Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > General Chat

General Chat General chat about anything that doesn't fit in another section here

Old 06-11-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Default Dog owners bite back against insurers

http://online.wsj.com/public/article...html?mod=blogs

Dog owners are finally going on the attack against insurance companies for dropping or refusing coverage just because they own a certain type of dog.

my carbon footprint is bigger than yours
ZfrkS62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
5vz-fe
Regular User

That ridiculous, they could charge more, but refusing to insure is plain ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by 5vz-fe
That ridiculous, they could charge more, but refusing to insure is plain ridiculous.
They shouldn't even be allowed to charge more.

Old 06-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #4
5vz-fe
Regular User

well, they do have higer risk of incidents.......just like certain types of cars...
Old 06-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #5
DeMoN
Regular User

OMG these rules sux.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
ZfrkS62
Regular User

well, they do have higer risk of incidents.......just like certain types of cars...
You can't blame that on the dog though. It's the irresponsibility of the owner. Especially when 70% of the incidents occured with unfixed dogs. It's not the dogs fault his owner didn't shut down the testosterone factories.

Old 06-11-2006, 05:10 PM   #7
5vz-fe
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
You can't blame that on the dog though. It's the irresponsibility of the owner. Especially when 70% of the incidents occured with unfixed dogs. It's not the dogs fault his owner didn't shut down the testosterone factories.
Again, same with cars, becoz some teens decided to street race Hondas, others that are more considerate still have to pay the insurance premium. Nothing is fair, but to insurance company it's all about calculated risk and (guarantee) profit making.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #8
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by ZfrkS62
Again, same with cars, becoz some teens decided to street race Hondas, others that are more considerate still have to pay the insurance premium. Nothing is fair, but to insurance company it's all about calculated risk and (guarantee) profit making.
If you really think about it, insurance companies get away with profiteering

Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 AM   #9
StanAE86
Regular User

Yeah, it sucks. It's like what 5V says...it's just like cars. You pay more for a sports car because it has more performance and can get you into more trouble. Just like more "aggressive" breeds of dogs. But, like the article said, the studies don't necessarily take into account the prevelance of a breed. If a city has 100 dogs, and 90 are Rottweilers, guess what breed will have more "incidents"?

Still, I think it comes down to what Zfrk says...it's more about the owner who doesn't spend time with the dogs and doesn't train the dogs properly. My dog barks a mean bark, but if you come from inside the house to the backyard with people he recognizes, he's a gentle dog and just wants to play. If it's the middle of the night, and you're standing by the side gate to the house, he's barking like he's gonna' eat you.

You have to check your gates and the conditions of your fence, etc. As an owner, you have an added responsibility to make sure your dog does not get loose. You have an obligation to train your dog to behave. But too many owners are people who just want the dog as a trophy ("check it out dude, I got a Rott" or "Foo', I gots a Pitt") and do nothing to properly raise the dog, they just chain it to a tree and let it grow older (same could be said about the younger youths these days that have no respect for anyone). If you can't raise them right, don't own a dog...if you can't raise them right, don't have sex and procreate...you'd be doing society a favor...
Old 06-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
Viper5703
Regular User

Originally Posted by StanAE86
Yeah, it sucks. It's like what 5V says...it's just like cars. You pay more for a sports car because it has more performance and can get you into more trouble. Just like more "aggressive" breeds of dogs. But, like the article said, the studies don't necessarily take into account the prevelance of a breed. If a city has 100 dogs, and 90 are Rottweilers, guess what breed will have more "incidents"?

Still, I think it comes down to what Zfrk says...it's more about the owner who doesn't spend time with the dogs and doesn't train the dogs properly. My dog barks a mean bark, but if you come from inside the house to the backyard with people he recognizes, he's a gentle dog and just wants to play. If it's the middle of the night, and you're standing by the side gate to the house, he's barking like he's gonna' eat you.

You have to check your gates and the conditions of your fence, etc. As an owner, you have an added responsibility to make sure your dog does not get loose. You have an obligation to train your dog to behave. But too many owners are people who just want the dog as a trophy ("check it out dude, I got a Rott" or "Foo', I gots a Pitt") and do nothing to properly raise the dog, they just chain it to a tree and let it grow older (same could be said about the younger youths these days that have no respect for anyone). If you can't raise them right, don't own a dog...if you can't raise them right, don't have sex and procreate...you'd be doing society a favor...
I completely agree here. Ive seen some mean dogs from a lot of breeds, but also some of the nicest dogs I've seen have been Pit bulls and Rottwilers. (sp?) its basically up to the owners to train thier dogs properly. if you train any dog right it will be nice, but if not, you are in a pile.
Viper5703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:08 PM   #11
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by StanAE86

Exactly.

All 4 of my parents dogs will bark their heads off at you when you come in the front door and come barreling towards you with as much grip as their paws can muster on the hard wood floor (which has been destroyed by the 85lb Weimeriner). but if you look, their tails are going at about 150mph the whole time. The only violence that ensues is them pushing each other out of the way so they can be pet :roll: it's a pathetic sight really with all the danger of watching an F1 race on TV

the son of my dad's g/f has a Rot who looks big and burly but is as big a threat as an eyeless teddy bear The joke around the house was that any robber who broke in and saw him would be scared for about 10 seconds. Then the licking would start and we'd all be dead :roll:

Why is this? Because none of these dogs were abused, made to fight, or even hit when they pissed on the floor as pups. Responsible owners make responsible pets. For fuck sake, Springer Spaniels bite more people than Pitts.

Old 06-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
5vz-fe
Regular User

the son of my dad's g/f has a Rot who looks big and burly but is as big a threat as an eyeless teddy bear The joke around the house was that any robber who broke in and saw him would be scared for about 10 seconds. Then the licking would start and we'd all be dead
LMAO!!

True, a dog has to be trained to fight, it wont wake up 1 day and start chasing after ppl down and bite them. Of course, bad experience can also turn a dog, but those are special cases and mostly bad owners. But as I said, insurance company don't let go of any chances to raise ur house insurance.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #13
666fast
Regular User

the son of my dad's g/f has a Rot who looks big and burly but is as big a threat as an eyeless teddy bear Laughing The joke around the house was that any robber who broke in and saw him would be scared for about 10 seconds. Then the licking would start and we'd all be dead
My sister has a Rot, it's a big baby. The only thing he gets defensive over are my sisters kids.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #14
ZfrkS62
Regular User

Originally Posted by 666fast
the son of my dad's g/f has a Rot who looks big and burly but is as big a threat as an eyeless teddy bear Laughing The joke around the house was that any robber who broke in and saw him would be scared for about 10 seconds. Then the licking would start and we'd all be dead
My sister has a Rot, it's a big baby. The only thing he gets defensive over are my sisters kids.
dogs do have a tendency to protect small children. I think it's their paternal/maternal instinct