Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > Hobbies and Leisure Time > Computers, Consoles, Gadgets And Gizmos

Old 10-27-2004, 02:32 AM   #1
Zarkoff500
Regular User

Default Bad DirectSound Driver Error 88780078 help!

I've got an Athalon 2800+ 64 with 1 Gig of PC3200 Ram with Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Pro running windows XP Pro. I've haven't had problems with the sound (other than the sound seems to become corrupted after restarting from standby, a reboot cures this) and yesterday I installed service pack 2 and had no problems. Today when I try to listen to mp3's or wav's I get the following message: DirectSound output v2.2.10 error Bad DirectSound Driver Error 88780078. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers completely. I have removed the sound card and reinstalled it. While the sound card was out I enabled the onboard audio and I still get the same error. I have searched Deja and found numerous threads, but nothing definate on how to correct this. I've also uninstalled service pack 2 and I am still getting the same error. F-ing great. Can anyone help me?
Zarkoff500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
pyre2099
Regular User

I would contact customer service at both Creative and Microsoft, make sure you have as much info on the error as possible. really sucks to hear that its acting up
Old 10-28-2004, 11:16 PM   #3
shaikhmoiz

did you try to reinstall directx ?
Old 10-29-2004, 01:37 AM   #4
Zarkoff500
Regular User

I did call Microsoft and I must say that the language barrier with the customer service persons in India is no problem at all (sarcastic). I did a system restore and I now have sound back. I am still getting an error with Audigy 2 Platnum that says it is "Unable to Load the Theme Engine", but it doesn't seem to effect anything. Thanks for the info.
Zarkoff500 is offline   Reply With Quote