Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Automotive Brands Forum > Car Chat

Old 02-29-2004, 01:39 AM   #1
hemi_fan
Regular User

Default Test Drives Today

Me and my dad went out to the Nissan and Subaru dealerships today. Hes looking for a small sporty car that gets good gas mileage. (around the $22,000 range). We didnt have that much time, so we looked at the Base sentra, and then took out a Sentra SER V-spec. The V-spec was actually a pretty nice car, good handling, nice power, and my dad said the clutch and gear shifter felt really good compared to the base. Then we went over to the scuby dealership, and heres where I was dissapointed. We test drove an Impreza RS, the 165hp version, it handled awesome, but felt kinda cheap inside... then on the way back, my dad asked if he could test the WRX Sti there... They wouldnt let him! they said they only allow tests on a "Promise to buy" basis. I was so pissed! They also said u have to be over 25 y/o to drive it (but my dads 44). Then we didnt have enuff time to test the regular WRX. The guys at that dealership are such pricks... my dad hates em. Is it the same for dealerships around u guys?

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Factory Rated: 225hp, 300lbs tq
http://www.cardomain.com/profile/hemi_fan
hemi_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
Silvia_Drift
Regular User

Default Re: Test Drives Today

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
Me and my dad went out to the Nissan and Subaru dealerships today. Hes looking for a small sporty car that gets good gas mileage. (around the $22,000 range). We didnt have that much time, so we looked at the Base sentra, and then took out a Sentra SER V-spec. The V-spec was actually a pretty nice car, good handling, nice power, and my dad said the clutch and gear shifter felt really good compared to the base. Then we went over to the scuby dealership, and heres where I was dissapointed. We test drove an Impreza RS, the 165hp version, it handled awesome, but felt kinda cheap inside... then on the way back, my dad asked if he could test the WRX Sti there... They wouldnt let him! they said they only allow tests on a "Promise to buy" basis. I was so pissed! They also said u have to be over 25 y/o to drive it (but my dads 44). Then we didnt have enuff time to test the regular WRX. The guys at that dealership are such pricks... my dad hates em. Is it the same for dealerships around u guys?
Yeah man. The guys working at Subaru that I have dealt with are such assholes. My mom just bought a new Legacy yesterday; its like those guys don't care about selling their cars. Then, try getting the car serviced. It costs so much money plus they act even worse since they have already sold you their car.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:50 AM   #3
hemi_fan
Regular User

My neighbours also said these guys were assholes, although they have subarus (on both sided of my house), but they bought from a different dealership cuz they r such jerks at the one I went to.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 AM   #4
hemi_fan
Regular User

O yeah, I forgot to ask... anyone got any suggestions on what my dad should look at? he wanted to test drive the civic siR, but doesnt know what else.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 02-29-2004, 02:19 AM   #5
coloradosilver
Regular User

Same out here. I my friend and I went to test an STI and they said "NO" unless you were going to buy it. Doesn't that defeat the point though? Anyway...he did end up buying one somewhere else. But for that amount (about $22K) I'd go for the regular WRX. They are great cars, highly modifiable (if you wish), and really hard to beat for reliability! A great car that will run forever. The standard WRX would be a great choice in my opinion.
coloradosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:58 AM   #6
oscargarza88
Regular User

it sux that subaru dealerships r so gay when it comes to test drive their cars.
oscargarza88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:43 AM   #7
Kangaroo Boy
Regular User

I got a story for you about dealership pricks..Many Years ago,back in 1995 my parents went looking for something newer then the old Austin 1800 mk2..We went down to one dealership that sold "quality" second hand cars.My parents were keen on a Saab 900 Turbo back from the mid 80s asking price 13 grand.It had over 150 000 on the Clock and only had one owner..So my parents took it for test drive for a whole day,The Interior was nice same as the exterior,But it was gutless,and was blowing a bit of oil(I think the turbo was gone)..Anyway,My parents took it to another dealership while test driving because they saw a nice Mazda 323 at another dealership while test driving the saab..They ask the guy how much of trade in for the Saab and the Guy said only 3 grand trade in.That after a mechanic had look at the Saab,and talk to the sales rep at the time..My old man knew he was getting ripped off.He went back to the dealership where he got the Saab.Some reason the Sales person knew about my old man efforts of getting a trade in,dunno how,the Guy blew up big time,my old man told him Go fuck yourself,You were trying to ripp me off,and I'm going to tell people not to go to this delearship..And walked away.18 months later the dealership went down the drain...So yeah,there are heaps of arseholes out.
Old 02-29-2004, 05:56 AM   #8
cho_888
Regular User

i think its all on apperences, my friend when into a ferrari dealership with a suit on and he got asked if he wanted a test drive. People judge people by how they look. Its a sad fact of life
Old 02-29-2004, 06:44 AM   #9
SPEEDKILLAR
Regular User

i think its all on apperences, my friend when into a ferrari dealership with a suit on and he got asked if he wanted a test drive. People judge people by how they look. Its a sad fact of life
Well guys lets get the suit out of the closet and test drive those hot cars.

Its kinda of sad they don't have a demo model to be tested, maybe they are afraid

that ppl will dislike the car

Tariq Ali - Clash of Fundamentalisms

Blaire is a figleaf

Cars are my hobby, driving them is my passion.

Originally Posted by Dan\/6
damn speedkillar, if you didnt have a title already it would now say 'robofucker' or similar
SPEEDKILLAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #10
Cornutu
Regular User

It is exactly the same at our subaru dealership. However, our chevrolet and bmw dealership let my dad test drive a vette and an m3 no problem. No intent to buy or anything.
Cornutu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
hemi_fan
Regular User

yeah, my dad was telling me that in the 80s, he and his friend would go out to dealerships on weekends and take cars out for an hour at a time. He said he liked taking out the Turbo Daytonas, and they didnt require a sales rep to ride with you. that woulda been cool.

1990 Ford Mustang GT
Old 02-29-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
zr2man99
Regular User

Same thing with the subaru dealership around here. For 22K I would go with a regular WRX or a used 98 or older M3.

People were a lot more trusting back in the day. Too bad the world has gone down the shitter.
zr2man99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 12:44 PM   #13
®™▪▪ÅчÑίÂ
Regular User

Yeh even the dealerships are like that in the uk, well were i live anyway, but get this it wasnt the subaru dealer it was the Mitsu dealer, i went with ma uncle to buy the new Evo 8 couple of months ago, But they said you cant test it unless you buy it, so me and me uncle had to drive 116 miles to the next mitsu dealership and they only let us test it for 5 minutes, bloody hell that pissed us off, so we went to the main 1 in london and we were relieved that they atleast gave us it for half an hour

Sniff...Sniff I Cant Get That Car Sniff...Sniff...

It's So Good Its Better Than Any Current Ferrari(Lambo Murcielago), But Astonishingly It's not as Good as The Zonda, This is The New King Of SUPERCARS - Jeremy Clarkson
®™▪▪ÅчÑί is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 02:27 PM   #14
Caplax40
Regular User

Originally Posted by hemi_fan
yeah, my dad was telling me that in the 80s, he and his friend would go out to dealerships on weekends and take cars out for an hour at a time.
Man that's kinda funny. Me and a friend have been doing that off and on since last summer! Guess we're not all that original.
Caplax40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
callen
Regular User

A few yrs ago we went to a gm dealer locally. my dad was buying a gmc safari (he was in the office signing the papers) this was about ten yrs ago.....he looks at the final purchase price and notices its a thousand fuckin dollars more than it was yesterday. He asks the sales guy whats goin on and he tries to tell him its administrative costs. My dad (who works at gm AKA 5% off all gm cars and truck) is pissed now im sittin outside in this brand new safari(hurtin iknow but hey )van he comes out after like an hour. "get outta the truck we are outta here" ends up he talks to the owner and even he keeps beatin around the bush. so my dad tells him to fuck it, (hes a well known union rep at gm in the niagara region) and he better not hope to sell ne cars to some of the hundreds of guys he knows who work for general motors. (was the editior of the union paper as well) so he writes an article BURNING the dealership sooooooo bad! (went around the corner to another gm dealer and bought the truck that day...the salesman we dealt with was in heaven...we walk in and my dad is like yah i want to buy that safari right there i already tested it over at the other dealer and they fucked me.neways some dealers are pure trash and some are gold. we have bought our cars from central motors(the dealer in our town not welland, welland FUCKIn sucks) since then.