined; and there is potential for the LS7... as the Vette will have the 6.2 liter s/c engine at that time. the LS3 is hanging 450ish hp n/a. I have to wonder about the prices vs. each other.

the Mustang will unoquivically be the performance bargin; and i don't look forward to the prices of the competitors.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
bmagni
Regular User

The Camaro is the best looking of em all... but its just the concept, the concept mustang looked much better than the final thing... we'll have to wait and see
bmagni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
rave426
Regular User

I think think the camaro and challenger will both look sick in production form. And sadly, I think all these cars will be near the same price.

Its gonna be the 60-70's all over again.."Mine sounds better than yours" , and plenty of stop light racing. The times are looking good for American power...........lets just hope that the other cars follow the GT500 and understand how to cope with a hairpin.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
gangajas
Regular User

Have the Challenger and the Camaro independent rear supension?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #8
nthfinity
Regular User

^^^^^^^^^^
the Challenger will have IRS, according to my sources
the Camaro wont, according to my sources

Originally Posted by rave426
I think think the camaro and challenger will both look sick in production form. And sadly, I think all these cars will be near the same price.

Its gonna be the 60-70's all over again.."Mine sounds better than yours" , and plenty of stop light racing. The times are looking good for American power...........lets just hope that the other cars follow the GT500 and understand how to cope with a hairpin.
and that is why the Mustang will continue in production, while the Challenger will be here for a few glorious years, then disappear again...

GM is feverishly trying to make the Camaro more affordable.. so we'll see
Old 08-01-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
gangajas
Regular User

Originally Posted by nthfinity
the Challenger will have IRS, according to my sources
That is plus for the Dodge
Old 08-01-2006, 08:05 PM   #10
666fast
Regular User

Originally Posted by bmagni
The Camaro is the best looking of em all... but its just the concept, the concept mustang looked much better than the final thing... we'll have to wait and see
I wouldn't expect GM to sit back and let Ford eat up all the sales with the Mustang. there has always been a rivalry between the two, you had Mustang drivers and you had Camaro drivers. If it's built (I believe it will be) it will be a hot seller.

My favorite is the Challenger, I love the way it looks. Only problem is, I wouldn't even consider buying one unless it'll be the SRT model. Which won't be cheap!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:39 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

This is what scares me about a rehash of the Muscle Car era.

First off, the prices. Muscle cars were affordable pavement pounders that sucked gas and hauled ass. If the companies allow the legends to support their egos and price them accordingly, these cars are only going to be obtainable by the crowd that grew up with them in the 60s. To maintain the spirit of these cars, you need to maintain the attainability. Yes, i understand the whole pay to play concept, but the ancestors of these cars defied that.

Second. Insurance. Premiums are one of the factors that contributed to the dissappearance of most of the muscle cars, and the premiums of new cars today as it is, makes the prospect of buying a new car completely out of the question. You'll pay more per month for insurance than you will your car note. Especially if the Red Light Challenge re-emerges. It's bad e-fucking-nough with the ricers doing it. But you throw 500+ HP beasts into the mix, being "controlled" by drivers who don't know what to do when the rear end steps out, and you are again on your way to seeing the demise of powerful american cars.

Third. Automatic transmissions. The Charger doesn't have an option for a 5 or 6-speed manual, i'm sure the Challenger doesn't either. Fortunately the Mustang does and i desperately hope the Camaro will too. But as far as i can tell, the transmission choice will be a contributing factor to the second demise of the Charger/Challenger.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 02:47 AM   #12
acmarttin
Regular User

Another thing that scares me about this "new muscle car era" is the fact that the last time there was a muscle car era in the USA, there was also an oil crisis :drinking:
Old 08-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by acmarttin
Another thing that scares me about this "new muscle car era" is the fact that the last time there was a muscle car era in the USA, there was also an oil crisis :drinking:
the cars contributed nothing to that. 90% of an oil crisis is media invoking fears.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:45 AM   #14
rave426
Regular User

Actually the challenger will have the same 6 speed manual transmission that is in the Viper.

And the way the government wants us to believe it, we already are in an oil crisis. - Yet there is no shortage----at all

Edit

UPDATE - The new Boss (302) Mustang will have the 5.0L with at least 390hp and it will get a slightly stirpped out interior and the same suspension setup as the GT500 (Remember this is based from the 4.6L aluminum block so this car should wieght about 3500-3600lbs vs the GT500 3990) . It looks like this is going to be all around performer to have............unless the challenger and camaro lose some weight.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
nthfinity
Regular User

i dont know anything about Boss.... but i did hear something about another B name ...