Go Back   Sports Car Forum - MotorWorld.net > General Discussion > Motorsport News And Discussion

Old 07-07-2004, 07:26 AM   #1
TopGearNL
Regular User

Default Ralf Schumacher is going to Toyota

He signed a contract for I believe 3 or 4 years, starting next year, there is also said that Flavio Briatore and Alonso from Renault are going to toyota, next year looks good for toyota
TopGearNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
dingo
Regular User

That will be good, I like it when the talent is spread over the different teams.
This is from formula1.com:

Ralf Schumacher signs for Toyota

Ralf Schumacher will race for Toyota next season after signing a three-year deal, the Japanese team announced on Wednesday.

"It is with pleasure that we can announce Ralf as one of Toyota's race drivers for the 2005 season,” said Toyota team principal Tsutomu Tomita. “He has proven himself to be an extremely quick racing driver in his career, and I am sure that his vast experience will be extremely beneficial to our team.”

Toyota could not confirm who would be Schumacher’s team mate next season, but said that both their current race drivers, Olivier Panis and Cristiano da Matta, were in the frame for the seat.

“We have not finalised who will partner Ralf in 2005, and this is something we are in no rush to decide on,” added Tomita. “We are happy with the job that Cristiano and Olivier are doing for us and both of them are under consideration for the remaining race seat next season.”

The team added that they will make a decision on the Schumacher's team mate towards the end of the season, insisting that they will not comment on any speculation or rumours surrounding the remaining race seat until all contractual issues have been finalised.

Schumacher, currently out injured after his high-speed crash at Indianapolis, made his Formula One debut in 1997 with Jordan. He joined Williams in 1999 and has since won six Grands Prix with the British team. Standing in for him again this weekend at Silverstone will be Williams test and reserve driver, Marc Gene.

Schumacher's Toyota contract officially begins on January 01, 2005, though the team said they hope to get him testing as soon as possible after this season's Brazilian Grand Prix.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:37 AM   #3
yg60m
Regular User

I am curious to see what he will made in another team, and how he will compare to another team mate.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #4
sameerrao
Regular User

He signed a contract for I believe 3 or 4 years, starting next year, there is also said that Flavio Briatore and Alonso from Renault are going to toyota, next year looks good for toyota
The potential Alonso move seems odd - he would be better off in the Renault methinks.

I am curious to see what he will made in another team, and how he will compare to another team mate.
Hopefully he will perform better. When Ralf first drove for Williams in 1999 and 2000 was a stunning driver - he was fast and consistent giving the poor Williams car points they didn't deserve. But since 2003 Monza (where he crashed in a test) he has not been driving well at all. I think it is better he takes the whole year off and gets back to 100% physical shape and come out hungry next year.

Ralf to me is unrealized potential. I guess a change will be good for him anyway.

However, the moot point is how is Toyota going to develop over the next three years. Is it going to improve and be a Renault/BAR in the making or just another another Jaguar that failed its initial promise.

A good driver cannot make up for any other shortcomings in the team. They need a fast car, good race strategy, good car development program and not least a good and experienced team behind Ralf.

"Tazio Nuvolari - The greatest driver of the past, the present and the future" - Ferdinand Porsche
sameerrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:17 PM   #5
SPAD
Regular User

I dont think alonso would be going to toyota.Why would he after renault has become the second best team in F1.
Old 07-07-2004, 02:01 PM   #6
fabro_s
Regular User

Its good the movements of racers to another teams, its always interesting seeing a new driver in a different car, I hope next year be good to toyota, but I dont want alonso out of Renault

"Perfezione Leggera Italiana"
fabro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
TopGearNL
Regular User

The potential Alonso move seems odd - he would be better off in the Renault methinks.
There's a big chance that Flavio Briatore is going to Toyota and thats why Alonso might go, afterall it was Flavio Briatore that gave Alonso a chance with Renault and thats a far better car then a Minardi(if you know what I mean)
However I would want Alonso to stay at Renault

By the way if still Microsoft wants to go in Formula 1 and they sponsor Toyota, well lets just say that the budget of Toyota will be very, very good
Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 PM   #8
chipanggo
Regular User

finally it's confirmed. ralf going to toyota was probably this season's worst kept secret. alonso going to toyota? hmm. maybe...but then again, mabe not.
chipanggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
TopGearNL
Regular User

Default Alonso and Briatore to Toyota

where did u get this idea of alonso and briatore going to toyota?
It was on the news in holland but it wasn't official, you have like this rumour thing at the news and there it was on, but if its true???